God **** It: It Is Time To Re-Examine Mario Cristobal

I am extremely anti-hiring a Miami guy just for the sake of hiring a Miami guy. This seems to be a problem the program and fans have had for a while now. Vacancy opens up? "Pagano!" "Trestman!" "Chud! Shannon AGAIN!?"

We should be looking for quality football coaches with a record of success and production, and then going from there. If they happen to have some previous ties to Miami, so be it. BUT, the prerequisite for the position shouldn't just be "hey y'all he coached here once!"

We have to stop loading our list of candidates every time we have a vacancy with dudes just because they coached or played here. That's lazy and closes off an entire country of talented potential coaches.

Now, any time Mario Cirstobal's name has came up I vomited out of my car window and googled how to make a noose. I was always against Cristobal because his top 2 attributes you'd hear from his supporters were "from Miami bro" and "knows how to recruit." I hated the guy and regarded him as a Cuban Golden. Now, I find myself suffering under the real Cuban Al Golden as Manure proudly tells me how fast his team ran at practice after he lost to FI-*******-U.

Anyway...back to Mario.

I have always hated Mario as a candidate for us. HOWEVA, digging in on one position and not being able to adapt, or refusing to accept new information and re-evaluate in light of that information, is the act of a fool. Putting aside my initial stance on Mario and my hatred of our lazy fanbase and AD for throwing darts at a board of "Miami guys" any time a new coach is discussed, I must admit: I am impressed with Mario and he warrants monitoring and further investigation as Manure's impending termination looms.

A few things to consider as I dive deeper into Mario's career:

• The two seasons prior to Cristobal becoming theit HC, Oregon went 4-8 and 7-5.

• He's since won 9 and 11 games.

* He just won a Power 5 Conference Title.

* He also won another Conference Title at FIU.

* We have ZERO Conference Titles in 15 years of ACC play

• Mario seems to know how to spot talented coaches on the rise and build a quality staff.

* At FIU, he employed Todd Orlando, Scott Scatterfield, and Geoff Collins as coordinators.

• Orlando went on to became DC for Texas (just got fired, but still)

• Scatterfield had huge success at App State as their HC, and just won ACC Coach of the Year for Louisville.

• Collins became a DC for two SEC programs, then a HC at Temple and now the HC at GT.

* That's a **** of a coaching tree for a short stint at a Sun Belt program as a young head coach.

* Mario does seem to be a strong recruiter.

* Mario's first full class last year was ranked #7

* His current class is ranked #11

* Oregon's classes the 5 years before him: 19, 27, 16, 21, 19

I know Mario was the pick in December by many people inside of Miami's power circle, but they were overruled by more powerful individuals inside the Manny faction.

As a long-time Mario detractor, once Manure is fired next year, I think Mario has (barring a big-time pants-pooping in 2020) earned himself an interview and spot on the candidate list for reasons other than "he coached here and is from here, bro!" He's actually proving he can win games now at a high level, instead of being hyped up just for being a former Cane that recruited for Nick Saban.

And that is somewhat reassuring.

it takes a big man to evolve and change their position in light of more evidence. My salute...

Advertisement
it takes a big man to evolve and change their position in light of more evidence. My salute...
Steve was it just me not impressed with this fight the other day. It was already a snooze fest as Ruiz never impressed me. I've completely changed my tune on joshua though. Always thought hed be able to handle the power of wilder by outboxing him and sticking that jab. But Ruiz power doesnt compare to wilder's and he clearly couldnt handle that. I've come to the conclusion that joshua is just way to stiff(my original concern)to handle his power. Sad cause wilder & no one else impresses me in the least as heavyweights... Tony's fight in paris was pretty impressive. But I gotta see how he develops. Past that rock & shakur are my only hope for boxing now.

Steve was it just me not impressed with this fight the other day. It was already a snooze fest as Ruiz never impressed me. I've completely changed my tune on joshua though. Always thought hed be able to handle the power of wilder by outboxing him and sticking that jab. But Ruiz power doesnt compare to wilder's and he clearly couldnt handle that. I've come to the conclusion that joshua is just way to stiff(my original concern)to handle his power. Sad cause wilder & no one else impresses me in the least as heavyweights... Tony's fight in paris was pretty impressive. But I gotta see how he develops. Past that rock & shakur are my only hope for boxing now.

AJ is now Klitschko while under Manny Steward, he knows he can be dented and hurt, and he'll box his way, very cautiously to wins from here on out.

Ruiz is who he is, motivation will always be an issue for him

Here are my detailed thoughts on the division:

AJ is now Klitschko while under Manny Steward, he knows he can be dented and hurt, and he'll box his way, very cautiously to wins from here on out.

Ruiz is who he is, motivation will always be an issue for him

Here are my detailed thoughts on the division:

Only klitshko that ever impressed me was vitali. Think his brother simply benefitted from a crap division. Youd obviously know better than me one way or the other. Just my opinion. See u out this way soon.

Advertisement
Nah. Trust me on this one certain things were just not ready for. Especially when this staph is the current reality. I'll just say even mandy had tons of very well respected options. Couldve had an all star staff instead of this staph. Mario had an all world staff ready. People might doubt cause they might not understand how long that's been in the wood works. It was years in the makings and time was of the essence so he could recruit. But oh well. Spilled milk.

