Grading the Coaching Staff

tsimonitis

Senior
Premium
Saw this thread over on the Scout board, but the opinions that I care about are here. Anyone want to take a swing?

Fisch-OC
Robinson-RB
Carroll-TE/Recruiting
McDonald-WR
Kehoe-OL

D'Onfrio-DC
Franklin-DL
Barrow-LB
Williams-DB

Golden-HC

Advertisement
For me its too early to judge. Some of these coaches were stuck in really bad spots (ie: D'Onfrio, Williams, pretty much all D coaches).

Overall I'm happy with the coaching so far.

Too early to give grades but I think you have to be pleased with the direction

We've cleaned up penalties, presently sitting at 29th in PYPG compared to 114th last year. Turnovers have improved. Special team play is much better.

The biggest question mark to me is the whole Morris thing last game. I just don't get it.

Why can't they be judged on what they've done thus far?

subject to change if someone can talk me one way or another.

Fisch-OC b+
Ohnofrio -DC d-

Saw this thread over on the Scout board, but the opinions that I care about are here. Anyone want to take a swing?

Fisch-OC
Robinson-RB
Carroll-TE/Recruiting
McDonald-WR
Kehoe-OL

D'Onfrio-DC
Franklin-DL
Barrow-LB
Williams-DB

Golden-HC

Fisch: B
Robinson: B
McDonald: A-
Kehoe: C-
Carroll: B

Franklin: B-
Barrow: B
Williams: B- Don't feel he has had much to work with
D'Onofrio: B See above comment

Golden: B Has had some adversity, but like the direction of the program.

Advertisement
Prior to this season I was really unsure about Fisch as OC. I thought he was one of our weakest hires, but I think he's definitely proved me wrong. I love the offense he has put together along with his play calling. Us not being able to gain 1-2 yards when it matters has nothing to do with him -- it falls completely on the players IMO. I think that's been our only weakness on offense for the most part. Our turnovers have been severely limited compared to last season with mostly the same players. He takes what the D gives us, whether it's passing or rushing. I feel like we've almost been able to score at will as long as our players don't commit stupid penalties or turn the ball over. Very few times have we gone 3 and out without a penalty, and I feel like that happened every other possession last year. Our offensive productivity has gone through the roof compared to last year and I think a lot of it has to do with coaching. I give him an A.

Still not sold on D'Onofrio, I'd give him a C at this point. On defense it seems like it's a lot harder to tell how much of the breakdowns are because of the players or coaching/playcalling. If a guy is not in the right spot it could be because of the play call, but just as easily it could be because the player was freelancing or just f'd up. We don't seem to have as many mistackles as we did last year and our guys are finally swarming to the ball, which is nice. But we aren't creating much pressure either and the soft zone **** kills me.

if the defense can continue to play the way it has played the last couple of games for the rest of the year (including bowl game) then I will be very excited for the future. I didn't really anticipate the kind of struggles we've had on defense this year. I thought we would struggle some but the play at times has been beyond awful.

but we have seen some glimpses of where this defense could be with the right personnel

Fisch- B
Robinson- B+
Carrol- B+(Mainly because of the recruiting)
McDonald- A
Kehoe- B-

D'Onofrio- C+(With room to improve, the defense IS getting better.)
Franklin-C+ (That line has been depleted with injuries, I think he has done a fairly decent job considering what he has. The defensive line is also getting better.)
Barrow- B-
Williams- C-

Golden- B

I'm actually debating on giving Ohnofrio an F. When I watch Boston College trot out two true forsh DT's, a true wlb, a true ss as straters and give 2 true frosh cb's major mins with serveral other true forsh in the 2 deep vs Maryland and beat them it just makes his performnce vs Maryland look worse and worse.

The only thing saving him is atleast he does well against most one-demensional teams

Advertisement

Fisch-OC - B+
Robinson-RB C (we have some studs here. 1000 yard rusher is good but we should run the ball much better.
Carroll-TE/Recruiting - B (Walford has shown up)
McDonald-WR - A-
Kehoe-OL - C

D'Onfrio-DC - C
Franklin-DL - C-
Barrow-LB no grade, our LBs have been so thin this year its impossible to grade that position
Williams-DB - C+

Golden-HC

This is based only on what I have seen on the field as compared to the last 2 years.

agree with robinson. c or worse grade and it wouldn't bother me. Miami's rb's miss way to many blocks. Don't seem to recall this happening last year as much.

