Greetings from Arkansas State

Why do you guys keep talking about Malzahn? Isn't coach Anderson a Larry Fedora disciple?

I'm a wolf in canes clothing!

Anderson will tell you his scheme is closer to Freeze's than Malzahn's.

Gus's system is really nothing more than the old Houston Veer if you are old enough to know what the Houston Veer is. Main difference is he moves one of the two RB's to either an H or wideout position and the QB backs up to take a shotgun snap and is really the second RB in the set. A fast durable QB who is a mediocre passer will get more playing time than an old fashioned drop back passer who can throw pinpoint bullets but can't run.

What Freeze/Anderson/Fedora do is closer to the old Mouse Davis Run and Shoot. The screen pass is part of the running game. Gus will use a jet sweep to get the ball wide, they will just toss it to a receiver.

Advertisement
As for the team on the other side of the state... George Schroeder of USA Today did a great story.
Executive summary. The Hogs don't have any rivalries so the fans spend their free time fighting against each other rather than opposing school fans.
http://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/04/16/arkansas-football-petrino

The fans forced a radio station to fire a reporter who came to a UArk press conference wearing the hat of another SEC school (not one on the Hogs schedule).

One of the TV stations in Little Rock and its sister station in Fayetteville don't have a sports segment most nights, they have "Razorback Nation". On the Sunday of the British Open the LEAD "sports" story was a former Lady Razorback golfer finished 20th in an LPGA event. You want NFL news? You aren't getting it unless it involves a former Hog player. The other stations will cover the Dallas Cowboys and St. Louis Cardinals but for the most part, they are all Hog all the time. One station in LR covers us but they hold the rights to the coach's show.

You put people in that sort of North Korean style propaganda bubble and you get fans who really believe they have a team that will contend for the BCS (or now CFP) and the Final Four despite having the only SEC program to make neither a bowl or the NCAA tournament the last two years.

And they pay their coach 5 million plus. That's a lot for 0 conference wins. Yes, I'm still ****ed about Alex Collins.

Advertisement
Arkansas State is hot garbage. It will say a lot about the state of this team if the game isn't over by halftime (which, judging by the FAMU game, it won't be).

Arkie State played a pretty poor UT team this past weekend, and made it semi respectable.

They're better than FAMU, 2 TDs worse than a bottom tier SEC team. If this is a tight game, I don't see another "W" on our schedule.

This isn't his latest 'test'. We should be able to sleepwalk into a win. The test is Nebraska. Lose that, and we won't win two more games this year.

Outstanding synopsis. I hope you revisit the board throughout the season. I have been following Arkansas St through their Rivals' sight. They mention a true Freshman RB who set records for Alabama high schools-I think is name is Hollingsworth. Is he the real goods? I notice he has seen some action without much results.

Advertisement
Outstanding synopsis. I hope you revisit the board throughout the season. I have been following Arkansas St through their Rivals' sight. They mention a true Freshman RB who set records for Alabama high schools-I think is name is Hollingsworth. Is he the real goods? I notice he has seen some action without much results.

Tank needs a year or two to be ready to be an impact player.

My brothers father-in-law, Don is a great guy. Thanks for the picture never seen this one before.

So, I guess Gregory is your brother's brother-in-law.

I don't really know Gregory--I just happened to find him on the internet about five years ago and we exchanged emails. I sent him a very short clip of Don's TD against UF in '56, a big victory for us up at Gainesville. Told Gregory how much I enjoyed watching his father play over the years, first at UM then with the Redskins. Back in the late 50's and early '60's, the southernmost team in the NFL was Washington. So, they did regional broadcasts every Sunday, and for years, I was treated to watching the Redskins play almost every weekend. The team was always pretty bad--but it was fun to hope they'd win a game now and then and of course I always rooted for Don.

I was around 9 years old when I started paying attention to Don. He was the big star at UM so he became my first hero in sports. That would have been about '56, his senior year.

I've found a few other things in the last year or so. I think there was an article in a local paper up in western NY about the Bosseler family after Don got famous. Actually, a good number of very good players came out of western Pennsylvania and western N.Y. back in the '50's and '60's. The last real star was Jim Burt from the Buffalo area in the late '70's, I guess. Kevin Brinkworth was originally a walkon I think in the '90's, when we had the scholarship reductions.

It was mostly blue collar kids from those areas. Football got them a chance at higher education. I guess there were not many community colleges back then.

In the case of the Bosseler family, they were probably pretty good students anyway, and would have had educational opportunities even without sports. I think Don's older brother played football for and graduated from Penn. That's impressive academically. (I hope I'm not wrong, just doing this from memory).

