Golden and his struggles

troycbullock

Redshirt Freshman
With all the negativity over the past week I have been trying to piece together why this man his struggled so much here. I am really trying to be objective so I am not going focus on his lack coaching intelligence or that of his staff. I am not going focus on the "cloud" because in spite of it he has gotten good players here. I am going to focus on attrition and personnel because I believe that is one of the biggest problems and much of it is his fault. Remember, this is a coach who beat OSU (albeit without Meyer) his first year. He inherited a mess at QB (Harris and later Morris), not his fault. Knowing how bad they were what did he recruit, NOTHING. That is his fault. He lost high impact guys after the 2011 season year, Lamar Miller, Olivier Vernon and Tommy Streeter which really hurt in 2012 season. Not sure if that was his fault or not but those guys could have accounted for at least a couple of wins in 2012 which would have helped the brand. Losing developing guys like Gianni Paul, Eddie Johnson and later Alex Figueroa, who would have been impact guys hurt bad. Those loses are not his fault especially Figueroa. Missing out on studs who couldn't come due to academic like Griffin, Bond and countless others during his time, would have at the very least provided depth at key positions. I point these things to highlight that this hasn't been the easiest coaching jobs. He really did have to handle a lot of adversity and lets be honest, If he was a bit more endearing and likeable like Jim Larranaga he might have even received more of a pass. The thing is, he doesn't seem to control the controllables which allows these other things to have more of an impact than it should. My earlier example of not seriously recruiting a QB when you have Harris, Morris, Whipple on your roster killed us and that is his fault. As a supposed CEO he has to better assess the environment he operates under and make necessary adjustments. He simply hasn't been willing to make them and ultimately that is where his biggest liability as a coach lies.

Advertisement
Its his mentality. He is always playing down expectations, like he has the world on his shoulders, we're not there yet, oh the cloud was so heavy, yada yada.....you know who picks up that mentality? The players, no urgency or desperation in their play. Golden told them they're not there, we're not good enough. He is a loser with a loser mentality. Everything else is a symptom of that

D1 Football, along with Maritime Law is one of the few remaining areas where the head man IS ultimately responsible. What is/isn't his fault is the game politicians play with you because they want to take all of the credit and none of the blame. Take a look at this:

[video]http://articles.latimes.com/1990-02-15/news/mn-1195_1_oil-spill[/video]

Key Point: Third Mate Cousins or the Helmsman Kagen were the ones who ran the Exxon Valdez aground, not Captain Hazelwood. However, in the Merchant Marine, the ship's Master (Hazelwood) is ultimately responsible and paid the price.

Golden is in charge and he should pay the price if Miami isn't winning...They are not and he needs to go no matter the 50,00000 million excuses he gives.

Advertisement
Oh and comparing fat Al to larranaga is an insult. Larranaga is not endearing, he's competent. Everything seems better when your that. Saban is smug, but competent, if he starts losing that prickly attitude will become a annoyance. Fat Al has a smug defiant attitude with no accomplishments. Losses and rhetoric

this is a coach who beat OSU (albeit without Meyer) his first year.

I'm so glad you chose to mention Meyer. His success alone is reason enough to **** can Golden immediately. He literally took over a program in the same exact state, arguably worse, and guess where he is now? You know why? Because the ************ can coach! That's why! If he was leading our squad right now we'd be in ******* Texas all talking **** because our players are just as good as his. You don't believe it just wait and see how these rosters shake out in the league.

I'm pretty sure you were my anatomy teacher 12 years ago at palmetto, anyone else?

I took AP bio with Bullock. If that's him he needs to stick to ****** photosynthesis and the god**** Krebs cycle cause he don't know his *** from his elbows when it comes to this game.

Advertisement
With all the negativity over the past week I have been trying to piece together why this man his struggled so much here. I am really trying to be objective so I am not going focus on his lack coaching intelligence or that of his staff. I am not going focus on the "cloud" because in spite of it he has gotten good players here. I am going to focus on attrition and personnel because I believe that is one of the biggest problems and much of it is his fault. Remember, this is a coach who beat OSU (albeit without Meyer) his first year. He inherited a mess at QB (Harris and later Morris), not his fault. Knowing how bad they were what did he recruit, NOTHING. That is his fault. He lost high impact guys after the 2011 season year, Lamar Miller, Olivier Vernon and Tommy Streeter which really hurt in 2012 season. Not sure if that was his fault or not but those guys could have accounted for at least a couple of wins in 2012 which would have helped the brand. Losing developing guys like Gianni Paul, Eddie Johnson and later Alex Figueroa, who would have been impact guys hurt bad. Those loses are not his fault especially Figueroa. Missing out on studs who couldn't come due to academic like Griffin, Bond and countless others during his time, would have at the very least provided depth at key positions. I point these things to highlight that this hasn't been the easiest coaching jobs. He really did have to handle a lot of adversity and lets be honest, If he was a bit more endearing and likeable like Jim Larranaga he might have even received more of a pass. The thing is, he doesn't seem to control the controllables which allows these other things to have more of an impact than it should. My earlier example of not seriously recruiting a QB when you have Harris, Morris, Whipple on your roster killed us and that is his fault. As a supposed CEO he has to better assess the environment he operates under and make necessary adjustments. He simply hasn't been willing to make them and ultimately that is where his biggest liability as a coach lies.

he recruited Kevin Olsen who was an UA all american.

His problem is he got to passive. he coached every minute like he did that first half against FSU, we would be a tough team for ANYONE to beat.