Fisch: B
Robinson: C+
McDonald: A
Kehoe: C-
Carroll: ?/C+

Franklin: B (not a great deal to work with)
Barrow: C+
Williams: C+ (not much to work with at Corner, but Safeties have looked worse than before)
D'Onofrio: B

Golden: C+ Positive direction, but 0-5 in close games.

That FSU game was a major improvement for our Defense and was good to see how far they have come......I will give all our coaches a pass and want to see what they can do with the kids they recruit...Just my .2 cent.....

Advertisement
I'm gonna hold off on the whole "our defense is getting better" thing for now.

We also played pretty good defense vs Georgia Tech if I remember correctly. Then we proceed to **** the bed from then on.

Coach D get's a "D" to an "F" in my book thus far. There are a lot of teams that do more with less than we do. Stop trying to fit a round peg into a square hole and adjust to your personel already.

With that said, I believe that Coach Golden is the guy to turn this ship around in the near future.

Fish: B....B+ until he decided to play Morris...deserves a lot of credit for Jacory's play...can get a little cute...Lamar getting hurt really hampered him

Robinson: B...Miller has been dinged up and he's gotten something out of Clements. James just isn't very explosive and was dinged up too. Hagens looks good...got something out of Calhoun.

McDonald: B-...deserves credit for Streeter, although most of that is the result of harder work by Tommy himself...Benjamin has regressed a bit...Byrd has been invisible...Hurns has regressed a bit although he was nicked up...Dorsett has been okay...this unit started off great but has dropped off somewhat considerably.

Kehoe: B-...not his fault Seantrel went down...Lamar ran soft for a few games...pass protection was very good until FSU...should have made BW the LT from day 1...has gotten a lot out of Feliciano, Gunn, Horn, and Linder. Bunche and Jermaine have been dinged up...Wheeler, JLew, McDermott have all improved.

Carrol: B...not a ton to work with after Ayles went down...Walford and Dye both look good...tough to make a blocker out of Chase Ford...Asante is hurt...losing Cory White doesn't help...Perry just got moved to kicker, then DE, then back to TE, now he's a punter.

Franklin: B-...lot of injuries but the pass rush has been sorry...D.Smith, Ojomo, Chick, Olivier are bright spots

Barrow: C+...aside from Spence and Denzel this unit has been awful...some of that falls on D'onofrio

Williams: B-...has gotten something out of Jojo and Mike Williams...T'maque has been okay...McGee has gotten better...new system...no depth here

Golden: B if we finish 8-5...C+ if we finish 7-6...C- if we finish 6-7...D- if we finish 5-7

I think McDonald gets at least an A- just for the fact that it has been quite noticeable about the lack of drops we have had as compared to last year.

Advertisement
Fraklin get's a d- from me. I think he has some good players to work with but i don't see any hand usuage, no moves whatso ever being performed but that could be coach D especially if he wants thse guys to play 2 gaps. nonethe less the pass rush is pathetic. When forston was in he looked worse. regis...i actuallu thought he might break out but he looks worse.

coach D is so bad not sure how much blame you can put on the assitants imo. wish i had time to watch these games over to really gte a good look at some of this stuff.

Fisch - he's pretty good, but his inexperience shows from time to time. He's still young enough to expect some growth as a coach, and I expect him to keep showing improvement. The main thing he needs to learn is not to get too cute when you are dominating your opponent. Save the cuteness for when your oline can't hack it and you need something lucky.

McDonald - I like the way the receivers have looked this year. Not too many drops, good blocking, nice hustle. Like the kids we've recruited at wide receiver too (not sure if he is the only voice on this). Good hands, leapers, lanky kids.

Richardson - hard to judge a RB coach. Too many fumbles this year though.

Carroll - tight ends have been inconsistent. Biggest issue is playing Chase Ford in short yardage situations. Not sure what he has control over.

Kehoe - It was a mistake bringing back Art Kehoe. I've seen us lose close games the way we always did when Kehoe was last our oline coach, because we couldn't run the football when it matters.

D'Onofrio - The defense has improved, and the scheme looks a little different than it did at the start of the year. The fundamentals are improving. He's gonna need another offseason, but I'm still confident in his ability as a coach.

Franklin - Hard to tell with so many injuries on the dline.

Barrow - If he's the special teams coach, great job. If he's the linebackers coach, he gets a similar grade to Franklin.

Williams - The players stink, but I'm not sure if he has anyone else to put in the game.

Golden - Love the way he runs the program. As a gameday coach, he's made some good decisions and some bad decisions. Definitely an upgrade over the prior regime.

Advertisement
Back