Giving one more Make or Break Year to Manny VS. parting ways now

Advertisement
I know many are vocal about cutting Ties with Manny, but I wanted to address the Pros & cons of doing so now vs. giving him a make or break year next year.

From my perspective Manny is a good organization leader/GM type. Building a college program has many different aspects, and he has done a good job of recruiting and getting buy in from players seeing his vision. He has done a good job making quick decisions around change from coordinators, portal decisions, the branding with #TNM and the mystique of the U. Recruiting being the big one, but building a program isn't easy.

However, it shows on the field he's a poor in game coach. His teams seem to lack discipline and lack preparation. They always start slow. There's concept, technique and scheme flaws that are consistent. The missed tackling, poor angles, over flowing to the ball, lane & gap integrity and then even tactical coaching choices. For example last night I was saying it to my friend w/ me at the game that UVA is tired and we are running all over them late in the fourth. To avoid possible long FG, pound the rock and go for the TD, on top of being a lot of pressure on a true frosh kicker n first ACC game. You can always settle for FG, so why not go for TD? There are couple dozen other example we could point to.

He takes accountability, or used to, but doesn't pass that accountability down. He's not hard nosed. You cant be everyone's buddy.

The downside of letting him go now is the momentum recruiting, and the player buy in. We would risk losing all the DB's we have coming because of Robinson, who could be gone if Manny was canned.

There is likely to be loss of players already in program, and the Frosh & soph classes are loaded. Forget the stars, these kids can actually ball in games. The frosh class both sides of the ball is impressive. QB play - for the first time in forever, we have a very strong QB room. We are set up to contend for national title Garcia's JR year. This incoming class is key, given 3 strong classes in a row, and it might be a weak class if Miami doesn't win, but there's talent on O line & D line developing over next two years. The LB's who are frosh and sophs have a chance, compared to the extremely poor play we have there now. Receivers as a whole, and especially the three amigos along with Arroyo at TE, Garcia or TVD at QB, Knighton and/or Chaney as RB's is an elite offensive core.

Defensively much of the same. Taylor absolutely balled last night and Roberts played very well also. We would rsik losing the D ends we have great shot at. additionally, chase smith, the two williams and Kam, elite incoming long DB's paired with the offense I just spoke about is legit special....As much as I know Manny isnt the actual game coach we need, he isn't a guy, I think the alternative is worse and would be a long rebuild. We are close so lets ride it out. (plus Mario needs a couple more yrs in Oregon anyways, ha)
I’m case u haven’t noticed, recruiting is already dead

Go listen to his presser last night and tell me that doesnt sound exactly like AL GOLDEN up there. The faster we get rid of Manny the better. The new coach can retain T ROB as DB coach.

For me someone has to get fired this year. If it isn't Manny then Blake has to go. Preferably both but I'd love for Blake to get the boot. Then hire Highsmith and when Manny shxts the bed next year Highsmith hires his guy.
Little children were seen chanting “Fire Manny” walking out of the game last night. I mean even the eternally chipper foam-finger waving fan contingent was up in arms last night. When you lose them, it’s over man. There may not be a next week for Manny let alone a “next year.”
But yeah, tell James to GTFOH!

Advertisement
Obviously I'm in the minority, as this board is clearly seeing red at the moment (justifiably so)... But OP made reasonable post that outlines the good vs. bad with Manny, and the likely scenarios that will unfold if he were to get canned immediately.

IMO, the AD change needs to happen first. Pulling the plug on both right now means you risk personnel (mostly younger player) losses that we'll ultimately regret later. Manny's last day should ultimately depend on what makes the most sense for the program, not appeasing media vultures or disgruntled posters. I just hope that whoever is calling the shots is A) a cold MFer with some finesse, and B) not Blake James (was implied in part A)

Little children were seen chanting “Fire Manny” walking out of the game last night. I mean even the eternally chipper foam-finger waving fan contingent was up in arms last night. When you lose them, it’s over man. There may not be a next week for Manny let alone a “next year.”
But yeah, tell James to GTFOH!
Obviously I want Manny Fired, or maybe you couldn't comprehend that. I am just putting out the fact if one of them had to go I would prefer Blake right now. I was at the game last night I could hear the Fire Manny chants for myself.

