Golden interview on recruiting...

Advertisement
Careful man. I'm pretty sure I know where you got that from and dude is usually dropping some premium info(just read his sig). Don't blow up the spot either.

Careful man. I'm pretty sure I know where you got that from and dude is usually dropping some premium info(just read his sig). Don't blow up the spot either.

The article itself isn't premium as far as I know, so I figured it was safe to post.

Advertisement
Good read...

Golden was right about its hard to evaluate corners, and I'm really starting to have my doubts about Tracy Howard. I hope he pans out.

Good read...

Golden was right about its hard to evaluate corners, and I'm really starting to have my doubts about Tracy Howard. I hope he pans out.

Did you read the first paragraph?

“Recruiting coach, position coach, coordinator and then what I always say, if my wife can pick them out then I don’t need to get involved because my wife can tell you that Tracy Howard is really good,” Golden said. “Those guys are the easiest. So however many there are right now in the country, 100, that have multiple offers. Those are easy, but then you get that next group and there’s a debate."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Its a very good piece. Coach Golden provides some very good insights. Working from memory, here's what I remember from reading the article earlier today:

* As noted in the copied paragraph in sub 150's post above, coach Golden notes that its easy to spot the 4 & 5 star guys. For one, those are the guys with offers from multiple BCS skools. Its the high 2 - mid 3 star types that are the toughest to evaluate. Coach Golden's approach is to attempt to gain more info on these recruits. Some examples listed are: getting a hold of more film, getting the kid into a camp, seeing the kid play another sport, evaluating grades, leadership abilities, etc...

* Coach Golden expects everyone from the 2012 class to qualify.

* 2013 class: UM has ~75 kids with offers at the moment that they are targeting. 4 commits.

* Coach Golden does not subscribe to the theory of offering 200 kids and take the first 20 that commit. He talked about never wanting to offer a kid and then pull the offer. Calls it bad business.

* Does not know how big the 2013 class will be but expects it to be <20. Some will depend on the number of 2012 early departures.

* Talked about the importance of hosting kids on unofficial visits (letting them attend a practice, doing a pre-spring game open house, etc...

* Coach Golden said that everyone tells him to put a fence around south Florida. He noted that he will not do that because every south Florida kid who is D1 worthy is not Miami Hurricane worthy, so its important to let local kids leave if UM doesnt offer. He says the key is to get to know the local talent better than other D1 coaches, that way they can get the pick of the litter.

Coach told a wonderful story that illustrates his recruiting approach. Its how, as he says, "you put all of the pieces together." His example was Jake O'Donnell. The kid was a 2 star, ranked as the 57th best player in PA. The kid came to camp and even though he was very skinny, the coaches made note of his 6'-6" frame. Then the kid ran a 4.7. The coaches didnt believe it at first and even asked him to run again...and he ran another 4.7. Coach Golden then sees the kid busting *** in the drills in 95 degree south Florida summer heat. They also see he has a frame that can easily support 275 pounds as his body matures. Extrapolate that out and now you're looking at a kid who will be 6'6" 275 lb with a 4.7 forty and crazy work ethic. THAT is a five star recruit. But no one but coach Golden knows it at the moment. Shhhh. :)

* Made a very interesting observation that some major college coaches will only offer high star rated kids, primarily for political reasons. He didnt specify but alluded to the political pressures of certain Universities' boosters and fan bases.

* Coach Golden talked about how QB is a very tough position to evaluate. There's many ways to be successful as a QB and so many QBs blossom late that its really tough to evaluate. He listed Tom Brady's struggles at Michigan, Curt Warner's late rise and Matt Hasselbeck's NFL time as examples.

Finally, coach Golden made it clear that he thinks cornerback is the single toughest position to recruit. He says most of the time the CB isnt on the film that he's watching. Most high school corners only play one style. Typically good HS corners all play tight press coverage but you dont know how they will evolve when asked to play off the ball, play in zone, adjust late, etc... He also noted that certain areas of the country throw the ball significantly less making it even tougher to evaluate a corner.

All in all, I was really impressed by coach Golden's comments in this interview. I noted that when describing the recruiting and program managements aspects, he used terms from the business and finance world. I dunno, I just find that type of intellectual cross-pollination to be a good sign of a guy who draws on non-traditional disciplines to better himself and his craft. And with his new contract, I sure hope he is bettering his business and financial skills. lol

Last edited:
"* Made a very interesting observation that some major college coaches will only offer high star rated kids, primarily for political reasons. He didnt specify but alluded to the political pressures of certain Universities' boosters and fan bases."

Maybe a positive to our fan base's perceived lack of interest?

Advertisement
"* Made a very interesting observation that some major college coaches will only offer high star rated kids, primarily for political reasons. He didnt specify but alluded to the political pressures of certain Universities' boosters and fan bases."

Maybe a positive to our fan base's perceived lack of interest?

Too funny. I thought the same thing as I was reading the article. My thought was, "hey look, maybe we're not the worst fanbase in CFB afterall." :)

Advertisement
Back