Geo's Dade/Broward County Spring Top 50, Class of 2017

Advertisement
Yea, chiding Grimes for production but having Burns at 2 is hypocritical.

Never seen either but disagree with this logic. Grimes has had opportunities to produce and hasn't wowed Geo, Burns hasn't been playing (correct?). Apples and oranges if I understand Burns' situation correctly.

Burns is too high. He has never produced anything in high school. The physical gifts are there but the production is pure ****.

Yep. Grimes also has the physical gifts but is only #10 ....seems extremely biased.

I don't see the bias when I have Slaton at the top and we're not even in the picture right now. Samuels an fsu legacy within the top 8 and Jeudy who's considered an Alabama lean by most at 4. A year ago Samuels would have been lower on this list in my opinion.

Daniel Wright doesn't even have Miami in the discussion at the moment. Maybe a visit can change that. At 6.

This paragraph is sadness. :confusion:

Advertisement

Has nothing to do with his numbers. He also has size and speed. Great in track and field.

He hasn't come across as dominant. Every big game he has not shown up, in my opinion. Hallandale was the only game that sticks out. Flanagan, Deerfield, Booker T(a TD in garbage time when the game was well done doesn't count). What happened in those games? Hallandale Dbackfield as a unit is not on the same level.

At the same token, who took over in those games? Sam Bruce and STA rushing attack.

I don't think you can even blame it all on Jake Allen either. The spreading around the ball excuse is not enough either when Carol City and Deerfield do it too.

This is the same issue I had with Victor last year, I kept pointing out I wasn't high on him before he ever gave a hint of eliminating Miami, when people started to proclaim him as the best in the state and possibly country over just purely 7on7 and camps.

Good thing is. Grimes is a lot faster, bigger and stronger than Victor was.

I'm not closing the door on him rising. I think he can.

Where as when I've seen Burns live. (He was healthy both times) He stood out as the best player on the field, he was the alpha.

What some are not taking into account, Burns injury proneness, the lack of a real offensive line(Gulliver is very short handed on their roster with kids. Practically everyone plays both sides of the ball, including Burns at LB.)

They lost two QBs, Mo Hasan(Dillard) & Dionte Mullins who they had slotted for QB and the only offensive lineman really worth anything in Bowes to STA. He missed most of his junior year, and when he did play. It was limited snaps, he just had surgery because he played through a bum shoulder and leg.

That whole junior year is a wash, no point in watching because there is nothing to see. Same goes for Steed, Scott and Marco. Doesn't take away from the prospects that they are. (Although Marco was a situational player as a sophomore)

If Burns doesn't return to what he should do. He will be dropped on the list accordingly.

Burns is too high. He has never produced anything in high school. The physical gifts are there but the production is pure ****.

Yep. Grimes also has the physical gifts but is only #10 ....seems extremely biased.

Anybody who thinks Grimes should be anything above where he is doesnt go to HS games. Have you seen him? Dingle stat wise destroys Grimes and Im not a Dingle fan. Grimes was on an offense that was LOADED so he had hella 1 on 1 opps and didnt take advantage as often as he should. Deerfield secondary shut him down and hes a bigger freak then SBruce and anyone on that Dfield secondary. He is where he should be.

Now you might be saying, "Why is Burns so high then?, he has even less production?"...I think the consensus is that once Burns has a full season to judge him on he will put up monster numbers. He just hasnt had the chances due to injury.

I see very little bias here...Name me a LB better then Wilder in the area? Most people will say that SDavis is the best DB in the area. Jeudy is actually too high IMO. He should be bottom 10. Maybe Wright and Henderson are too high but based off potential alone both those guys can be in the top 10 easily. Ford could be top 5 with a monster year at STA. The list will change as the year goes on..

Great list Geo.

lmao.

Really don't know why in the F you're rambling on about Wright, Bruce, Wilder, Jeudy, Henderson and the pope....I'm talking specifically about Burns and Grimes.

I love Dingle as a WR, he reminds me of Reggie Wayne, but he's not as good as Trevon Grimes right now. Grimes is bigger, stronger, & faster.

Robert Burns #2 over Wilder & Jeudy? Wow.

CJ Henderson over Bandy?

Mike Harley & Wright (Dillard) are too high.

