Good Bye Captain!

Advertisement
Solid player but overrated. Had he played for a team that isn't the ESPN and media darling (and one that outspends almost every other club by a vast margin), the talk of his "intangibles and leadership" would be just that - talk.

The Yankees are the Notre Dame of baseball.

so they fudged the numbers and how he played...guy was one of the top 5 all time in Yankee History and top 10 all time in MLB..

Respect

And its a god **** shame that ******* bumbling idiot brian cashman is sinking this team into post 04 miami hurricane territory

Solid player but overrated. Had he played for a team that isn't the ESPN and media darling (and one that outspends almost every other club by a vast margin), the talk of his "intangibles and leadership" would be just that - talk.

I'm not a Yankee fan by any means, but "the Notre Dame of baseball"?!? The Yankess and Jeter have won 5 championships since Notre Dame last won one! He's also a career .300 hitter and almost 3,500 hits! Hardly overrated!

Advertisement
Jeter is a good ball player but not top 10 all time and not even close. Chipper Jones batted 6 points less than Jeter but played in a lineup where he could be pitched around. Jeter was never a big long ball threat and was surrounded by big sticks, so he had opportunities of hits. Jeter is a HOF ball player but not hardly top 10 all time.

Jeter is a good ball player but not top 10 all time and not even close. Chipper Jones batted 6 points less than Jeter but played in a lineup where he could be pitched around. Jeter was never a big long ball threat and was surrounded by big sticks, so he had opportunities of hits. Jeter is a HOF ball player but not hardly top 10 all time.

Thank You Andrew; I brought up Chipper Jones at work today after a co-worker showed me the clip. Thanks to the old TBS days of "America's Team" ESPiN still seemingly holds a grudge due to their lost ad revenue; they minimize the Braves wherever possible. It also helps that Jeter plays in ESPiN's backyard, plays in a still baseball mad city (with the exception of LA, everywhere else is more football-oriented now) and plays a sport which, like the American Civil War, is steeped in American fokelore (Ken Burns documentaries on both, re-enacters have 1860s military uniforms on one weekend, 1860s Base Ball uniforms the next). Totally blown out of proportion when Jeter is measured on actual athletic feats and leadership shown.

I'm not a Yankee fan by any means, but "the Notre Dame of baseball"?!? The Yankess and Jeter have won 5 championships since Notre Dame last won one! He's also a career .300 hitter and almost 3,500 hits! Hardly overrated!

My point was more about the media love fest than actual winning.

Thank You Andrew; I brought up Chipper Jones at work today after a co-worker showed me the clip. Thanks to the old TBS days of "America's Team" ESPiN still seemingly holds a grudge due to their lost ad revenue; they minimize the Braves wherever possible. It also helps that Jeter plays in ESPiN's backyard, plays in a still baseball mad city (with the exception of LA, everywhere else is more football-oriented now) and plays a sport which, like the American Civil War, is steeped in American fokelore (Ken Burns documentaries on both, re-enacters have 1860s military uniforms on one weekend, 1860s Base Ball uniforms the next). Totally blown out of proportion when Jeter is measured on actual athletic feats and leadership shown.

So I guess since Hank played for such crap teams his stats are out of proportion. How many home runs did Hank hit when it did not matter? His team was going to lose anyway!

Advertisement

So I guess since Hank played for such crap teams his stats are out of proportion. How many home runs did Hank hit when it did not matter? His team was going to lose anyway!

My point is Jeter got pitched too a bunch because he wasn't a home run threat and was surrounded by big bats.

Advertisement
Back