Gino

They had a great team in 2016 and most of that team returned for 2017. What were Morris and Di Mare to do? Revoke the scholarships of 4 to 5 players that had been there for 3 years and were instrumental to reaching Omaha in both 2015 and 2016........ Morris had to play with what they had. He did bring in 4 JUCOs to buttress the team....

It seems like the new 2018 recruits were stellar, but the 2018 team lost its two best players (best players at that moment in time) for ~24 games.

If there is not marked improvement during 2018/2019, then there is a serious problem, but this team won 11 games in a row and improved commensurately during the course of the season. That comeback against Clemson from 8 runs down was heartening.

If Reyes and Amditis do not suffer injuries, this is a different season altogether (in my opinion).

The coaching staff knows exactly who they expect to be there the next season, and it is their job in recruiting to fill these holes on the roster with Miami caliber players. It is also their job to manage how much scholarship $ they hand out per position to keep the team as balanced as possible.

Reyes getting hurt was a blow, but what has Amditis done offensively to think he would have changed anything? Quinones outplayed him as an unheralded Freshman catcher.

Advertisement
The coaching staff knows exactly who they expect to be there the next season, and it is their job in recruiting to fill these holes on the roster with Miami caliber players. It is also their job to manage how much scholarship $ they hand out per position to keep the team as balanced as possible.

Reyes getting hurt was a blow, but what has Amditis done offensively to think he would have changed anything? Quinones outplayed him as an unheralded Freshman catcher.

Ok, so you gut the 2017 team and bring in blue-chip recruits. Michelangeli played great in 2016 and Ruiz, I believe, batted > 0.300. If you revoke their scholarships, it could markedly hurt you with Miami high-school coaches that "fund" our success. Look at the Figueroa twin that batted 0.250 and returned and ended up drafted. Look at Roger Tomas. Our 4-year players improved commensurately until 2017. They DID bring in new players. They brought in 4 and missed on all of them.... It happens.

Amditis was batting > 0.300 when he was injured, and had the second best batting average on the team at that moment in time. Despite that, the team mounted an 11 game winning streak and faltered against Clemson in the end, but during both seasons, the team fought until the end.

Look at Garrido's teams during his latter years... At the first sign of adversity, they folded.

2017 and 2018 were failures, but am not sure anyone could have done much better. The 2015 and 2016 teams were as "as good as it gets".

The one complaint was the 4 JUCO recruits of 2017.

Ok, so you gut the 2017 team and bring in blue-chip recruits. Michelangeli played great in 2016 and Ruiz, I believe, batted > 0.300. If you revoke their scholarships, it could markedly hurt you with Miami high-school coaches that "fund" our success. Look at the Figueroa twin that batted 0.250 and returned and ended up drafted. Look at Roger Tomas. Our 4-year players improved commensurately until 2017. They DID bring in new players. They brought in 4 and missed on all of them.... It happens.

Amditis was batting > 0.300 when he was injured, and had the second best batting average on the team at that moment in time. Despite that, the team mounted an 11 game winning streak and faltered against Clemson in the end, but during both seasons, the team fought until the end.

Look at Garrido's teams during his latter years... At the first sign of adversity, they folded.

2017 and 2018 were failures, but am not sure anyone could have done much better. The 2015 and 2016 teams were as "as good as it gets".

The one complaint was the 4 JUCO recruits of 2017.

I wouldn't have revoked anyone's scholarship $. There are 27 scholarship players on the roster (15 position players and 12 pitchers let's say). You're always going to miss on kids, it happens. You can't miss on 4 in one class.

We have signed two Perfect Game/Under Armour All American hitters in the last few years: Amditis and Toral. They were considered the best of the best in the country, and have squandered at Miami so far. That is on the coaching staff.

The 4 JUCO "misses" in 2017 were on Di Mare. Cannot argue that. They needed to "hit" on all 4, and one of the players never even made it to campus.

When Amditis plays for long stretches, he is stellar. I will wait until the 2018//2019 season. I expect him to perform to his ability next year.

Advertisement
They had a great team in 2016 and most of that team returned for 2017. What were Morris and Di Mare to do? Revoke the scholarships of 4 to 5 players that had been there for 3 years and were instrumental to reaching Omaha in both 2015 and 2016........ Morris had to play with what they had. He did bring in 4 JUCOs to buttress the team....

It seems like the new 2018 recruits were stellar, but the 2018 team lost its two best players (best players at that moment in time) for ~24 games.

If there is not marked improvement during 2018/2019, then there is a serious problem, but this team won 11 games in a row and improved commensurately during the course of the season. That comeback against Clemson from 8 runs down was heartening.

If Reyes and Amditis do not suffer injuries, this is a different season altogether (in my opinion).

Opponents' RPI for the 11 game winning streak this season:

11 (after losing first 2 games of series)

Even the 2015 and 2016 teams feasted off crap opponents, including ridiculously fortuitous regional and super regional draws both years, only to get embarrassed in Omaha.

