Going Forward (decently lengthy)

CBurrr93

Sophomore
Don't really start threads so I apologize if this seems unnecessary.

Postives: The defense man. And Going into the season everyone believed the defense was what was going to cost us the majority of the games. Unbelievable how that works out isnt it? The D line came to play and I hope everyone can see how that Unit did more than handle their own. RJ and Norton look like future NFLers with their play. Mobility, toughness, instincts, they seem to have all 3. Willis, another guy that stood out. We knew these guys were talented but they are even better than I had imagined? Also, patchen looks extremely small but that was a **** of a move he pulled to nail their QB. Honestly, just look no further than Coach Kool. Absolute God send. How we ended up with him is unbelievable. You can't tell me there's a better position coach out there.

Linebackers, shaq played a really nice game overall. Didn't see pinckney as much but I think he was in with Willis on one play? Most importantly, these young guns are getting tons of burn. If we can keep Coach Kool and Diaz continues to exceed expectations, the sky is the limit for the defense in general.

Berrios: a lot of people give him flack on returns but he seems to be sure handed and have decent burst. Yes, he and walton need to score in the open field, but I am fine with him returning punts. (although corn or stacy would be more of the alpha move)

Richards: Next stud wide out here. Coley will pass the torch to him. Recruit a couple of more game changers and the wide outs should be a tough unit. Hopefully have Richards, Njoku, Herndon, Berrios, Mullins to give us a good start on what should be a talented offense.

Ja Johnson: stud. Kid could play for any team in the country. Him and corn had better open field efforts against dalvin than anyone ive seen this year. Kid was recruited and highly touted for being a true "football player" and he is just that. Seems like a good kid too. Doesn't do anything extra just handles his business.

Yearby: instinctive runner. Needs to be the #1 in my opinion.

Negatives: Play calling. Guys, I never played football in high school as I focused on baseball, but it was quite clear how to take advantage of that weak fsu defense. AND WE DID THE OPPOSITE. I dissected what Louisville and UNC did to this defense and it was obvious: bombard the MIDDLE OF THE FIELD!!! Crossing routes, seams, misdirection. WHERE WAS ANY OF THAT? I'm not the type to throw Richt under the bus but my goodness, absolute failure to not score 45 on that team. NJoku and Herndon should have had an absolute field day. I was for a lack of better words "depressed" at the game plan we threw out there. There's really no excuse. It's not the vanilla playbook. There better be some improvement from Richt in this department. You don't pay 4 million a year to get a gameplan that James Coley could have come up with in an all nighter.

Kaaya: Love the kid. Seems genuinely all about the U. But man, IDC how immobile you are, you have to be able to step up in the pocket or attempt to run to get easy first downs and move the chains. FSU's little freshman makes the game easier by being able to move. You'd think a junior kaaya could atleast step up in the pocket. I dont think a dual threat QB is absolutely necessary like some, but the game becomes a lot easier when the QB can use his legs to move the chains or create a new pocket in which to throw. Some play calls may be out of the question due to his inability to move.
So what is Kaaya's legacy? Pro scouts love him but man I have seen every game he has played and I think he is what he is. A good guy, decent college quarterback with strong arm talent but he is not a transcendent player. Is it time to move on to the Perry, weldon, or Allison era? We shall see

Oline: Yes, kaaya could make life easier on this unit but man. The run blocking is a nightmare. Seems every year against FSU we might as well eliminate the run. One drive yearby and the oline looked cohesive but overall a really weak performance. Pass blocking wasnt too bad albeit. Gotta get an influx of talent here. Telfort, Donaldson, and by miracle Leatherwood could help this unit immediately.

Walton: kid has elite athleticism and I think gives great effort. The run called back was incredible. However, he is the trent richardosn NFL version equivalent when it comes to vision. Kid will have holes and run the other way. Seems he's gotta be in space to make something happen and thats troublesome with the oline we have right now. Believe yearby is the better option to get 60 percent of carries. Walton has all the ability just seems to struggle with vision.

Blocked xp: cant let them get a push there. Not the reason we lost the game but that was such a "last decade Miami" play. I almost had to laugh when it happened. Cant make this stuff up (kick seemed low too)

No onside kick: listen, the defense played well but I think you give yourself the best chance to win by the onside there. The play action rollout was so predictable. Should have seen it coming. You havent beaten these guys in 6 tries, be aggressive. Also not thrilled by the 51 yeard field goal on 4th and 1. Be the alpha, richt. your team will take your attitude as a result.

Overall: sorry for the lengthy post. Just thought I'd post my observations from the game. If this defense can keep it up from the D Line to improved Secondary play, there's a lot to look forward to in coming years. (and no this isnt blind optimism. Im as critical as anyone.)
Richt must improve as a play caller and we need to recruit several game changers in the secondary, receiver, and o line. I believe this will be Nkosi Perry's team in a couple of years and hopefully we begin our own streak against FSU and make a run at the playoffs.

No matter what, It's all about this ********** U baby. Love all yall canes fam. let's bounce back and support these dudes.

Advertisement
I don't know, but I wonder if Richt was hesitant to call much downfield passing after Brad hurt his shoulder on the first play of the game. Just a thought.

I don't know, but I wonder if Richt was hesitant to call much downfield passing after Brad hurt his shoulder on the first play of the game. Just a thought.

It's possible but I doubt it. He threw some lengthy throws to coley and seemed okay. Think it'd just be wishful thinking to think he was hurting too bad to go downfield.

meant to put corn in with the positives: kid is such a baller. Kid from tennessee nonetheless

Advertisement
Back