Greatest Miami Receiver

rustywalkedaway

Sophomore
Purgatory
This is my attempt not to take over another thread currently working.

Who do you think was the "greatest" Miami WR? Greatest might mean most talented, had greatest stats, had greatest impact, etc.. Explain who and why. Replies with just a name misses the point. I'll start.

1. Eddie Brown - the first local kid to make the Miami passing game, and attitude, national.
2. Michael Irvin - not really much to say. Perhaps personified "the U".

Advertisement
It's almost impossible to pick just one but if forced to choose I'll say Irvin. He always made an impact in the biggest games.

Advertisement
Eddie Brown or Irvin. Eddie was absolutely filthy with the ball in his hands. Not only was he a major part of the Canes rise to prominence he was key to getting the f'ing Bengals to the SB, the Bengals!

Irvin, the bigger the stage the bigger he played. THE PLAYMAKER!

Go Canes!

From 1980s till now....

These are the 5 that I feel you can debate as to who is the best all-time

Michael "Playmaker" Irvin
Andre Johnson
Santana Moss
"Downtown" Eddie Brown
Reggie Wayne

Then after that you got guys like....

Leonard Hankerson, Lamar "Lamartacus" Thomas, Phillip Dorsett, Brian Blades, Allen Hurns, Wesley Carroll, Horace "Hi-C" Copeland, Randal "Thrill" Hill, Kevin Williams, Dale Dawkins, Travis "TB3" Benjamin, Brett Perriman, Roscoe Parrish, Andre Brown, Rocky Belk, Yatil Green etc.

Who were all either great or good in their own right too.

Advertisement
How good would Irvin be in the offenses today? It would be ridiculous. Jimmy Johnson had that guy in a 3 point stance for goodness sakes. All time favorite.

Reggie Wayne is the most underrated. Was not as fast as Moss and over shadowed by all the other stars but was just so productive. His greatest catch might have been a diving over the head catch vs Washington in the back of the Endzone but it has never been played on highlights because we lost that game. Even Wayne in the NFL has gotten overlooked having a hall of fame career. And people wonder why WR's dance in the endzone.

Most over rated is Andre Johnson. Won a title here but was not productive when needed in my opinion. Should have dominated Ohio St and instead had drops, one for and INT. Guys Physical gifts got him attention in the NFL but never had a 10 TD season. Production just never met the hype.

Eddie Brown was probably the Best, Irvin was better in the NFL, Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson were good college players but Eddie was a superb player.

Santana! Just because hes the reason I fell in love w Miami. Most fun cane to watch with hester and ST close behind for me.

Advertisement
How good would Irvin be in the offenses today? It would be ridiculous. Jimmy Johnson had that guy in a 3 point stance for goodness sakes. All time favorite.

Reggie Wayne is the most underrated. Was not as fast as Moss and over shadowed by all the other stars but was just so productive. His greatest catch might have been a diving over the head catch vs Washington in the back of the Endzone but it has never been played on highlights because we lost that game. Even Wayne in the NFL has gotten overlooked having a hall of fame career. And people wonder why WR's dance in the endzone.

Most over rated is Andre Johnson. Won a title here but was not productive when needed in my opinion. Should have dominated Ohio St and instead had drops, one for and INT. Guys Physical gifts got him attention in the NFL but never had a 10 TD season. Production just never met the hype.

I disagree. While Johnson did have a poor game against Ohio State so did everyone on offense not named Kellen Winslow, Jr. His numbers at Miami were good when you consider the talent around him.

In the NFL he's had 1,053 receptions for 14,100 yards and 77 touchdowns on average teams with average-at-best quarterbacks most of his career. His career is a bit like Tim Brown's. Brown eventually made the HOF.

Reggie Wayne played with a GOAT QB in Manning, and was second to Marvin Harrison most of his time in Indianapolis. Still, he is a sure HOF candidate in my opinion.

I would rank Cane WRs in this order:

Michael Irvin
Eddie Brown
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Santana Moss

Advertisement
From 1980s till now....

These are the 5 that I feel you can debate as to who is the best all-time

Michael "Playmaker" Irvin
Andre Johnson
Santana Moss
"Downtown" Eddie Brown
Reggie Wayne

Then after that you got guys like....

Leonard Hankerson, Lamar "Lamartacus" Thomas, Phillip Dorsett, Brian Blades, Allen Hurns, Wesley Carroll, Horace "Hi-C" Copeland, Randal "Thrill" Hill, Kevin Williams, Dale Dawkins, Travis "TB3" Benjamin, Brett Perriman, Roscoe Parrish, Andre Brown, Rocky Belk, Yatil Green etc.

Who were all either great or good in their own right too.

You putting Hank and Dorsett in the same group as blades, hill, Carroll, etc? Yikes.

Dre was the most physically gifted WR I've seen at UM. Moss was pretty ridiculously athletic too and people overlook that. He had to catch some terrible moon balls from Kenny Kelly.

However, best IMO was Irvin.

Advertisement
Back