Grading the Canes

dg151

Sophomore
This is something I've been messing with the last few weeks that I want to do this season. It started as a weekly X&Os review type thing and I've grown it out a bit and wanted some feedback on what people would be interested in seeing. There are a few things I definitely want to include and then others I'm iffier on (partially because the time investment is high). One of the primary parts of this would be the weekly X&Os article I mentioned before, with a breakdown of what plays/formations/alignments we ran and how often. This would also include a "highlights" part where I do an in depth breakdown of a few big plays, plays I liked/didn't like, and requested plays if someone saw something they were curious about.

The other part would be doing in depth stats/grades. The easier part would be QB charting, WR/DB catch %/yards/etc, # of snaps for each player. The stuff I'm not sure on would be in depth OL/front 7 stats (pancakes, drive blocks, stalemates etc), or complete player grades in the style of what PFF does for the NFL. I'm iffiest on the PFF style grades because they're entirely opinion based stats that people then use as facts, and they're hard as **** to do on broadcasts. If it's something people definitely wanted to see I might try it out to see how it goes though.

So yea, basically just looking for feedback to see what people are interested in seeing, whether it be the above mentioned or some other type of stuff that I haven't thought of.

Advertisement
I wouldn't mess with complete player grades. If someone plays particularly well or poorly, it's pretty obvious to all. Also keep in mind they're still college kids and not banking sizeable paychecks like the pros. Grading is also subjective and not sure who is qualified for the task, so probably best left to the coaching staff.
Like a lot of what you're suggesting, especially QB charting, WR/DB catch %/yards/etc, # of snaps for each player. The # of snaps is telling and definitely hard to track when you're at the stadium or watching on TV.

I for one would love to see it, I get to focused on only the ball and not what made or destroyed the play.

Yea I think I'm gonna pass on the player grades, the rest of the stats should tell a better story, and I'm definitely gonna do the OL/front 7 stuff, and also add some RB stuff with yards after contact.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back