Golden staying at UM

GhostofVenice01

MOPE SQUAD INTERNATIONAL
At 12:30 Tuesday afternoon during the Atlantic Coast Conference teleconference, Miami coach and former Penn State tight end and assistant Al Golden made his firmest statement yet that he does not intend to pursue the Penn State head coaching position.
My question to him: "Do you have absolutely no interest in the Penn State job?"
Golden's answer: "That question has been posed over and over again the last couple of weeks and I stated that I'm happy here, I'm excited about what we're doing with our program, I'm excited about the recruiting class that we're putting together and clearly excited about what our team has done."
Which sounded like sort of a non-answer to me. So, my response: "Does that mean you absolutely will be the coach at Miami in 2012?"
His reply: "I'm going to be the head coach at Miami in 2012, that's correct."

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/11/al_golden_says_he_will_coach_a.html

Advertisement
Advertisement
Who in their right mind would accept the Penn State job right now?

I'm happy that he finally came out and said it, but the reality is this doesn't guarantee anything, although it does make me feel better. Personally, before this I didnt think he was leaving, but acknowledged that perhaps he would. This helps a little, but I am really still in the same boat; I dont think he will, but realize there is a chance.

Don't forget Butch said he wasnt going anywhere and was gone a week later. Saban said he wasnt going anywhere and then he bailed. There are plenty of other examples. Money talks and in this case it wouldnt even just have to be money as from comments Al made earlier, at seems he as least has some distrust for the administration as he was blindsided with the news when it broke.

He could have an out in regards to this quote because if he leaves sometime in January he technically was the coach in 2012 at some point. I think he is 100% staying but just a thought....

Advertisement
He could have an out in regards to this quote because if he leaves sometime in January he technically was the coach in 2012 at some point. I think he is 100% staying but just a thought....

I think he would get less crap for just coming out and saying he changed his mind than trying to use that loophole. Either way people will be ****ed, but that would just be being a brat.

RT @ByTimReynolds: Here's the exact Al Golden quote from ACC teleconference today."I believe I'm going to be the head coach at Miami in 2012

Advertisement
Dunno if it's for leverage, but the guy has seriously left himself a ton of outs. For all his "clearly" and "obviously" language on other topics, he's less than emphatic about the clarity of his future.

Dunno if it's for leverage, but the guy has seriously left himself a ton of outs. For all his "clearly" and "obviously" language on other topics, he's less than emphatic about the clarity of his future.

Can you blame him?

Advertisement
It's becoming clear that his words are chosen very carefully to leave himself an out, or to gain leverage in negotiating a new deal with UM. No other way to reasonably look at it.

It's becoming clear that his words are chosen very carefully to leave himself an out, or to gain leverage in negotiating a new deal with UM. No other way to reasonably look at it.
This. Been saying the same thing.

That's exactly what he should do in his position. Fewer outs is rarely a good thing in business.

Advertisement
Back