Golden v Saban

umhurricano

Sophomore
I came across this in the WSJ today: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577617521477347562.html?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

It brought up some interesting points that have been discussed on the board before like recruiting positions by physical type.

The thing I like most about Golden is his organizational process that seems to apply to every facet of the program, whether directly related to football or not.

Saban appears to be the master of process at this time (just re-watched the national title game, 0 penalties is just amazing). It makes me wonder, once we get through all of this bs (sanctions, no depth, etc...) whether Golden's process is good enough to get us to a 'bama (or old 'canes) level of dominance, whether Saban is a cut above, or whether big state schools now have such a competitive advantage that process is negated.

Advertisement
As teams start implementing some of the things Saban/Alabama does they will catch up. If teams could catch up to the most dominant program in NCAA history (I'm talking about the canes) then they will catch up to bama. Of course our last two terrible coaches helped other teams pass us but that's changing.

They will be writing an article like that about golden in a few years and how Miami is so dominant.

South Florida talent > talent anywhere else
We keep it at home (along with some development) and we are THE premier team in country. Period.

side note: Saban REALLY wanted Deon Bush

I think Golden can get our team to be as disciplined as the Bama teams and as dominant as well. The thing is Saban isn't only a great coach. He's also a great recruiter and has an amazing eye for talent. 5 defensive players drafted in the first round last year? That's crazy. Golden seems to be cut from the same cloth, but only time will tell.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Saban really wanted Vernon as well.

but we have lost more than we won (Patrick Peterson anyone?)

If Butch had not decided to climb the ladder to the NFL and made Miami his home, he's wearing 3 more rings now and we have about 100 players in the NFL. During Butch's two calls of duty at the U, he left the program 2 and sometimes 3 deep at every position on defense and stacked athletically on offense. Butch has a crazy, crazy eye for talent. Sometimes its just a little bit of luck and right place/right time, but I'll be damned if he didnt leave UNC stacked to the gills to. If he has a full team a couple of years ago against LSU, he would have straight up embarrassed Miles.

If Golden can get 2/3 the talent Butch rounded up, I think Golden will be very successful, as I think he runs a much more organized ship from top to bottom.

Advertisement
You know what i like about saban.... you can't count on his squad playing awesome D..

Reality is that Alabama doesn't come down here a ton and when they do we deal with it pretty well.

How many true South Florida kids are on the Alabama roster? Or the LSU roster? Not a ton. When they start getting 4-5 kids from Dade and Broward every year, then we are in trouble.

Advertisement
Also, there is no doubt that Saban is a great coach. I hate that they take a little dig at us, essentially saying we cheated and Saban doesn't, when everyone knows there is just as much (if not more) operating in the gray area in Tuscaloosa as anywhere else. The NCAA has selectively chosen not to stick their nose in right now, but I guess it is a fact at the end of the day that we have been accused and they haven't.

This brings up an interesting question: if you were going to model your program after another in major CFB right now, who would it be?

I think the clear choice is 'Bama, but I'm not so sure my second choice wouldn't be TCU and Patterson.

Saban is systematic. He has certain things that are set up in his program to be somewhat self-feeding. He has standards that must be met by coaches and players, and he demands excellence.

A former Alabama running back who made the cover of Sports Illustrated's father is a friend, and told me that Saban was one big *******. Arrogant *******, I believe were the exact words. Almost rude, compared to normal 'southern' standards.

Golden has a system, and he's setting up subsystems to assist in making his program somewhat self-feeding. He's setting up new standards, and he too is demanding excellence. Saban is just a bit further along in his program than is Golden.

We're getting there. Good part - when Golden gets his system in place, trouble is behind us, and he's gotten a few classes under his system, I feel confident that Golden will match Saban in any aspect of football, but Golden won't be the natural ******* Saban is, thus giving him another leg up OVER Saban.

Way I see it, If Golden is being mentioned in the same breath as Saban then he must be doing the right things. If they say he can be a Saban type then I like our chances.

Advertisement
If Butch Davis never left it would have been another decade of dominance. Can you imagine the players he would have kept bringing in until today. Who leaves Miami for the Clevland Browns?

Golden has a great eye for talent. Not on Butch's level cause no one is not even Saban. But Golden has a great eye for talent, is a great recruiter, great organizer, great leader and hopefully a great coach.

I actually heard from a former Temple player( who loved him) that Golden can be an *******. That's he a grinder & it's his way or out the door. Parcells was the same way. From the outside looking in ppl may be turned off by that but those coaches seem to have a strong bond & loyalty from former players. If u remember Jimmy could be a real ***** too.

I actually heard from a former Temple player( who loved him) that Golden can be an *******. That's he a grinder & it's his way or out the door. Parcells was the same way. From the outside looking in ppl may be turned off by that but those coaches seem to have a strong bond & loyalty from former players. If u remember Jimmy could be a real **** too.

Anyone can be considered an ******* at a given time. And I like it that anyone who doesn't want to do it Golden's way is out the door.

What was conveyed to me was that Saban was an arrogant ******* upon wakening, at lunch, dealing with non-players/parents, and overall made a profession of it. Being a full-time ******* is not a virtue, but he seemed to think Saban was working on perfecting a perpetual state of assholishness full time.

Golden can be the biggest ******* in the world. If we win it'll be all good. If we don't win then its a problem. Just win baby!

Advertisement
Back