Georgia Tech Post Game Plus/Minus

Advertisement
*turns off TV*
*closes laptop*
*goes outside*

If Golden has done one thing to this program, it's made me not really care anymore. I might just spend an extra three hours every Saturday in Sept-Nov in the coming years playing outside with my kids.

Nick Linder playing LG was definetly a +.
Us keeping Them from scoring 40 a definetely +
Coley getting more touches +
Fentress still playing safety +
Chad Thomas play was a +
Obviously only two of these are legit positives you decide which ones

Thank God for ur last sentence

Canes lose. I lose my wager on Canes at pick-em. Still, it's absolutely breathtaking to watch an option offense perform like that. It reminds me why I've wagered and won so many bets on them over the decades, including this year. Just tragic the simpleton mindset took over college football and the offense was all but phased out. Give a top program that offense and they would still churn out one devastating victory after another, while cleansing the defense along the way. There is tremendous value in high number of rushing attempts.

My lord, every post of yours longs for the days of leather helmet football without the newfangled forward pass.

Yes, teams moving away from the triple option offense was due to a "simpleton mindset" amongst the collective college football coaching community. Had nothing to do with growing ineffectiveness of the triple option offense. It was just the "simpleton mindset" abandoning a brilliant offensive scheme. And yes, for those that cannot tell, I'm being sarcastic.

If the triple option was an effective offensive scheme, it would be used by more teams, especially the top programs as you put it. For a myriad reasons, the triple option was rendered an ineffective offensive system during the 1980-2000s time frame. Plenty of articles discussing this topic if you want to take the time and read about it. But I'm sure you know more than all the other simpletons out there...

One positive was we ran some play action out of center. That had been all but abandoned recently. I think we used it one play against Duke, for a 9 yard sideline gain. Tonight we used it effectively many times when the game was still in the balance.

Immediately after we converted the 4th and 1 in our own territory with the score tied at 14-14, we used a gorgeous 1st down bootleg play action dump off to Walford. It rambled 21 yards. IMO, that's the type of play we should abuse. We lined up in a double tight power formation that Georgia Tech had to respect. They fell for the play fake just like we were tackling their empty fullback so often. Their entire defense slanted right. The play broke wide open. Then on the next play we're back in the shotgun, just like second quarter against Duke. It drove me nuts, even though the next play was successful. James Coley doesn't have enough patience to stick with power plays or play action out of those looks. It burned us later in the drive. Duke Johnson was stopped for no gain on first down when we ran from under center. Now it's almost guaranteed Coley will panic. Sure enough, he's back in the shot gun with a wimpy play fake that fools nobody and Kaaya was intercepted.

Lots of posters here ridicule Georgia Tech's offense but they remain true to themselves and force you to stop it. Too often the Canes stop themselves.

Advertisement
ok5CBDR.gif

Advertisement
Another plus is at least we didn't lose the way USC did. That's my alma mater and one of the worst defeats in school history. Fans were actually leaving the Coliseum assuming the game was won with 3 minutes remaining. Then Sarkisian and the defense managed a series of comedic errors to leave just enough time on the clock for a Hail Mary. Arizona State obliged with a touchdown as time expired. The USC defender waited for the ball to come down to him, even worse than Darrell Fullington on the Hail Flutie play. I would be posting on the USC sites other than it's such a madhouse I decided to let it calm down for a while.

Surprised nobody is putting the 4 and 1 play call as a positive. It was nice to see a play where they give the ball to Duke and power run right at the defense for 5 yards. I'm not a fan of Corley yet but he seems to get a little better every game, a little, but he still has too many complete WTF moments in key situations.

Advertisement
whoever number 6 is should be proud that he got shook by a punter running in a straight line

Advertisement
*turns off TV*
*closes laptop*
*goes outside*

If Golden has done one thing to this program, it's made me not really care anymore. I might just spend an extra three hours every Saturday in Sept-Nov in the coming years playing outside with my kids.

I feel the same way only Shannon started that numbing feeling for me. Golden has just solidified it.

Advertisement
Back