Gonna be a dog fight next week

SmokeyRone

All-ACC
Purgatory
Will take all the heart and determination this program can muster.

Everything matches up for VT next week.

We have NO kicker. No chance of ever making a FG if it matters.

We have NO QB. Thomas can hit wide open recievers if he has no pressure and the D plays 10 yards off them. He can also run, especially against our D style, which gives away the QB jog for 15 yards on third and long.

We have Highsmith, who seems to give up more big plays than anyone I have ever seen play the game, ever.

No Duke, against a team that will TOTALLY play to stop the run.

This will be the most impressive thing I have seen out of Golden if he can get us in position to win next week.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
Advertisement
We play like we did tonight we drown their *** by 2or 3 TDs

I don't think so at all. I say we get beat bad if we play like tonight. We didn't come CLOSE to stopping FSU on one drive until it was a blowout in the 4th.

Their first seven posessions were unopposed, save for two bad throws by Winston. 35 offensive points before we make them punt.

Advertisement
I agree, it's a real test of our character. Here's an angle you didn't mention: Teams that lose for the first time deep into the season tend to have a letdown game a week later, unless the opponent is a pushover. I know lots of guys in Las Vegas who bet that angle.

Virginia Tech gave Morris fits when he was a freshman. Big fourth quarter interceptions when the game was tied entering the 4th. Last season we got away with a victory even though the rushing attempts were severely lopsided in the Hokies' favor. We can't try that again. The rushes need to be there, even without Duke.

I don't think so at all. I say we get beat bad if we play like tonight. We didn't come CLOSE to stopping FSU on one drive until it was a blowout in the 4th.

Their first seven posessions were unopposed, save for two bad throws by Winston. 35 offensive points before we make them punt.

Their hands down best team in the ACC with us honestly second best... VT dook and them will be shoulder checked back into their rightful position looking up to daddy(us)

Advertisement
It will be a tough game because our D gives up too many 3rd down conversions, Duke is out, and our o-line will probably get pushed around yet again.

This. Any one who disagrees needs to leave until the end of the season.

FSU ain't scrubs. They are an extremely good football team. We stood toe to toe with these cats for half that game. Take away that whistle on Duke's play, where are we then?

Dallas Crawford got us covered. We'll be fine. See y'all in Charlotte.

Advertisement
VT will not be a cakewalk, but if we play the way did in the first half against FSU, we win. VT's offenses is nowhere near FSU's offense. Our defense actually stops VT if they play the same way in the first half. We had FSU on 3rd down a lot in the first half last night. FSU converted. You can blame the scheme, I blame Winston juking Quan out of his jock twice. I blame FSU having the best offense in the nation (or second behind Oregon) and executing to perfection as much as a bad scheme. VT won't execute like that. One thing that worries me is 3rd down. We can't drop 7-8 into coverage and turn our backs on Thomas and let him run for 15 yards though. Put a spy on him if you must.

Without Duke we still have to be patient and run the ball with Crawford and Clements. Morris is going to have to be patient as well and throw short passes if VT takes away the deep ball. It would be nice if Coley grew up and ran better routes and fought for the ball. It would be nice if Scott played and didn't just dress. It would be nice if we basically had more than 3 WR.

We can win this game. It won't be easy, but VT is not a good team. We should be able to beat this team at home, but we do have everything going against us. This will be one of Golden's toughest coaching challenges of the season, and of his tenure here. The crowd won't be great because VT is unranked and 6-3 and on a two game losing streak, and our fair weather fans will likely stay away because they didn't show up when we were a top 10 team, and it's not going to be a night game. My guess is it's going to be a 330 ABC/ESPN mirror game, though it could easily be a Noon ABC, ESPN or ESPN 2 game. The team will either fold or rally after the loss on the field and the loss of Duke. Any mature team would rally knowing a win basically wins the Coastal (though the game the next week at Duke would then be for the division title...I can't believe the Duke game would be the division title game). If the team isn't up to play VT with this on the line, I don't know what to say.

Last edited:
Even without Duke, VT is a very winnable game..

Same story as every game..we HAVE to limit turnovers ala the first half of the FSU game. No turnovers very close half

Second Half....well different story

The only thing that worries me is that Thomas looks like a Heisman candidate if he has time to throw and guys are running wide open all over the field, which they were for a lot of the BC game. When BC got pressure, he looked like the bad QB that he is.

Advertisement
VT will probably play lights out versus us next week and then play like dog**** their next game. This scenario happens quite often.

Yeah, that worries me. Only hope is that we play with a purpose and play for Duke and for our season.

The only thing that worries me is that Thomas looks like a Heisman candidate if he has time to throw and guys are running wide open all over the field, which they were for a lot of the BC game. When BC got pressure, he looked like the bad QB that he is.
This. We need to bring the pressure all game long. If we give Thomas time to throw it is going to be a slow painful death because our offense is going to have a hard time moving the ball on Tech's defense.

Advertisement
Back