We're in year 6 of Manny's defense and this defense can't tackle, is consistently out of position, blows assignments and lacks basic fundamentals. What else do you need?

Your longest paragraph is the only evidence you need to fire Manny! No coaching ability, not smart,weak concept, technique and on and on! No more excuses, fire him now so we can start to excel!!!

Advertisement
Never prepared, soft practices and team who can’t tackle, and schemes full of gimmicks that don’t even work. The make or break is already broken. Pull the bandaid

I just posted this on another thread, the only benefit of keeping him would be our enemies benefit!!!

Send him to ******* **** with fake Blake!

If you didn't know exactly what Diaz was after we lost to GT in 2019, I can't help you.

Advertisement
I'll play.

No to more time. If you asked me at the beginning of the season, I was adamant that it's not fair to judge a coach unless you give him 4 years. However, that is because you need to give the guy a chance to cycle out all the previous coach's recruits and bring in his own. Also typically need to give the guy time to break bad habits.

Diaz is a special case. This has been his defense for six years. As far as I know, Richt didn't control who Diaz recruited or pick Diaz's staff. There is no explanation for why the team leads the country in missed tackles. Can't explain why Diaz and staff haven't been able to recruit elite DEs even though they put up gaudy numbers. Can't explain why the best players tend to be transfers. And most damning, Diaz can't explain why he hasn't been able to land even one LB ranked in the top 100 players in the country in 6 years. The best LBs appear to be avoiding his defense. The team looks worse now than it did in Richts last year. When you take a snapshot at the 3 yr mark and everything looks like it has gone backwards and players don't understand basic fundamentals, chances are it isnt going to get better.

Whether he's canned now or not, his recruits will know his days are numbered and they'll have to decide whether they want to deal with a coaching change and a new staff...

Obviously I'm in the minority, as this board is clearly seeing red at the moment (justifiably so)... But OP made reasonable post that outlines the good vs. bad with Manny, and the likely scenarios that will unfold if he were to get canned immediately.

IMO, the AD change needs to happen first. Pulling the plug on both right now means you risk personnel (mostly younger player) losses that we'll ultimately regret later. Manny's last day should ultimately depend on what makes the most sense for the program, not appeasing media vultures or disgruntled posters. I just hope that whoever is calling the shots is A) a cold MFer with some finesse, and B) not Blake James (was implied in part A)
The coach will go first. The AD will get his time on the chopping block at the end of the season when the BOT, not the AD, chooses the coach.

Advertisement
Where is this, he is good at organizing and all that? Some people are so full of wishful thinking, they try to imagine things thats not even there. Its too funny. His job is to coach the team. To make the players better individually, then make the team more than the sum of its parts, so if all the parts add up to 85/100, his job is to get it to equal 90/100 Etc. All this he is organize and all that yet there is a disconnect between him continue to play underforming players and more talented players who sit on the bench. Where is this great CEO thing coming from.

He has 2 more years after this 1, which means he has 1, they will have to extend his contract long before his last season, even before mid season next year and he has shown nothing to earn an extension. He would be a lame duck in recruiting. With must part ways with him. He is in over his head. Never HC material.

We're in year 6 of Manny's defense and this defense can't tackle, is consistently out of position, blows assignments and lacks basic fundamentals. What else do you need?
But but but did the op not say he has been a good recruiter. Does he not consider this defense to be Manny's recruits? Could not read any further after reading that.

I know many are vocal about cutting Ties with Manny, but I wanted to address the Pros & cons of doing so now vs. giving him a make or break year next year.

