Geno Smith/Sammy Watkins

We only have ourselves to blame for the Miramar boys.

Me and gogeta tried to tell ya'll, recruit the whole **** lot...but we were stuck with the previous recruiting classes trash of Taylor Cook, Cannon Smith, Bobby Drama, and still had Jacory as the "chosen one"...shoulda taken Geno, shoulda take Sted (one of the most ridiculous non-recruitments under the Shannon error), then you woulda got Sticks, and you would have taken D-Chambers along with it, but I ain't even mad...it ain't like we don't have wasted schollies in the first place.

Advertisement
Honest question: I know we have Lewis this year but Who was our last player from Miramar?

More bull**** from the Shalala apologists. I didn't become a Canes fan because of our high graduation rates but because we were kicking people's asses all over the field with the Watkins/petersons/ geno smiths of their time. We are forever locked into mediocrity with the likes of other academic first football schools like Notre Dame.

Da **** are you even talking about? Not a single kid mentioned in this thread was lost due to grades.
. It's all tied together. The university cares more about graduation rates than winning. Subpar coaching hired, subpar facilities, higher academic standards means we can no longer compete. We put out a mediocre product and we lose out on the Watkins/smiths of the world. This all started with the Ali highsmiths and the Dwaybe Bowes. By the way Peterson was borderline. Remember he got flagged by the NCAA clearinghouse. Probably wouldn't have been admitted here.

It's a school, a place of higher of education. Of course the first priority is its academic status, as it should be.

Bull****. Academic status amongst the rest of the student body is one thing. Noone cares how many football players you graduate.

You may care but be prepared then to suck forever and don't ***** and moan at our irrelevance on the football field.

But like I said before. Not all the kids we are denying are bad kids or have a poor work ethic. We are closing the door on some kids that could very well succeed in the right course of study at UM. We are sometimes punishing these kids for a failed public school system and that's something that they cannot control.

Drop admission standards to the NCAA minimum and we win championships. Winning championships brings money to the school. We win championships we also get to be more selective in the type of student athlete we offer or accept and the ends justify the means.

Last edited:
Honest question: I know we have Lewis this year but Who was our last player from Miramar?

We also just got Ryan Williams as well.

Before this recent group of kids...I think the best players were the Julmiste's in the last decade.

Advertisement
Bull****. Academic status amongst the rest of the student body is one thing. Noone cares how many football players you graduate.
Pretty sure ball players already get exceptions regular students don't. You think someone is getting into UM with a core 2.3 gpa (i believe this is what a player needs) if they can't play ball?

You may care but be prepared then to suck forever and don't ***** and moan at our irrelevance on the football field.
I didn't attend UM and don't have a vested interest in it's academic rep. I'm just a life long fan. The only time UM's academic prominence comes in handy for me is when I get shut up a trash talking fan of another team who think UM takes anyone and everyone. As a fan, I have the luxury of not caring if a player can read as long as he performs on the field. The people who run the university, and have a vested interest in it being a top tier academic institute, are not going to feel the same way. UM is a school, it's primary business is education, not football.

But like I said before. Not all the kids we are denying are bad kids or have a poor work ethic. We are closing the door on some kids that could very well succeed in the right course of study at UM. We are sometimes punishing these kids for a failed public school system and that's something that they cannot control.
****** school system or not, It takes very little effort to maintain a core 2.3 gpa.

Drop admission standards to the NCAA minimum and we win championships. Winning championships brings money to the school. We win championships we also get to be more selective in the type of student athlete we accept and the ends justify the means.
RS was quoted several times when he was HC as saying that UM uses the NCAA minimum requirements for grades.

I believe the ACC has higher min academic standards than the NCAA, which we would have to follow. I cannot remember if we set stiffer ones than that. This was as of a few years ago when I took a compliance class at the U.

Nobody wants to play for the Canes anymore. That's usually what a decade of irrelevance will accomplish.

It's going to take a superhuman effort from Golden to get us back on top.

Some think David Thompson is a Geno Smith type recruit. We will see.

With the Miami administration - academics count. To academia, academics are the end-all.

What the administration may not realize is that the University grew significantly once the football team had reached national prominence. It sold ****. Tickets, merchandise, and pieces of the pie for playing in post-season games. Football put a lot of money in the till that was subsequently feeding the school in terms of buildings, lab equipment, and overall growth.

Seems to me that the school could set aside a special schooling process to ensure that recruits with 'needs' could have those needs met. They could be schooled up, maintain their grades, AND play football.