Advertisement
Geo excellent work my man! Lot of games, camps, interviewing and film viewing has gone into your decisions. I appreciate your efforts for something that is impossible to quantify. What I like most is that we have a chance with many of the top Dade/Broward guys and will certainly keep many home. Just wish Slaton and Telfort would rep their region. Would to add Wright, Grimes and Jeudy too, but won't knock where you have them ranked just because you don't have my favorite players higher (wink).

1. OL Tedarrell Slaton: 6'5" 341 - American Heritage

2. RB Robert Burns: 5'11" 215 - Gulliver Prep (Miami)

3. LB De'Andre Wilder: 6'2" 202 - Carol City

4. ATH Jerry Jeudy: 6'1" 175 - Deerfield Beach

5. OL Navaughn Donaldson: 6'5" 336 - Miami Central (Miami)

6. S Daniel Wright: 6'1" 180 - Cardinal Gibbons

7. CB/S Shawn Davis: 6'1" 190 - Southridge

8. CB Stanford Samuels III: 6'1" 175 - Flanagan

9. WR Kevaughn Dingle: 6'2" 192 - Carol City

10. WR Trevon Grimes: 6'4" 195 - St. Thomas Aquinas

11. LB Waynmon Steed: 6'0" 225 - Miami Central (Miami)

12. DE/DT Jon Ford: 6'4" 270 - Dillard (Miami)

13. ATH CJ Henderson: 6'0" 170 - Columbus (Miami)

14. DE Jordan Wright: 6'5" 205 - Dillard

15. CB/S Latavious Brini: 6'2" 184 - Mater Academy

16. WR Mike Harley: 5'10" 160 - St. Thomas Aquinas

17. LB James Houston IV: 6'1" 218 - American Heritage

18. CB Trajan Bandy: 5'9" 180 - Columbus (Oklahoma)

19. WR Rodney Scott: 6'1" 175 - Southridge

20. OL Kai-Leon Herbert: 6'5" 255 - American Heritage

21. WR/TE Kemore Gamble: 6'3" 218 - Southridge (Miami)

22. DT Kivon Bennett: 6'3" 260 - St. Thomas Aquinas

23. S Billy Gibson: 6'1" 180 - Southridge (Miami)

24. LB Diego F'agot: 6'3" 230 - Calvary Christian Academy

25. OL Kadeem Telfort: 6'6" 323 - Miami Norland (UF, previously committed to Miami)

26. CB Marco Wilson: 5'10" 175 - American Heritage

27. DE Owen Carney: 6'3" 231 - Miami Central

28. CB/S Naytron Culpepper: 6'1" 175 - Carol City

29. RB Bentavious Thompson: 6'0" 195 - Southridge (Miami)

30. LB/S Nadarius F'agan: 6'2" 190 - Southridge

31. WR Daewood Davis: 6'2" 170 - Chaminade-Madonna

32. LB Chei Hill: 6'1" 215 - South Dade

33. QB Shabazz Telfort: 6'4" 210 - Boyd Anderson

34. RB Kyshaun Bryan: 5'10" 190 - St. Thomas Aquinas

35. OL Kyron Taylor: 6'3" 275 - South Dade

36. DT Rashad Colson: 6'5" 295 - Carol City

37. OL Corey Gaynor: 6'4" 282 - Douglas

38. WR Carmoni Green: 6'0" 185 - Miami Central

39. DE Guy Thomas: 6'3" 201 - Columbus

40. CB/S Brian Edwards: 6'2" 183 - Miramar (Previously committed to Louisville)

41. LB Brandon James: 6'2" 200 - Southridge

42. WR Leroy Henley: 6'1" 182 - Cardinal Gibbons

43. DE Deandre Johnson: 6'3" 230 - Southridge

44. QB Henry Colombi: 6'3" 190 - Chaminade-Madonna

45. LB Drew White: 6'1" 225 - St. Thomas Aquinas

46. WR Jordan Merrell: 5'10" 178 - St. Thomas Aquinas

47. LB Tyler Dunning: 6'1" 225 - St. Thomas Aquinas (Previously committed to Miami)

48. ATH Antwan Collier: 6'2" 185 - Southridge

49. QB Jake Allen: 6'3" 191 - St. Thomas Aquinas (UF)

50. WR Anthony White Jr.: 6'1" 170 - American

Potential Risers/Fallers:

** Robert Burns can stay just about where he's at, but he must overcome injury proneness as a Senior and deliver his strongest campaign. Physical freak and extremely athletically gifted.

