Great write up on new Director of Sports Science

Never personal, man! Sometimes, albeit rarely, on the internet because can have civilized debates without being jerks or yelling epithets at each other LOL.

It’s definitely rare; but u guys r good ppls. We’ve had civilized discussions around this. I respect both you & @AlphaMarshan as posters, so I know I can have a good back & forth discussion to bring some good points to the table.

Advertisement
@Rellyrell ....Absolute mind boggling. If people knew the true stories (not the BS people like to spew) they'd be stunned. UMs administration should have been ashamed of
themselves. Nit picked Butch to no end.
The weird part is that our most amazing teams and nfl ready talent was at its prime with brokeass equipment, etc

It's hard to reconcile?

download (4).jpeg

Ha. You're better off asking what few things have we been doing. There are countless lowly *message board posters* who've done deep dives into our general infrastructure weaknesses and apathetic approach. It's nice a group of influential people finally cared and realized this will benefit the entire f'in university.

Wild to think about considering how they’d continue to sell “champion ship football” with every new coaching hire. Ultimately though, does all this equate to additional wins? If so, is it good enough for consistent 9 - 10 wins a season and playing for conference chips? Guess we will find out soon enough. Also, thanks for a response. Go Canes.

Wild to think about considering how they’d continue to sell “champion ship football” with every new coaching hire. Ultimately though, does all this equate to additional wins? If so, is it good enough for consistent 9 - 10 wins a season and playing for conference chips? Guess we will find out soon enough. Also, thanks for a response. Go Canes.
One step at a time, I think. Everything - investment, etc. - indicates they're gearing toward playoff expectations. No idea how long that will take, and we still have to actually win on the field (this season and beyond). I'm not one with unreasonable expectations for this season. At the same time, we should not drop an unnecessary amount of games to ACC opponents, either.

Advertisement
Always enjoy dissenting opinion from you, it's never personal. I think we've been having this discussion for like 2 years now lol.

To be clear, I agree with you too especially regarding the infrastructure and investment into S&C and nutrition; it's clear we've been leagues behind the top programs in CFB.

I think your list of players actually makes my point for me, there's one or two 5-stars in there with a whole lot of 3's. That's good enough for the ACC but it's why we all knew we were going to get absolutely trounced by Bama and Clemson, which happened. We simply did not have the caliber of athletes on the line to deal with them.

Now give me the same list of players from Bama. They don't even know what a 3-star is. From the outside, it looks like they have some sort of special training program that makes their athletes better, but they don't, they have better athletes with a higher ceiling - and yeah, maybe some special sauce on top.

I was at a S&C conference a few years ago where a Bama assistant posted their periodization program, it really wasn't anything special. I also got a copy of Mickey Marotti's program when he was at Florida (Ohio State now) and again, it's nothing special.

I also don't really understand the resume issue with Feeley, what exactly was he missing? Your S&C coach is either implementing correct training protocols, or he isn't. He had a strong educational background and work history; just because he was at Temple means nothing to me, and likewise, Scott Cochran at Bama got WAYYYYY too much credit for the work he did which, again, was good but nothing special.

Training Julio Jones in college isn't hard. At all.

****, if DeVonta Smith is here at UM, everyone on CIS freaks out that he's too small. The difference is that he's a 5-star WR and can actually catch the ball, unlike Pope.

I happen to know a famous track coach, and he flat out told me that regardless of what 'help' you give the guys (legal or otherwise) and whatever the training methods are (modern or antiquated), those advantages are really measured in fractions of seconds, and that you still needed guy who hit the genetic lottery to truly compete at the world-class level.

The material you get to work with, absolutely matters

One step at a time, I think. Everything - investment, etc. - indicates they're gearing toward playoff expectations. No idea how long that will take, and we still have to actually win on the field (this season and beyond). I'm not one with unreasonable expectations for this season. At the same time, we should not drop an unnecessary amount of games to ACC opponents, either.
I’m with you. Looking forward to a disciplined tough team that won’t **** the bed when facing some divisional opponents. Those are more hopes at least.

I happen to know a famous track coach, and he flat out told me that regardless of what 'help' you give the guys (legal or otherwise) and whatever the training methods are (modern or antiquated), those advantages are really measured in fractions of seconds, and that you still needed guy who hit the genetic lottery to truly compete at the world-class level.

The material you get to work with, absolutely matters
T&F is a little different from football and other team sports in that it’s all about pure “outputs.” So I agree with your statement but it doesn’t apply much to football. Sure there’s a minimum threshold of athleticism or whatever term you want to use but beyond that point the technical/tactical variables are numerous and more important than chasing numbers in a weight room.

Advertisement
Back