Grades for A&M game

firstandcanes

Sophomore
Offense: D
It seems harsh to go this low when we outgained A&M, held time of possession advantage, and ran the ball effectively most of the game. But, TVD and the wide receivers and the red zone ineptitude really bring this grade down. The O line played well for the most part but had some bad penalties that killed drives.

Defense: B
Solid effort from the defense for the most part. It's hard to put the first td solely on them because of the muffed punt. A&M leaves a lot to be desired on offense thus far but other than two drives we shut them down. There's still room for improvement and forcing a turnover or two could have changed the outcome of this game.

Special Teams: F-
First off failing to get a touchback and allowing a big return gave A&M momentum from the jump. One badly missed FG and one blocked. Downing a punt at the one only to have a penalty that wipes it out. Aaaaaannnnnddddd.......the muffed punt. I know it was early in the game but that cost us the game. Inexcusable.

I think most everyone who is rational penciled this game in as a loss before the season. But this one stings because this game was there for the taking if we played clean and executed. We'll see how this loss looks at the end of the year with how A&M finishes out.

Advertisement
It seems harsh to go this low when we outgained A&M, held time of possession advantage, and ran the ball effectively most of the game. But, TVD and the wide receivers and the red zone ineptitude really bring this grade down. The O line played well for the most part but had some bad penalties that killed drives.

Solid effort from the defense for the most part. It's hard to put the first td solely on them because of the muffed punt. A&M leaves a lot to be desired on offense thus far but other than two drives we shut them down. There's still room for improvement and forcing a turnover or two could have changed the outcome of this game.

First off failing to get a touchback and allowing a big return gave A&M momentum from the jump. One badly missed FG and one blocked. Downing a punt at the one only to have a penalty that wipes it out. Aaaaaannnnnddddd.......the muffed punt. I know it was early in the game but that cost us the game. Inexcusable.

I think most everyone who is rational penciled this game in as a loss before the season. But this one stings because this game was there for the taking if we played clean and executed. We'll see how this loss looks at the end of the year with how A&M finishes out.
You missed not recovering their muffed punt.

I hope we see a fade at some point this season. Gotta take at least one shot per red zone trip. Who cares if they know it’s coming.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coaching gets a D. Kevin Steele is bringing that number from an F to a D with his performance. I just can’t comprehend what the 100 million dollar coaching staff put on display last night

If no one showed me our sideline all game I would have thought that was manny with the decision making. Unbelievable

Don’t forget 4 guys around 1 and you can’t get over their muffed punt inside the 10.

K Smith let up early when the ball started to be caught and it cost him the 2-3 inches he needed to recover it. Blades didn’t get physical enough on A Smith to prevent him from falling on it. No doubt if it was couch he would have come up with it.. he just plays tougher than that.

Won’t go down as a ST mistake but it was a missed opportunity.

A&M is bad, looking at their schedule I can see 4 more losses. Our passing game and special teams need to improve dramatically especially with X out at least 6 weeks.

Advertisement
Defense deserves an A.. maybe an A- but basically held them to 10 points and 264 total yards...

You missed grading Coaches:
Coaches: D+
Would like to grade a C but that means Satisfactory and this game was Unsatisfactory. Painful loss that should have been a W. Why not Garcia for a few series? That’s on HC. OC has got to get these Receivers going. Everyone else has already pointed out mistakes across the teams. This was a W but a real team L.

Tvd and the receivers should be practicing every day for 8 hours. No more going out. No more golfing. No more beer pong. Get it right now.
I hope that’s all it takes, but every player has a ceiling and we might have to face the reality that the ceiling for our current batch of wide receivers, at least for this year, is not that high.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back