** Trevon Grimes, top 5 potential. Would like to see him stand out more in pads but you can't deny his rare attributes for the WR position. One of the best 7on7 players around this class. A strong senior campaign would vault him in the top 5.

** Waynmon Steed can move up a little or down depending how he returns from injury. Arguably the best defender of any on this list as a sophomore.

** CJ Henderson, top 10 potential. Must play more corner on the field but he has been earning his stripes against some of the best WRs recently in Dade & Broward County.

** Jordan Wright has top ten potential, would like to see him become more of a complete DE as a senior. Possesses all the tools for a top flight DE.

** Latavious Brini, loads of potential. Still a bit raw but he has the size, speed and physical in his game any coach would want in a jumbo corner.

** Marco Wilson can rise up this list with a strong senior campaign. Wilson was a situational player as a sophomore so I would like to see more of him this year.

** Diego F'agot can rise up even higher on this list. Would like to see him transfer to a bigger school and tougher division first.

** Nadarius F'agan can rise up a bit on this list if his true position can become more clear. I have him pegged for Safety at the next level but he has been working with LBs at recent camps.

** Daewood Davis, could potentially rise. Plenty of speed to burn. Would like to see him become more of a complete receiver, still a bit raw. Possesses the size and speed most would covet at position.

** Chei Hill can rise up a bit, would like to see more of him playing in space and covering. Excellent pass rusher.

** Rashad Colson holds a lot of potential, a strong senior season can give him a bump on this list.

** Carmoni Green can rise up a bit with a big senior campaign. His turn in Centrals offense now.

** Guy Thomas, would like to see more consistency. Boom or bust at the next level, the right coach can have a star on his hands at the next level.

** Henry Colombi can climb the list a bit with another strong campaign. Would like to see him lead Chaminade-Madonna to a big run in the playoffs this year.

** Jordan Merrell, quickly making his name more known in Broward County(Was well known in little league and slipped under the radar at Dillard). Not sure where he comes in line for STA at WR this year (They also have Harley, Grimes, Palmer{mentioning him below}, and 2018 Moore). Merrell could rise up the list or fall if he gets lost in the shuffle this year.

** Antwan Collier, former QB for Killian converted to DB. He's still raw at the position but could be one of the biggest risers on this list by the end of the year. Big, agile, athletic and long limbs.

-------------------

Didn't include him in the list but keep an eye out for a WR transfer STA obtained, Joshua Palmer from Canada. Was the #1 Prospect in Canada. Didn't include him in the top 50 because I want to see how he adjusts on the field this year at STA.

I really liked DT Justice Dean who used to be at Champagnat Catholic, but I haven't found out where he is now or seen any film on him in a while.
Dingle over grimes .... Stop it

Anybody who thinks Grimes should be anything above where he is doesnt go to HS games. Have you seen him? Dingle stat wise destroys Grimes and Im not a Dingle fan. Grimes was on an offense that was LOADED so he had hella 1 on 1 opps and didnt take advantage as often as he should. Deerfield secondary shut him down and hes a bigger freak then SBruce and anyone on that Dfield secondary. He is where he should be.

Now you might be saying, "Why is Burns so high then?, he has even less production?"...I think the consensus is that once Burns has a full season to judge him on he will put up monster numbers. He just hasnt had the chances due to injury.

I see very little bias here...Name me a LB better then Wilder in the area? Most people will say that SDavis is the best DB in the area. Jeudy is actually too high IMO. He should be bottom 10. Maybe Wright and Henderson are too high but based off potential alone both those guys can be in the top 10 easily. Ford could be top 5 with a monster year at STA. The list will change as the year goes on..

Great list Geo.

lmao.

Really don't know why in the F you're rambling on about Wright, Bruce, Wilder, Jeudy, Henderson and the pope....I'm talking specifically about Burns and Grimes.

Ill take that as a "No" that you havent seen Grimes play live. Thanks for stopping by the booth though!

I love Dingle as a WR, he reminds me of Reggie Wayne, but he's not as good as Trevon Grimes right now. Grimes is bigger, stronger, & faster.

Robert Burns #2 over Wilder & Jeudy? Wow.

CJ Henderson over Bandy?