From my perspective Manny is a good organization leader/GM type. Building a college program has many different aspects, and he has done a good job of recruiting and getting buy in from players seeing his vision. He has done a good job making quick decisions around change from coordinators, portal decisions, the branding with #TNM and the mystique of the U. Recruiting being the big one, but building a program isn't easy.

However, it shows on the field he's a poor in game coach. His teams seem to lack discipline and lack preparation. They always start slow. There's concept, technique and scheme flaws that are consistent. The missed tackling, poor angles, over flowing to the ball, lane & gap integrity and then even tactical coaching choices. For example last night I was saying it to my friend w/ me at the game that UVA is tired and we are running all over them late in the fourth. To avoid possible long FG, pound the rock and go for the TD, on top of being a lot of pressure on a true frosh kicker n first ACC game. You can always settle for FG, so why not go for TD? There are couple dozen other example we could point to.

He takes accountability, or used to, but doesn't pass that accountability down. He's not hard nosed. You cant be everyone's buddy.

The downside of letting him go now is the momentum recruiting, and the player buy in. We would risk losing all the DB's we have coming because of Robinson, who could be gone if Manny was canned.

There is likely to be loss of players already in program, and the Frosh & soph classes are loaded. Forget the stars, these kids can actually ball in games. The frosh class both sides of the ball is impressive. QB play - for the first time in forever, we have a very strong QB room. We are set up to contend for national title Garcia's JR year. This incoming class is key, given 3 strong classes in a row, and it might be a weak class if Miami doesn't win, but there's talent on O line & D line developing over next two years. The LB's who are frosh and sophs have a chance, compared to the extremely poor play we have there now. Receivers as a whole, and especially the three amigos along with Arroyo at TE, Garcia or TVD at QB, Knighton and/or Chaney as RB's is an elite offensive core.

Defensively much of the same. Taylor absolutely balled last night and Roberts played very well also. We would rsik losing the D ends we have great shot at. additionally, chase smith, the two williams and Kam, elite incoming long DB's paired with the offense I just spoke about is legit special....As much as I know Manny isnt the actual game coach we need, he isn't a guy, I think the alternative is worse and would be a long rebuild. We are close so lets ride it out. (plus Mario needs a couple more yrs in Oregon anyways, ha)

This recruiting class is my biggest concern also. That's why I've said... I won't be happy when (not if) Manny and Blake are let go. I'll only be happy when I see who (head coach and staff, AD and staff) is hired to replace them, and what kind of structural changes are made.

I'm interested in results, not revenge.

But recruiting is actually a reason to not delay the firing. This year, we have a recruiting class ranked in the 40's. With the negativity swirling around the program, there is no reason to believe that will improve. Local kids watch the games, and they are not insulated from local and national media constantly bashing the Canes.

To be frank, Miami needs to change the narrative. They need to hire a home run, they need to make big changes, and they need to sell it.

And also consider this - this year's class was always going to be small. We were always going to need to use the portal. Typically, it's better to make coaching changes in years where your class is small than in years where your roster numbers are low.

It's never a good time to fire a coach... but it would be even worse to wait. That's my takeaway.

There is no down side.

Everything mentioned is just a natural consequence of any coaching change no matter when you make it. You will always risk losing a player here or there but it is irrelevant to the long-term goals. When it is time to make a change, you make it. Delaying for reasons like money, recruiting or momentum only serves to exacerbate the current problems and create more.

Your goal for a coaching change is to improve long-term even if you have to suffer a little today. Don’t worry about this recruiting class. You have likely lost anyone that was on the fence anyway. Especially, when your current coach keeps losing and your program becomes the joke of the country.

Every loss with Manny is one step further into the abyss and only makes it harder to get out. He becomes a lame duck and no recruit is going to listen to him or believe him or anyone else on the staff anyway. He will have lost any momentum you had hoped to salvage by keeping him.

A new coach inserts energy and a new direction to improvement and maybe recruits will even consider staying or joining. As soon as you know a change is needed you make it and you make it as soon as possible.

Advertisement
Back