Golden factoring in scholarship cuts

Gamineal

All-ACC
I think the letter from the NCAA is in Miami...

Coach Al Golden said after Monday's practice that he's already factored potential scholarship reductions into the number of recruits he's targeting in this year's class.

UM announced earlier in the day that the program is self-imposing a second bowl ban, but there are no official scholarship reductions yet.

Asked if he's imposed scholarship cuts, Golden said, "Yeah. I'm not allowed to comment on anything relative to the investigation, but I'm already factoring it in to my count. they're going to tell us ultimately, but I've already started down that road of not taking a full group.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Anyone know how many scholarship players we've had all year? Golden said we'd be at 80 this season anyway, just don't know if we got down to it. That should count as a reduction if we got down below.

Advertisement
Advertisement
[]_[]Fan2010;1059132 said:
Anyone know how many scholarship players we've had all year? Golden said we'd be at 80 this season anyway, just don't know if we got down to it. That should count as a reduction if we got down below.

We are at 82 according to the eligibility chart on this site (say 81 but Cain is back).

[]_[]Fan2010;1059132 said:

We are at 82 according to the eligibility chart on this site (say 81 but Cain is back).

Where is that? Does it include walk-ons? Wonder if we can self-impose 3 at least

My bad. We are at 80 scholarship players currently. Alexis, Davis, JJohnson have all left the team this year. No one seems to know what is going on with David Thompson as well.

There are a number of attrition candidates for next year, namely at the TE position. Henderson may also look to go pro.

Advertisement
Yep, 80 kids is what i have. 11 seniors. Which means we technically have room for 16 kids with no attrition. Assuming we lose 5 more (Henderson to early NFL, a couple TE JAGs, Thompson, etc) to attrition, we have a max class of 21 ish to get to 85.

Which is what we should be doing. MAX THIS CLASS OUT, Al. That way, we will have enough bodies on here before schollie sanctions hit in presumably the 2014-2015 classes to withstand the blow.

Yep, 80 kids is what i have. 11 seniors. Which means we technically have room for 16 kids with no attrition. Assuming we lose 5 more (Henderson to early NFL, a couple TE JAGs, Thompson, etc) to attrition, we have a max class of 21 ish to get to 85.

Which is what we should be doing. MAX THIS CLASS OUT, Al. That way, we will have enough bodies on here before schollie sanctions hit in presumably the 2014-2015 classes to withstand the blow.

the theory might be that they want to have as many scholarships as possible in 2014, which is widely reported to be a bumper crop in S. Fla.

the theory might be that they want to have as many scholarships as possible in 2014, which is widely reported to be a bumper crop in S. Fla.

Not might, is. My guess is Al is thinking (hoping) 5 year for 3. He'll "self-impose" 5 this year, theoretically moving up the timeline one year and getting us even closer to the end. With attrition next year, that will leave us more scholarships for the '14 crop and still allow us to comply with the reduction. If he can pull in the top line talent next year, along with a few bigguns, then he's managed this masterfully.

Advertisement
If you piece things together, it does seem there might be some dialog between the NCAA and ourselves which is going on deep behind the scenes. Golden is involved, I dont care what he says publicly, he is involved and I am willing to bet we have a very good idea of what we will face going forward. Read between the lines and look at body language, Golden is speaking in the past tense about the bowl and scholarship issue, then says he cant comment. If we beat Duke, we took ourselves out of the ACC championship and a chance at the BCS bowl game, this was a calculated move and I am willing to bet some negotiated piece deep behind the wall. Just my speculation, of course, but there does seem to be a rhyme and reason at the timing of our announcement.

Pretty sure the canes admins and golden have a very good idea of what's going on. I wouldn't be surprised if we negotiated a punishment to get things moving since its taken so long. The worst is behind us. Golden was the perfect guy to have here during this time

Advertisement
Back