Gonna be a long season..again

Donny Donowitz

Bear ***
Canisus is one of the worst basketball D1 programs out there...and the struggle was real.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211110-154748.png
    Screenshot_20211110-154748.png
    303.6 KB · Views: 92
Advertisement
Not to say that Canisius is a good program, because they are not, but calling them one of the worst D1 programs based entirely on their tournament history is flawed, especially when talking about teams in one bid leagues. The MAAC is typically one of the better low major leagues out there, and over the past 9 seasons, they have been above .500 in conference play 6 of the 9 seasons with a regular season conference title in the mix. Iona and Siena (and to a lesser extent Manhattan) have just been soaking up all of the bids coming out of that league. That being said, this does appear to be one of their weaker teams over the past decade, one that will probably be in the bottom half of the MAAC this year.

Canisius may not be on the level of a program such as Iona or South Dakota St. (to use two quality low major programs as an example), but they aren't to the depths of programs like Chicago St. or Arkansas-Pine Bluff either. They have been a better program than The Citadel, and they just blasted Pitt yesterday (I do think The Citadel is better than Canisius is this season). They have been a better program than Presbyterian, who was up by 8 on Clemson at the half yesterday before Clemson came back and won by a similar margin as we did.

FWIW, on his website, Ken Pomeroy has a program ranking that uses data from the past 25 years or so, and he has Canisius 218 out of the 357 established D1 programs. They are below average to be sure, but not a complete train wreck either. That sounds about right to me.

Did I come out of yesterday's game feeling more encouraged about the team? No. But I'm not less encouraged either, particularly when a good chunk of the ACC looked underwhelming yesterday as well.

Man you really have to be miserable to post this on the day miami just signed a legitimate top 20 recruiting class - all 4 stars with a 6’7 guard, two 6’8 forwards, and a 6’11 center.

And Canisius is a middling D1 team. They’re not good, but they’re not a bottom feeder either.
Yep, as a miami basketball fan I am miserable.

Spare me the signing of recruits...cross and timberlake had me excited. Lonnie walker had me excited. Bruce brown had me excited. What good did that do? This team is still being Corched and were turnover machines last night.

Not to say that Canisius is a good program, because they are not, but calling them one of the worst D1 programs based entirely on their tournament history is flawed, especially when talking about teams in one bid leagues. The MAAC is typically one of the better low major leagues out there, and over the past 9 seasons, they have been above .500 in conference play 6 of the 9 seasons with a regular season conference title in the mix. Iona and Siena (and to a lesser extent Manhattan) have just been soaking up all of the bids coming out of that league. That being said, this does appear to be one of their weaker teams over the past decade, one that will probably be in the bottom half of the MAAC this year.

Canisius may not be on the level of a program such as Iona or South Dakota St. (to use two quality low major programs as an example), but they aren't to the depths of programs like Chicago St. or Arkansas-Pine Bluff either. They have been a better program than The Citadel, and they just blasted Pitt yesterday (I do think The Citadel is better than Canisius is this season). They have been a better program than Presbyterian, who was up by 8 on Clemson at the half yesterday before Clemson came back and won by a similar margin as we did.

FWIW, on his website, Ken Pomeroy has a program ranking that uses data from the past 25 years or so, and he has Canisius 218 out of the 357 established D1 programs. They are below average to be sure, but not a complete train wreck either. That sounds about right to me.

Did I come out of yesterday's game feeling more encouraged about the team? No. But I'm not less encouraged either, particularly when a good chunk of the ACC looked underwhelming yesterday as well.
Thanks for the awesome response!

Advertisement

Spare me the signing of recruits...cross and timberlake had me excited. Lonnie walker had me excited. Bruce brown had me excited. What good did that do? This team is still being Corched and were turnover machines last night.
Bruce Brown and Lonnie Walker led us to Tournament teams that were fun to watch and won a lot of games. You didn't enjoy that?

Lonnie Walker and Bruce Brown are rotation NBA players. If that doesn't 'get you excited', I don't know what to tell you.

Advertisement

Then I have a solution for you: stop following the team.

It's pure insanity to be a miserable fan. This is all optional. We do this for entertainment. If you're gonna be miserable, find another hobby.

Of the four players you mention, Cross in a very limited sample size, showed promise. Bruce, unfortunately, was often out of the lineup or playing injured. Lonnie never came close to matching his 5 star hype, and Timberlake, when we saw him, didn't show much at all. Only one I could say I got excited about was Bruce Brown. The other three, def not.

Advertisement
Then I have a solution for you: stop following the team.

It's pure insanity to be a miserable fan. This is all optional. We do this for entertainment. If you're gonna be miserable, find another hobby.
This is stupid...that would be like me wanting to be excited about the football team if the young guys never started playing.

Coach L is a hinderance to the program.

Everybody wants to complain and moan and whine… but this is the truth.

Coach L ain’t perfect… and I’m sure he’d do some things differently with the benefit of hindsight… but we’re just now back to the pre-FBI position in terms of building a program.
It actually wasnt the truth 🤣

Advertisement
This is stupid...that would be like me wanting to be excited about the football team if the young guys never started playing.

Coach L is a hinderance to the program.
No. It would be like you rooting for the football team even while they're struggling, finding the silver linings, enjoying incremental progress when it happens, looking forward to the future, and hoping for the best all along the way, however unlikely.

The alternative is to be miserable. Following sports is already pretty dumb. It's watching other people play games. We have no control over it, and the results don't change our lives in any meaningful way. It's kind of pathetic we all let it consume so much of our attention. But doing that and also being miserable about it? Geez. You do you, of course, but that's pretty sad imo

It wasn't an impressive effort, but it was at least a win in the opener. I'm not going to read too much into a team after 40 minutes of live rounds.

Advertisement
Back