Golden Recruiting Philosophy - What would not have been

Jassid82

Senior
Premium
I don't start threads very often..But looking at the current state of our program, I felt compelled to pose a question to the board in regards to this new Al Golden philosophy in regards to the "type of recruit" we go after now. It got me wondering..If Al Golden were the coach of the Canes instead of Butch during that era..What former UM greats would have never been recruited here?

What angers me the most about what Al is doing now, is that he taking away the one true philosophy that we built our program on. SPEED. Speed all over the field. Watching TCU absolutely destroy Ole Miss with that speed on defense made me long for those days again..Example..How in Gods name we are not recruiting speedy, sideline to sideline LBers like Adrianne Talon and Roderick Archer I will never know. These are the type of players that this program was built on! I will never forget will Al said a few years ago.."Its no longer okay to be a 190lb at UM anymore as an incoming freshman." Smh. So the new philosophy is to recruit big, strong, slow guys?

So back to the original purpose of the thread...Not trying to bash..just making an observation...Here are my 3 guys..I also ask that you name a player that fits the mold of the former Cane player that we are not recruiting now or didn't recruit recently that we all know is a stud but unfortunately, will be a stud for some other team..Hope you add in comments or add in guys of your own..

1. Phillip Buchanon - Philly B was the first player that came to my mind who would have never seen Greentree had Al been here. A 5'9 165 DB? LOL. No way Jose. Forget the fact that he was a uber athlete that played 4 different sports. Forget the fact that he was tough as nails..Forget the fact that he played bigger then his size. Al feels like DBs this height are extincted and refuses to recruit them.

Modern day example: Ronnie Huggins. Coach Macho would agree that Juwon Dowels is in this category too. Maybe not the athlete that Philly was but **** good cover corner who Golden passed on because of size issues.

2. Jonathan Vilma - "You kidding me, Joe" A 5'10 200 LB? With average speed? No. We only need guys who are 6'2 230. Sorry, Jon. LOL. It almost gives me chills to think Vilma would have never worn the O&G. But he has intangibles that you cant teach. Fearless, sure tackler, Smart, etc. It shouldn't be all about size..

Modern day example: Skai Moore

3. Roscoe Parrish - Now in all fairness, Butch didn't want Roscoe either. But Coker knew what was up. But we all can agree that Roscoe would have been a Plan C option and would have been a "Ole Miss Rebel" legend had Al been around. 5'7 160lb soak and wet. Sorry Roscoe, todays game is too violent and too physical for kids like you. Forget the fact that you are as tough of a SOB as there is, have superhuman quickness, and is a prototypical "Miami kid". Has that chip on his shoulder. Would have never seen the light of day here.

Modern day example: Isiah McKenzie

Advertisement
The longer Folden stays here, the further we'll get away from the hallmarks of the UM football program: speed and aggression.

Watching that TCU defense against Ole Miss made me realize how crazy this scheme is we run. Smh. Those LBers look lik ole skool UM guys. Just running sideline to sideline and crushing everything moving. Smh. **** shame what Golden has done to this defense.

word was that moron matthew thomas was a silent that is why skai wasnt offered.

Advertisement
Good post OP.

SFLA has athletes in numbers, we are ignoring our backyard and need positions: LB, CB

Skai Moore and Isiah McKenzie thread ---- I have been waiting to hear about these two.

Last edited:
Advertisement
McKenzie looked really good whenever I checked out a UGA game. Looked like a clone of Roscoe. With as bad as our ST has been this year, Golden didn't think we could have used him for that purpose alone?

No need to go over Skai anymore. Beating a dead horse. But to pair him with Grace would have been lovely. Guess Golden didn't agree.

This year we are going to REALLY regret some of these "non takes". Mainly Talon/Archer/Fenton and potentially Huggins. Just don't understand. Esp since Marcus Lewis seems to be looking at Michigan now.

word was that moron matthew thomas was a silent that is why skai wasnt offered.

Would have been crazy to just make room for both I guess.

for real. that class that year was small and underwhelming

they were self imposing and they grace and thomas were their top two. Meanwhile skai is the best of the 3 lol

you know in hindsight, i'm really beginning to wonder if those were all self-imposed scholarship reductions or was that an excuse created to defend golden missing on recruits.

Advertisement
Advertisement
LOL Ray Lewis had two offers one by us on signing day, almost every coach in america missed on him

Not a Golden defender but there are a equal amount of guys that people thought would have done well that he didnt offer and they were busts. Two of those guys were once in a generation talent i bet the guys you compared wont be 1/4 as good

Advertisement
Back