I think you hinted that Winston Moss was going to be Cristobal's DC in another thread. Am I correct we could have had Moss instead of "worst in the country on 4th downs" Baker as DC?

I used to be anti-Mario. I still have my doubts about him without Herbert (a Helfrich recruit), but I’d definitely prefer him over Manuel.

I am extremely anti-hiring a Miami guy just for the sake of hiring a Miami guy. This seems to be a problem the program and fans have had for a while now. Vacancy opens up? "Pagano!" "Trestman!" "Chud! Shannon AGAIN!?"

We should be looking for quality football coaches with a record of success and production, and then going from there. If they happen to have some previous ties to Miami, so be it. BUT, the prerequisite for the position shouldn't just be "hey y'all he coached here once!"

We have to stop loading our list of candidates every time we have a vacancy with dudes just because they coached or played here. That's lazy and closes off an entire country of talented potential coaches.

Now, any time Mario Cirstobal's name has came up I vomited out of my car window and googled how to make a noose. I was always against Cristobal because his top 2 attributes you'd hear from his supporters were "from Miami bro" and "knows how to recruit." I hated the guy and regarded him as a Cuban Golden. Now, I find myself suffering under the real Cuban Al Golden as Manure proudly tells me how fast his team ran at practice after he lost to FI-*******-U.

Anyway...back to Mario.

I have always hated Mario as a candidate for us. HOWEVA, digging in on one position and not being able to adapt, or refusing to accept new information and re-evaluate in light of that information, is the act of a fool. Putting aside my initial stance on Mario and my hatred of our lazy fanbase and AD for throwing darts at a board of "Miami guys" any time a new coach is discussed, I must admit: I am impressed with Mario and he warrants monitoring and further investigation as Manure's impending termination looms.

A few things to consider as I dive deeper into Mario's career:

• The two seasons prior to Cristobal becoming theit HC, Oregon went 4-8 and 7-5.

• He's since won 9 and 11 games.

* He just won a Power 5 Conference Title.

* He also won another Conference Title at FIU.

* We have ZERO Conference Titles in 15 years of ACC play

• Mario seems to know how to spot talented coaches on the rise and build a quality staff.

* At FIU, he employed Todd Orlando, Scott Scatterfield, and Geoff Collins as coordinators.

• Orlando went on to became DC for Texas (just got fired, but still)

• Scatterfield had huge success at App State as their HC, and just won ACC Coach of the Year for Louisville.

• Collins became a DC for two SEC programs, then a HC at Temple and now the HC at GT.

* That's a **** of a coaching tree for a short stint at a Sun Belt program as a young head coach.

* Mario does seem to be a strong recruiter.

* Mario's first full class last year was ranked #7

* His current class is ranked #11

* Oregon's classes the 5 years before him: 19, 27, 16, 21, 19

I know Mario was the pick in December by many people inside of Miami's power circle, but they were overruled by more powerful individuals inside the Manny faction.

As a long-time Mario detractor, once Manure is fired next year, I think Mario has (barring a big-time pants-pooping in 2020) earned himself an interview and spot on the candidate list for reasons other than "he coached here and is from here, bro!" He's actually proving he can win games now at a high level, instead of being hyped up just for being a former Cane that recruited for Nick Saban.

And that is somewhat reassuring.

this is perhaps one of the most intelligent and dispassionate posts i've ever read on here.

Last edited:
As I spend more time on this board, the more I respect @dsddcane's opinion. If he says Mario is worth a shot, then I will defer to his opinion.

I can't say I'm convinced, but @WhatTheHell sure lays out enough evidence to make me agree with him.

Advertisement
Big time test right now for Miami's potential savior.

Can an actual "Miami Guy Bro" continue to prove it on the field and give us hope after Manny's reign of incompetence ends?
Going up against a legit coach with some time off in between always interests me

I used to be Anti-Mario as well but not anymore.

Advertisement
BWAHAHAHAA!!! 14-10 the fightin' Marios!!

Took Oregon +3.

We need to strike on Mario ASAP. Herbert is leaving and we had a good recruiting class. I think he would come home and this small window would be a great time to pull the trigger.

I’m holding out hope something may happen after this game is over and we are serious about spending the money to do it. Ferman claims there are boosters ready to write checks. That’s how you make a statement. Ironically enough Mario is at the “Just do it” school. We need to slap the college football world in the face with that slogan.

Advertisement
Why on earth would Mario come here? There’s No reason
People are under the impression he wants this job more than anything. Idk him at all to know either way. I think the convo goes to bed soon. He will sign a major extension with Oregon with a high buyout. If he wants Miami job he puts a clause in for Miami but doubt that happens

I dont get the hate with Mario. Not saying he’s the correct man for THIS job, but he is surely a more competent head ball coach than Mandy iaz ever will be. Yous are all high on crack cocaine if you say you wouldn’t rather Mario than Mandy (hypothetically if they hired him last year). At least the kids on the team would respect him & the broken locker room could begin to mend.

Going up against a legit coach with some time off in between always interests me

I used to be Anti-Mario as well but not anymore.
I've done a complete 180 on Mario. Most of my **** was being bitter with leaving us for Bama, and thinking he was only being asked for because he played here. Of course, he could just as well **** his pants today and I'd come full circle and go back to not wanting him again.

Advertisement
Back