Got caught twice

So when Miami has this particular protection scheme called, in conjunction with a HB play fake (or screen where he isn't in the protection scheme) they need to be on alert. They are vulnerable up the middle and have been bitten hard on it a couple times.

I said in the uf breakdown that they need to consider scrapping the play or abandoning the play fake to ensure that the qb has the time needed.

I get the fact that sometimes defenses just win with their play calls but you can alert yourself when your protection scheme leaves you open down main street.

It is remarkable that Jarren even got this play off vs. UNC.

I just don’t understand why we do our play fakes on passing downs so often.

The defense NEVER bites and it just allows the pass rush to tee off on Jarren.

I like heavy use of play fakes, but prefer them on run downs after establishing the run.

With a young QB, I would emphasize quick reads and short routes on three step drops for the pass game and lean on my talented rbs to take pressure off him and keep him out of passing downs.

It has worked well for Longo and Howell and unc is one of the early season surprises.

Seems like we are always outthinking ourselves.

Advertisement
I just don’t understand why we do our play fakes on passing downs so often.

The defense NEVER bites and it just allows the pass rush to tee off on Jarren.

I like heavy use of play fakes, but prefer them on run downs after establishing the run.

With a young QB, I would emphasize quick reads and short routes on three step drops for the pass game and lean on my talented rbs to take pressure off him and keep him out of passing downs.

It has worked well for Longo and Howell and unc is one of the early season surprises.

Seems like we are always outthinking ourselves.

While I was watching Enos Arkansas film I really wanted to focus on consecutive games vs Alabama. One year, put up a lot of points 49-30 in 2016 then followed it back up with 44-9 in 2017. Both losses of course and to his defense his 2017 team was nowhere the talented level than the year before. But in 2016 I saw an offense that was multiple, **** bent on beating man, shifted and really created confusion pre-snap.

I could tell why Saban had an attraction to him and hired him after 2017. But that 2017 game I took a note that read "Blitzed him heavily on early downs and was caught multiple times on play-action."

While I was watching Enos Arkansas film I really wanted to focus on consecutive games vs Alabama. One year, put up a lot of points 49-30 in 2016 then followed it back up with 44-9 in 2017. Both losses of course and to his defense his 2017 team was nowhere the talented level than the year before. But in 2016 I saw an offense that was multiple, **** bent on beating man, shifted and really created confusion pre-snap.

I could tell why Saban had an attraction to him and hired him after 2017. But that 2017 game I took a note that read "Blitzed him heavily on early downs and was caught multiple times on play-action."

Blitzing playaction is a good idea. Teams also blitz young qbs to test their mettle.

When the oc is prepared with a solid quick passing game, the blitz becomes a HUGE liability, especially the zone blitz. Teams prepare for our pass rush with three step drop and we get burned blitzing. That’s why averages qbs have looked so good against us.

They complete easy passes into big gaps in the defense and the quarterback’s confidence goes sky high.

It’s like we refuse to accept this simple concept on both sides of the ball.

YOU CAN’T BLITZ THE THREE STEP DROP. Only time it works is in tight man with no free relaeases and you are one on one on the outside for a quick fly or fade. Mistakes lead to tds like the one Bandy gave up.

You have to play in the receivers hip pocket and trust your front four to beat the quick pass offense. It takes pass rushers out of the game and tests the discipline of your coverage. But if you make the quarterback come off the first and second read, you got a shot to get pressure.

There’s a reason **** Lebeau and Dom Capers’ success started to wane after having massive success with the zone blitz.

Hopefully we can get our game plans fitted better to the core big picture principles of football strategy and not think ourselves into unnecessary losses.

These guys have a lot of knowledge about the small details of football needed to win. It can be easy to put your team in bad positions getting lost in the details of execution.

Roman the one thing that I like about Enos offense is that he is really varied, he seems to adjust his formations well to another look once the Defense adjusts to one formation. At one point North Carolina had no Answer for Enos Offense, Jarren was moving the team downfield consistently.

The other thing IMO, is that this OLine is going to be real good in the very near future, if they keep that line up we had Saturday.

I think Enos is a good Coach/OC and Barry will prove to be a very good Oline coach.

**** I loved that Wham Block by Brevin Jordan, that sprung DJ Dallas, nice nice nice!!!

Thought the offensive line was much better this week. I liked the creative run designs on things. Enos is in fact a very multiple formation play caller. I haven't really trended the formation counts to date, but he isn't shy in that department. Seen 11 set, 12 set, 13 set personnel, 22 too. The guy has is proverbial S together.

Said this on the podcast, but this is an offense that will take time to gel. It has a lot of moving parts and his an NFL pro staple to it. I wish it would have done it with a 2-0 start. But we will have to settle for 2-2 in two weeks.
Blitzing playaction is a good idea. Teams also blitz young qbs to test their mettle.

When the oc is prepared with a solid quick passing game, the blitz becomes a HUGE liability, especially the zone blitz. Teams prepare for our pass rush with three step drop and we get burned blitzing. That’s why averages qbs have looked so good against us.

They complete easy passes into big gaps in the defense and the quarterback’s confidence goes sky high.

It’s like we refuse to accept this simple concept on both sides of the ball.

YOU CAN’T BLITZ THE THREE STEP DROP. Only time it works is in tight man with no free relaeases and you are one on one on the outside for a quick fly or fade. Mistakes lead to tds like the one Bandy gave up.

You have to play in the receivers hip pocket and trust your front four to beat the quick pass offense. It takes pass rushers out of the game and tests the discipline of your coverage. But if you make the quarterback come off the first and second read, you got a shot to get pressure.

There’s a reason **** Lebeau and Dom Capers’ success started to wane after having massive success with the zone blitz.

Hopefully we can get our game plans fitted better to the core big picture principles of football strategy and not think ourselves into unnecessary losses.

These guys have a lot of knowledge about the small details of football needed to win. It can be easy to put your team in bad positions getting lost in the details of execution.

Strong work

Advertisement
Speaking of this point, I responded with this on twitter (wanting a fade)

But Brad Kaaya's response to me was LEGEND....lololol

Mike Harley was EXCELLENT running fades in the red zone last year, why change

In all seriousness, if that is the playcall, who is getting the opportunity? Mallory? Hightower?

I get that. But are Linebackers coached to completely turn their hips like that? Everyone else has the play in front them it seems.

I wouldn’t be surprised if ours were coached to do that.

That’s how little faith I have in the position cosching on this team except for QB

Mike Harley was EXCELLENT running fades in the red zone last year, why change

In all seriousness, if that is the playcall, who is getting the opportunity? Mallory? Hightower?

You would hope the height-ened ones would get the chance

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back