He's a micromanager with a limited toolkit who doesn't trust his players. Emphasis is on the process and the scheme, not on maximizing talent and adapting to talent to optimize results. And so he asks very little of his players--they are static cogs to him, not dynamic athletes. He does not challenge them, prod them on to greatness. They do not reach full potential and they resent it. Presumably, he has the same problem with this staff, and so, together with salary limitations, he doesn't attract coaching talent.

He is o.k. at sales, but he is not a dynamic problem solver. His sales expertise becomes a perishable skill over time as the problems mount.

Problem or crisis arises and he reverts to this kind of static UFUCA garbage:

1. UNSELFISH – Contribution to others and encouragement; Form of appreciation and Gratitude. No energy Vampires!
2. FOCUSED – Eliminate thinking about the next level. Ignore the Noise (NFL/AGENT/MEDIA). Let go of the outcome. Put Team First!
3. UNIFIED – More team unity; no separation among us (mix more offense and defense). Be a Great Teammate!
4. COMMUNICATE – See it as more of a partnership. Matter of Trust! Let go of agenda. Be solution oriented. Tough Teams Talk!
5. ACCOUNTABLE – Overcome fear of conflict. Be authentic with others. You job is to never get discouraged with the responsibility to hold each other accountable. We need great leaders!

Doesn't stop to understand the problem, identify the issues, apply problem solving techniques using proven methods carried out by accomplished subordinates. Puts a premium on Garbage-in Garbage Out psychobabble and so he spits out UFUCA and Pillars when what is called for is real analysis and problem-solving.

But what do I know. I'm just a fan and an alum, who probably caused this sh*tshow in the first place.

UM Basketball got blown out by 30 something points and I don't hear the negativity. They lose a few games in a row and no negativity. And I believe people have higher expectations from the BBall team at this point. The difference is Larranaga besides winning an ACC title is more endearing to the fans and genuine so he gets a pass. Golden is an egomaniac, who deflects blame and calls fans legitimate cries of concern "noise". He is not getting a pass.

Refuses to adapt to his personnel and constant excuse making are his biggest downfalls. He has made losing acceptable

Advertisement
UM Basketball got blown out by 30 something points and I don't hear the negativity. They lose a few games in a row and no negativity. And I believe people have higher expectations from the BBall team at this point. The difference is Larranaga besides winning an ACC title is more endearing to the fans and genuine so he gets a pass. Golden is an egomaniac, who deflects blame and calls fans legitimate cries of concern "noise". He is not getting a pass.

Listened to Larranaga on 560 this afternnoon. When asked about the Virginia loss said he was ****ed "that there are no moral victories" "all that matters are wins and losses" "the team should be angry about losing that game" etc.

He did back Golden but, that's just him bein classy. I'm sure he knows Golden blows and is a lame duck loser.

Only a few girls care about basketball at THE U. That is why there is no negativity. If it wins we will get excited, when it goes back to losing we just go back to not caring. Football actually matter to us. I watch Rick Barry plan and still really care when program was cancelled. At the moment, since Donna loves it, I favor killing it again.

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;2146434 said:
I'm pretty sure you were my anatomy teacher 12 years ago at palmetto, anyone else?

I took AP bio with Bullock. If that's him he needs to stick to ****** photosynthesis and the god**** Krebs cycle cause he don't know his *** from his elbows when it comes to this game.

O I didn't actually bother to read all that nonsense.

Advertisement
He's a micromanager with a limited toolkit who doesn't trust his players. Emphasis is on the process and the scheme, not on maximizing talent and adapting to talent to optimize results. And so he asks very little of his players--they are static cogs to him, not dynamic athletes. He does not challenge them, prod them on to greatness. They do not reach full potential and they resent it. Presumably, he has the same problem with this staff, and so, together with salary limitations, he doesn't attract coaching talent.

He is o.k. at sales, but he is not a dynamic problem solver. His sales expertise becomes a perishable skill over time as the problems mount.

Problem or crisis arises and he reverts to this kind of static UFUCA garbage:

1. UNSELFISH – Contribution to others and encouragement; Form of appreciation and Gratitude. No energy Vampires!
2. FOCUSED – Eliminate thinking about the next level. Ignore the Noise (NFL/AGENT/MEDIA). Let go of the outcome. Put Team First!
3. UNIFIED – More team unity; no separation among us (mix more offense and defense). Be a Great Teammate!
4. COMMUNICATE – See it as more of a partnership. Matter of Trust! Let go of agenda. Be solution oriented. Tough Teams Talk!
5. ACCOUNTABLE – Overcome fear of conflict. Be authentic with others. You job is to never get discouraged with the responsibility to hold each other accountable. We need great leaders!

Doesn't stop to understand the problem, identify the issues, apply problem solving techniques using proven methods carried out by accomplished subordinates. Puts a premium on Garbage-in Garbage Out psychobabble and so he spits out UFUCA and Pillars when what is called for is real analysis and problem-solving.

But what do I know. I'm just a fan and an alum, who probably caused this sh*tshow in the first place.

Excellent post. My feelings about his "approach" exactly.

Struggles are over...he's an intern for the Cowboys this week!

I mean, a linebacker lead them in interceptions....their leading sacker had 6...but whatevs!

Thinks he "knows it all" narrow minded and "trust" issues will prevent the personal growth needed for him to succeed.

Has some charisma and uses it to sell recruits and their families, as well as upper mgmt and the media.

No creativity at all. Evident in regurgitating material years later.

Personable enough to be a head coach, but his performance is his ceiling, DC for Al Groh or someone else...

He has lost a ton of players in the program via transfers or being kicked off. The administration is known to be very strict and for sure does not help ala figs, AQM. But that's still not an excuse to go 6-7 with our talent on this team...

Advertisement
Back