Mike Harley & Wright (Dillard) are too high.

30 ypc catch for dingle...In DADE. Sorry but he gets the nod until Grimes decides he wants to play like his ability says he should. I havent seen that yet from him. Just alot of hype.

Advertisement

He hasn't come across as dominant. Every big game he has not shown up, in my opinion. Hallandale was the only game that sticks out. Flanagan, Deerfield, Booker T(a TD in garbage time when the game was well done doesn't count). What happened in those games? Hallandale Dbackfield as a unit is not on the same level.

At the same token, who took over in those games? Sam Bruce and STA rushing attack.

What about the games Bruce did nada...Neither Bruce nor Grimes should be faulted...Just too many weapons

Great list Geo, thanks. Who would you consider the Top 5 must gets for Miami?

IMO..
1. Slaton
2. Jeudy
3. Wilder
4. Davis
5. Brini or Telfort

Last edited:
Advertisement
1. OL Tedarrell Slaton: 6'5" 341 - American Heritage

2. RB Robert Burns: 5'11" 215 - Gulliver Prep (Miami)

3. LB De'Andre Wilder: 6'2" 202 - Carol City

4. ATH Jerry Jeudy: 6'1" 175 - Deerfield Beach

5. OL Navaughn Donaldson: 6'5" 336 - Miami Central (Miami)

6. S Daniel Wright: 6'1" 180 - Cardinal Gibbons

7. CB/S Shawn Davis: 6'1" 190 - Southridge

8. CB Stanford Samuels III: 6'1" 175 - Flanagan

9. WR Kevaughn Dingle: 6'2" 192 - Carol City

10. WR Trevon Grimes: 6'4" 195 - St. Thomas Aquinas

11. LB Waynmon Steed: 6'0" 225 - Miami Central (Miami)

12. DE/DT Jon Ford: 6'4" 270 - Dillard (Miami)

13. ATH CJ Henderson: 6'0" 170 - Columbus (Miami)

14. DE Jordan Wright: 6'5" 205 - Dillard

15. CB/S Latavious Brini: 6'2" 184 - Mater Academy

16. WR Mike Harley: 5'10" 160 - St. Thomas Aquinas

17. LB James Houston IV: 6'1" 218 - American Heritage

18. CB Trajan Bandy: 5'9" 180 - Columbus (Oklahoma)

19. WR Rodney Scott: 6'1" 175 - Southridge

20. OL Kai-Leon Herbert: 6'5" 255 - American Heritage

21. WR/TE Kemore Gamble: 6'3" 218 - Southridge (Miami)

22. DT Kivon Bennett: 6'3" 260 - St. Thomas Aquinas

23. S Billy Gibson: 6'1" 180 - Southridge (Miami)

24. LB Diego F'agot: 6'3" 230 - Calvary Christian Academy

25. OL Kadeem Telfort: 6'6" 323 - Miami Norland (UF, previously committed to Miami)

26. CB Marco Wilson: 5'10" 175 - American Heritage

27. DE Owen Carney: 6'3" 231 - Miami Central

28. CB/S Naytron Culpepper: 6'1" 175 - Carol City

29. RB Bentavious Thompson: 6'0" 195 - Southridge (Miami)

30. LB/S Nadarius F'agan: 6'2" 190 - Southridge

31. WR Daewood Davis: 6'2" 170 - Chaminade-Madonna

32. LB Chei Hill: 6'1" 215 - South Dade

33. QB Shabazz Telfort: 6'4" 210 - Boyd Anderson

34. RB Kyshaun Bryan: 5'10" 190 - St. Thomas Aquinas

35. OL Kyron Taylor: 6'3" 275 - South Dade

36. DT Rashad Colson: 6'5" 295 - Carol City

37. OL Corey Gaynor: 6'4" 282 - Douglas

38. WR Carmoni Green: 6'0" 185 - Miami Central

39. DE Guy Thomas: 6'3" 201 - Columbus

40. CB/S Brian Edwards: 6'2" 183 - Miramar (Previously committed to Louisville)

41. LB Brandon James: 6'2" 200 - Southridge

42. WR Leroy Henley: 6'1" 182 - Cardinal Gibbons

43. DE Deandre Johnson: 6'3" 230 - Southridge

44. QB Henry Colombi: 6'3" 190 - Chaminade-Madonna

45. LB Drew White: 6'1" 225 - St. Thomas Aquinas

46. WR Jordan Merrell: 5'10" 178 - St. Thomas Aquinas

47. LB Tyler Dunning: 6'1" 225 - St. Thomas Aquinas (Previously committed to Miami)

48. ATH Antwan Collier: 6'2" 185 - Southridge

49. QB Jake Allen: 6'3" 191 - St. Thomas Aquinas (UF)

50. WR Anthony White Jr.: 6'1" 170 - American

Potential Risers/Fallers:

