Good things are starting to happen (Radakovich)...

Yeah except it’s not that easy. Title IX isn’t just scholarships. You have to also to have equitable facilities, staffing, equipment, resources, etc. You can’t just put a field with a few bleachers and call it a day when baseball has a full stadium, locker rooms, cages, etc.

Stop the madness.

You don't have to have equivalent "full stadium" seating. You don't need to build as many seats for softball as what we have for Mark Light.

Nobody was suggesting a softball stadium without locker rooms. Batting cages could conceivably be shared, but it's not like a batting cage is some complicated thing to build. You could easily build one along Ponce, but on the north side of campus. Easy.

As far as "staffing", it's not complicated. It is actually assumed in the entire process of adding a new sport. Besides, the third assistant coach in baseball is a VOLUNTEER position. So we are not talking about some massive staff requirement for softball.

Equipment? Holy crap, adidas is getting off EASY right now. Of all their "flagship" programs, Miami probably has the fewest sports teams. If adidas had to start providing us with softball gear tomorrow, I doubt they would have a problem with it. Plus it just gives them more exposure. Softball puts a SURPRISINGLY high number of games on the ESPN channels.

I never said Title IX was "only" scholarships, but you are making this overly complicated. Relax. We don't need to build "Mark Light II". We just...don't...

Advertisement
Stop the madness.

You don't have to have equivalent "full stadium" seating. You don't need to build as many seats for softball as what we have for Mark Light.

Nobody was suggesting a softball stadium without locker rooms. Batting cages could conceivably be shared, but it's not like a batting cage is some complicated thing to build. You could easily build one along Ponce, but on the north side of campus. Easy.

As far as "staffing", it's not complicated. It is actually assumed in the entire process of adding a new sport. Besides, the third assistant coach in baseball is a VOLUNTEER position. So we are not talking about some massive staff requirement for softball.

Equipment? Holy crap, adidas is getting off EASY right now. Of all their "flagship" programs, Miami probably has the fewest sports teams. If adidas had to start providing us with softball gear tomorrow, I doubt they would have a problem with it. Plus it just gives them more exposure. Softball puts a SURPRISINGLY high number of games on the ESPN channels.

I never said Title IX was "only" scholarships, but you are making this overly complicated. Relax. We don't need to build "Mark Light II". We just...don't...
I never said it had to be a full stadium. I just said you can’t “throw a field and a few bleachers.” And equipment isn’t just sport equipment. It’s also weight room, training room, etc. Yes we have some shared facilities now, but if you add a couple sports, you run out of time availability, so you gotta build more. All things that have to be considered. Could we add them all? Sure. But a lot more to it then most people think about. Not trying to make it overly complicated. Just talking about the reality of it.

Soccer seems like a no brainer at Miami. I wonder if that’s in the radar.

The ACC is also 1 team short of being an Automatic Qualifier conference for the NCAA tournament in Lacrosse..just sayin

Advertisement
Stop the madness.

No SEC school has a softball stadium anywhere close to size of their baseball stadium. Miami can build a nice and appropriate softball stadium.

Women's softball???

Oh goodie. UM could use an additional 25 ******* eeerrrrr "same ***" chicks on campus, I guess. Chick softball is a joke of a sport. They play on the same size field as 9 year old boys. That said, I think it could be a real sport but they need to go to a 50/70 diamond with 300' fences. Playing on a 45/60 diamond with 200-210' fences is childish. The entire sport is pitching, walks, and bunting.

As others have noted, UM not having a men's soccer team is fraudulent. South Florida is a hotbed for soccer talent. The ACC is the premier soccer conference in the NCAA. Yet we're talking about adding chick softball. C'mon, meng!!
Wow

For added context, he started up a softball team at Clemson 2 years ago. He hired a coach who’d had success at Stanford.

Their first season was cut short by Covid.

In their second season, they won the ACC, hosted a regional, and finished ranked #18 in the country.
He also brought women's lacrosse into their program this year.

Advertisement
A ton of the student body comes from the Atlantic and Northeast states where lacrosse is huge. Recruiting would be primarily from prep schools. Almost all those kids come with good grades and money. We could build a monster. STA has great lacrosse by the way.

You can play at Cobb no problem. Infrastructure would be no problem.
Radikovich just brought it to Clemson this year

Many people know I've posted about this for years, but it looks like Radakovich is going to try to add a Softball program to UM Sports.

I could not be more happy to see UM finally adding sports programs again. Yes, I'm still ****ed at Dave Maggard for dumping Men's Golf and Swimming.

How do you drop swimming?? We had the greatest diver of all-time!! Greg Louganis

Give me ice hockey! We would build a powerhouse. Kids from Canada and Minnesota would flock to play in Miami.

Advertisement
Lame? Perhaps.

Factually accurate? Absolutely.

I would argue there are more of the kitty on kitty variety in basketball than softball by a mile & 1/2. Lotttttttta **** softball players that get wifed up. If u have a problem w/ this type of talent coming through for the teeeeem, then God bless u.

I would argue there are more of the kitty on kitty variety in basketball than softball by a mile & 1/2. Lotttttttta **** softball players that get wifed up. If u have a problem w/ this type of talent coming through for the teeeeem, then God bless u.

Agreed!!

Softball has some nice mami's that love hombres!!

Advertisement

Yeah Im sure you can find ten hot college softball chicks. For crying out loud. The sport is still doo doo and boring as **** to watch. They play on a 45/60 diamond, which is the same size field that 9 & 10 year old boys play on. By age 11 boys travel baseball plays on a 50/70 diamond with 300' fences. Why cant grown women play on the same size field as 11 year old pre-pubescent boys?

Seriously. Chick softball could be a good sport but it needs to evolve. It wont though because the people who run chick sports are anti-evolution in general. lol And dont get me started on the chick dugout chants. Dear god, its a painful sport to watch. Coming soon to a campus near you.

Women's softball???

Oh goodie. UM could use an additional 25 ******* eeerrrrr "same ***" chicks on campus, I guess. Chick softball is a joke of a sport. They play on the same size field as 9 year old boys. That said, I think it could be a real sport but they need to go to a 50/70 diamond with 300' fences. Playing on a 45/60 diamond with 200-210' fences is childish. The entire sport is pitching, walks, and bunting.

As others have noted, UM not having a men's soccer team is fraudulent. South Florida is a hotbed for soccer talent. The ACC is the premier soccer conference in the NCAA. Yet we're talking about adding chick softball. C'mon, meng!!

Title IX, if you want men’s soccer you’re gonna have to add at least one women’s program. It’s the fūcking law. It has to be balanced in someway. I’m not a compliance expert, maybe somebody else is here but there’s no way you can just add men soccer without adding some component of women’s sports.

I’m not saying I agree with it, personally I think it’s nonsense. But you have to follow those guidelines.

Title IX, if you want men’s soccer you’re gonna have to add at least one women’s program. It’s the fūcking law. It has to be balanced in someway. I’m not a compliance expert, maybe somebody else is here but there’s no way you can just add men soccer without adding some component of women’s sports.

I’m not saying I agree with it, personally I think it’s nonsense. But you have to follow those guidelines.

Yes Im well aware of the evil that is Title IX. I just felt like going on a rant about chick softball. lol

Advertisement
Back