Last edited:
Opponents' RPI for the 11 game winning streak this season:

11 (after losing first 2 games of series)

Even the 2015 and 2016 teams feasted off crap opponents, including ridiculously fortuitous regional and super regional draws both years, only to get embarrassed in Omaha.

If you were not elated by the 2015 and 2016 seasons, then you should stop following the team. Period. Once you reach Omaha the relative-likelihood of winning among all 8 teams balances out commensurately. That is why you see the Coastal Carolinas, Arizonas and Fresno States win.

If you cannot enjoy an 11 game winning streak from a team comprised of 6 freshman, then focus on football.

The current environment does not resemble that of 1989 nor even 2006. Even Torbin's teams dipped from~50 wins to mid-30s.

To me, Omaha is akin to the Final Four in basketball. I want them in Omaha as often as possible so that they break through. It is so statistically difficult to reach the Series that just attaining that objective is exemplary (in my opinion). Fraser won twice as did MOrris. Hopefully, Gino does the same.

That 11 game winning streak came against the worst part of our schedule. As soon as we played a top 75 team we didn't compete and the streak and season came to a crashing halt.

If you were not elated by the 2015 and 2016 seasons, then you should stop following the team. Period. Once you reach Omaha the relative-likelihood of winning among all 8 teams balances out commensurately. That is why you see the Coastal Carolinas, Arizonas and Fresno States win.

If you cannot enjoy an 11 game winning streak from a team comprised of 6 freshman, then focus on football.

The current environment does not resemble that of 1989 nor even 2006. Even Torbin's teams dipped from~50 wins to mid-30s.

To me, Omaha is akin to the Final Four in basketball. I want them in Omaha as often as possible so that they break through. It is so statistically difficult to reach the Series that just attaining that objective is exemplary (in my opinion). Fraser won twice as did MOrris. Hopefully, Gino does the same.

I was not elated by the 2015 and 2016 seasons because those seasons continued what is now a decade long trend of us being dominated by FSU and UF, which is the clearest measuring stick of where the program is.

In regard to the 11 game winning streak...I don't care much about the basketball team running off 11 in a row against cupcakes either.

Advertisement
Are you going on record as saying that it's rare for a team to play above their seed?

You're the one who claims that it's all predictable despite the utter unpredictability of it.

I'm saying that just because Tennessee Tech does it one time doesn't mean that we will (or should do it) too.

Cal State Fullerton played above their seed and you ripped their coach for going 0-2 in Omaha. None of this stuff matters because when you're wrong you just wait until the next time you can rip someone or make up a metric.

Advertisement
I was not elated by the 2015 and 2016 seasons because those seasons continued what is now a decade long trend of us being dominated by FSU and UF, which is the clearest measuring stick of where the program is.

Your arguments are so dumb that it's mind-boggling.

And they're not even accurate.

We went 1-2 vs. FSU in 2015 (because of an infamous "ground-rule double") and 2-2 in 2016 (both losses were walk-offs).

So 3-4 against Florida State with a ground-rule double costing us one win and two walk-off losses.

But they "dominated" us.

We went to the CWS both years. FSU didn't go even once.

But somehow they "dominated" us.

You're an embarrassment.

Cal State Fullerton and UCLA are DOMINATING USC right now and pretty much have been since 1998. USC is one of the richest athletic programs in the country.

75% of UM's tuition is $36,540 versus $4,786 for in-state tuition at Florida or FSU. You are asking kids from Hialeah to pay $95,263 for 3 years or
$127,017 for 4-years. I think USC has been to the tournament 3x in the past 17 years and Stanford missed the tournament every other year since 2007.

I think that is a marked advantage.

No, again, I said it's weird because you just made it up.

And you haven't disputed that.

It's not made up. You play against higher or lower seeds throughout the postseason. We haven't beaten a higher seed in 12 years. We haven't beaten a #1 seed in 10 years. Again, when you're not going to be a national seed 80% of the time, you're forced to play higher seeds.

Advertisement
You're the one who claims that it's all predictable despite the utter unpredictability of it.

I'm saying that just because Tennessee Tech does it one time doesn't mean that we will (or should do it) too.

Cal State Fullerton played above their seed and you ripped their coach for going 0-2 in Omaha. None of this stuff matters because when you're wrong you just wait until the next time you can rip someone or make up a metric.

So you think Tennessee Tech is the one example in 2018? Someone beating a higher seed happens just once a year?

Cal State Fullerton and UCLA are DOMINATING USC right now and pretty much have been since 1998. USC is one of the richest athletic programs in the country.

75% of UM's tuition is $36,540 versus $4,786 for in-state tuition at Florida or FSU. You are asking kids from Hialeah to pay $95,263 for 3 years or
$127,017 for 4-years. I think USC has been to the tournament 3x in the past 17 years and Stanford missed the tournament every other year since 2007.

I think that is a marked advantage.

Because we can only recruit kids from Hialeah.

FYI, you should go to a seminar to learn about financial aid in college. No one pays full sticker price at a private school. And heaven forbid we find some kids who can get some academic money.

Advertisement
Back