** Robert Burns can stay just about where he's at, but he must overcome injury proneness as a Senior and deliver his strongest campaign. Physical freak and extremely athletically gifted.

** Trevon Grimes, top 5 potential. Would like to see him stand out more in pads but you can't deny his rare attributes for the WR position. One of the best 7on7 players around this class. A strong senior campaign would vault him in the top 5.

** Waynmon Steed can move up a little or down depending how he returns from injury. Arguably the best defender of any on this list as a sophomore.

** CJ Henderson, top 10 potential. Must play more corner on the field but he has been earning his stripes against some of the best WRs recently in Dade & Broward County.

** Jordan Wright has top ten potential, would like to see him become more of a complete DE as a senior. Possesses all the tools for a top flight DE.

** Latavious Brini, loads of potential. Still a bit raw but he has the size, speed and physical in his game any coach would want in a jumbo corner.

** Marco Wilson can rise up this list with a strong senior campaign. Wilson was a situational player as a sophomore so I would like to see more of him this year.

** Diego F'agot can rise up even higher on this list. Would like to see him transfer to a bigger school and tougher division first.

** Nadarius F'agan can rise up a bit on this list if his true position can become more clear. I have him pegged for Safety at the next level but he has been working with LBs at recent camps.

** Daewood Davis, could potentially rise. Plenty of speed to burn. Would like to see him become more of a complete receiver, still a bit raw. Possesses the size and speed most would covet at position.

** Chei Hill can rise up a bit, would like to see more of him playing in space and covering. Excellent pass rusher.

** Rashad Colson holds a lot of potential, a strong senior season can give him a bump on this list.

** Carmoni Green can rise up a bit with a big senior campaign. His turn in Centrals offense now.

** Guy Thomas, would like to see more consistency. Boom or bust at the next level, the right coach can have a star on his hands at the next level.

** Henry Colombi can climb the list a bit with another strong campaign. Would like to see him lead Chaminade-Madonna to a big run in the playoffs this year.

** Jordan Merrell, quickly making his name more known in Broward County(Was well known in little league and slipped under the radar at Dillard). Not sure where he comes in line for STA at WR this year (They also have Harley, Grimes, Palmer{mentioning him below}, and 2018 Moore). Merrell could rise up the list or fall if he gets lost in the shuffle this year.

** Antwan Collier, former QB for Killian converted to DB. He's still raw at the position but could be one of the biggest risers on this list by the end of the year. Big, agile, athletic and long limbs.

-------------------

Didn't include him in the list but keep an eye out for a WR transfer STA obtained, Joshua Palmer from Canada. Was the #1 Prospect in Canada. Didn't include him in the top 50 because I want to see how he adjusts on the field this year at STA.

I really liked DT Justice Dean who used to be at Champagnat Catholic, but I haven't found out where he is now or seen any film on him in a while.

Jon Ford, Bennet, Telfort, and Wilson are too high, Telfort is not even the best OL on his team, Kyron Taylor from south dade is a lot better than Telfort. I also think just talking DB, Bandy is better than Henderson and Brini. Henderson is a better athlete but not a proven DB. Brini is a hot prospect but what happens when he faces a good route runner which forces him to win with his feet. Overall, good list, I agree with majority.

I like the list

We are not talking about what kids do with shorts on.

He means how these kids transfers it with pads on as well

If you never saw dingle play he's a high school game ticket, along with wilder on defense, carol city is a
Must see for the upcoming season

You put a list out and not everyone will come even close to agreeing, but at least you did it. Those knocking the list, put one out and compare at the end of this year.

The only thing I will say is I really, really don't get the Burns hype. I hope he surprises me this year.

Rashad Colson says he'd commit on the spot if offered. What do you guys think of his game? I'm not good at assessing lineman skills

Advertisement
Back