Gil Frierson & Chase Smith... [question]

McKenzieMoore

Recruit
How are they looking after 7 months in the new strength and conditioning program? How do they project to factor into the LB rotation this Fall?

Advertisement
Advertisement
These 2 should never leave the field. They’ll make some mistakes but they’re both aggressive & miami caliber athletes.

Gil is an LB now???
Striker was an OLB agile enough to cover slot receivers. McCloud was a liability in that regard and teams were motioning their slots to create a mismatch a lot. I particularly noticed FSU doing it in the 28-27 comeback game. We had no other options at LB, and Finley/Frierson/Keontra Smith weren't getting PT at Safety. Gil looked a lot bigger in Spring and we've seen pics of Keontra Smith being up to 230 now. I'm wondering if Gil and Chase have followed suit.

I have been educated thanks guys. Given how hyped Gil was, I’m glad he’s in a position of need and hoping this staff can make him stand out consistently rather than just flashing as he has.

Advertisement
I think this D has a shot to be pretty **** good.
Filled a lot of holes. Raised the floor a ton and added some playmakers in addition to some we already had hopefully taking the next step at every level in LT, Chase, and the Williams bros ( won’t sleep in Kinchens though kid is a stud).

Filled a lot of holes. Raised the floor a ton and added some playmakers in addition to some we already had hopefully taking the next step at every level in LT, Chase, and the Williams bros ( won’t sleep in Kinchens though kid is a stud).
Kam is the real deal between the ears. Good problem to have with those 3.

These 2 should never leave the field. They’ll make some mistakes but they’re both aggressive & miami caliber athletes.
so who sits? Obviously, Chase and Gil won't play on the line....

So out of Caleb Johnson, Keontra, JW, Kam, Avantae, Tyrique, Porter Jr,

Who do Gil and Chase replace?

Advertisement
Advertisement
so who sits? Obviously, Chase and Gil won't play on the line....

So out of Caleb Johnson, Keontra, JW, Kam, Avantae, Tyrique, Porter Jr,

Who do Gil and Chase replace?
Gil and Chase are OLBs. Gil will be undisputed 1st team with Steed backing him up and Chase will/should split reps with Keontra.

Wild card is at MLB....Will Keontra play there to allow WB to play OLB and get snaps as Chase/Steed backup?

Caleb Johnson and Flagg are also our MLBs.... so the million $ question is, did Keontra bulked up to play MLB?.....if so, could this be one of Mario's ways of gently nudging guys to transfer who are not up to par?....I don't know but we'll all find out soon enough.....I do know this though, but urself in a guy like Flagg's shoes....If ur Flagg going into ur Jr season and sitting 3rd team MLB and with absolute stud LBs coming in Bryant/PoPo.....you almost have to make a decision if you want PT and the necessary on field tape for a shot at the pros....IMO....the writing is on the wall.

Lots of questions will be answered by Week 2.5 of fall camp when the rotation dust begins to be clear. We'll then begin to get an idea of who may be being "gently nudged" out after the season to bring those numbers to 85.

Advertisement
Back