His younger brother, Billy, started at Miami but came in with an injured foot as I recall. I think he transferred back home after about a year. I don't know the entire story. IdahoCane, who used to post more on another Hurricanes site, was Billy's roommate his freshman year at UM.

Smalltown football in NY had more of a luster back in those days. One of the greatest players I ever saw was Ernie Davis of Syracuse, who died of leukemia before he could play a single game in the NFL. He ran through the Miami defense in the OB one year. It was probably around 1960. I was there. Davis was from Elmira NY. (The last good football player from a small town in NY that I can remember would be Mark May, who is not exactly loved by Miami fans).

Most of the kids on these boards have very little or no idea who the past Miami greats were. That includes Don, who happens to be one of the few from UM in the College Football HOF.

Some years back, I met a fellow in Washington who claimed to have played at Pitt back during that era. He told me he played against Jim Brown at Syracuse, and Don, and said Don was the better football player.

If I can find some interesting stuff, I'll post or send it along.

Glad you liked the picture. I'm sensitive to those who are offended by a derogatory name, which some Native Americans are. Still, I'm wondering, "Why now?" After all these years. Does it really do any damage anymore? Of course, the Redskins have put out a PR film with interviews with a number of Native Americans who are not offended, some say they have more important things to worry about. So, I'm very ambivalent about the whole thing.

Just some trivia: we had some pretty good Native American players back around '65 or so: Jim Wahnee and Andy Sixkiller. I think they were both from Oklahoma. They might have been Cherokee, I'm not sure.

Andy was working for one of the Miami area Fire Departments, but died a few years ago.

Take care.

Man, even when we were 5-6 with Coker playing BC for "bowl eligibility" I couldn't route against our Canes. Believe me, we don't need Arkansas State to beat us to get Golden fired and I would never route for some Sun Belt team to beat my Canes. Some of you guys are nuts. Pat "Nads" going to save us, got blow out by Oregon, everyone off that train yet? We got more problems than just Golden, comes from the top.

Nope . All great D coaches get lit up every now and again. Unlike ours who get lit 80 % of the time.

We played some miserable games against terrible teams under JJ. I can't remember which year it was, perhaps '87, when a group of us were sitting and listening to a game, perhaps Northern Illinois, or another mediocre midwest team, and we almost lost. It was scary how bad we played. Over the years, even our most dominating teams would at times play down to the competition. With some teams, it seems to happen. It didn't happen to the supposedly invincible greatest-of-all time '83 Cornhusker team--until they ran into us. I remember one conversation during the fall of '83 and some guys were saying they didn't think anybody in the history of college football could have ever beaten that '83 Nebraska team. They also opined that the Nebraska team could probably hold its own in the NFL. That was one of the few teams that didn't seem to have any close calls, as far as I can remember. They demolished everybody, except us.

Man, even when we were 5-6 with Coker playing BC for "bowl eligibility" I couldn't route against our Canes. Believe me, we don't need Arkansas State to beat us to get Golden fired and I would never route for some Sun Belt team to beat my Canes. Some of you guys are nuts. Pat "Nads" going to save us, got blow out by Oregon, everyone off that train yet? We got more problems than just Golden, comes from the top.

Nope . All great D coaches get lit up every now and again. Unlike ours who get lit 80 % of the time.

We played some miserable games against terrible teams under JJ. I can't remember which year it was, perhaps '87, when a group of us were sitting and listening to a game, perhaps Northern Illinois, or another mediocre midwest team, and we almost lost. It was scary how bad we played. Over the years, even our most dominating teams would at times play down to the competition. With some teams, it seems to happen. It didn't happen to the supposedly invincible greatest-of-all time '83 Cornhusker team--until they ran into us. I remember one conversation during the fall of '83 and some guys were saying they didn't think anybody in the history of college football could have ever beaten that '83 Nebraska team. They also opined that the Nebraska team could probably hold its own in the NFL. That was one of the few teams that didn't seem to have any close calls, as far as I can remember. They demolished everybody, except us.

Think it was Barry Switzer who said a coach can get a team "up" to play better than their normal ability two maybe three times a season. Rest of the time winning was about having the most talent.

Advertisement

Think it was Barry Switzer who said a coach can get a team "up" to play better than their normal ability two maybe three times a season. Rest of the time winning was about having the most talent.

That's how Boise St did it, get up for 2 games, then pound bad teams.

That's how Boise St did it, get up for 2 games, then pound bad teams.

We're in the same boat. After you guys, our last 9 games of the season are Utah State and 8 Sun Belt Schools. I don't know what Vegas thinks of USU after they've struggled the first two weeks, but we'll be favored in every game the rest of the season with the exception of the game at Louisiana Lafayette, and possibly the game at Texas State.

Advertisement
Back