The football program, when successful, brings in money. Direct money, indirect money, and then it also motivates Boosters to kick into the till as well.

One feeds the other. One hand washes the other.

I don't suggest compromising standards. I suggest making provisions to ensure that standards are met by whoever the **** we need.

Advertisement
More bull**** from the Shalala apologists. I didn't become a Canes fan because of our high graduation rates but because we were kicking people's asses all over the field with the Watkins/petersons/ geno smiths of their time. We are forever locked into mediocrity with the likes of other academic first football schools like Notre Dame.

Da **** are you even talking about? Not a single kid mentioned in this thread was lost due to grades.
. It's all tied together. The university cares more about graduation rates than winning. Subpar coaching hired, subpar facilities, higher academic standards means we can no longer compete. We put out a mediocre product and we lose out on the Watkins/smiths of the world. This all started with the Ali highsmiths and the Dwaybe Bowes. By the way Peterson was borderline. Remember he got flagged by the NCAA clearinghouse. Probably wouldn't have been admitted here.

Peterson may have not been able to get in, but we didn't lose him because of that. He was already gone by the time his test score got flagged.

Plenty of other schools can get kids in with just as high academic standards. Sure, we could lower our standards, and it's annoying as **** to see us not be able to get any JUCO kids worth a **** because of some of the rules, but the real problem is Florida public education, which is complete ****. It's an embarrassment how easy it is to get through high school, and these Florida kids still can't manage that.

Bull****. Academic status amongst the rest of the student body is one thing. Noone cares how many football players you graduate. Pretty sure ball players already get exceptions regular students don't. You think someone is getting into UM with a core 2.3 gpa (i believe this is what a player needs) if they can't play ball?

Right and it won;t make one ounce of difference in UM's academic ranking, standing or reputation if those standards were lowered to the NCAA minimum

You may care but be prepared then to suck forever and don't **** and moan at our irrelevance on the football field. I didn't attend UM and don't have a vested interest in it's academic rep. I'm just a life long fan. The only time UM's academic prominence comes in handy for me is when I get shut up a trash talking fan of another team who think UM takes anyone and everyone. As a fan, I have the luxury of not caring if a player can read as long as he performs on the field. The people who run the university, and have a vested interest in it being a top tier academic institute, are not going to feel the same way. UM is a school, it's primary business is education, not football.

UM is a business and so is football. A very lucrative one in fact. It makes no sense to hinder one part of your business that can only positively affect the school as a whole money wise and will not have one iota of impact on its academic reputation. I understand your point. I say that the school's assumptions that student athlete graduation rates have any significant impact on their school's reputation and its approach of raising admission standards to "improve" the quality of student athlete football player are both false. Your statement is a perfect example the average "trash talking fan of another team who thinks Um takes anyone and everyone" still exists.

But like I said before. Not all the kids we are denying are bad kids or have a poor work ethic. We are closing the door on some kids that could very well succeed in the right course of study at UM. We are sometimes punishing these kids for a failed public school system and that's something that they cannot control. ****ty school system or not, It takes very little effort to maintain a core 2.3 gpa.

Its not as easy at it seems when from elementary you've been receiving a poor educational foundation in school environments that do not emphasize its importance, especially when you are raised in the kind of neighborhoods that these kids grow up with and fight the social obstacels they do. Secondly our admission is extremely selective on what courses and so forth. If these kids do not get the proper guidance early on in High School why should they get punished. Finally, to argue the reverse, what's the difference between 2.0 & 2.3 really? Is a student that much harder of a worker?

Drop admission standards to the NCAA minimum and we win championships. Winning championships brings money to the school. We win championships we also get to be more selective in the type of student athlete we accept and the ends justify the means. RS was quoted several times when he was HC as saying that UM uses the NCAA minimum requirements for grades.

Not true. We have much stricter admission standards and we routinely lose kids to schools that allow the NCAA minimum. These standards also aren't just the admission minimum for incoming freshmen but also in regards to transfer credits for JUCO's and Prep kids. Its was said that Randy was allowed a couple of exceptions so I am sure Golden can use that card for a few kids who are borderline but on the whole the ACC has more stringent admission standards than the NCAA minimum and we have higher standards than the ACC minimum(See FSU). .

[/

Last edited:
To answer the OP, never. This isn't anything new, kids have been leaving this state for a decade or more now. The secret is out on Florida talent, everyone recruits down here now. Kids now grow up knowing more than the Big 3. I'll use UF as an example...even during our crazy run with Meyer we lost out on tons of top notch in-state kids to other schools. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

David Thompson is 5'10" and played horrible competition in high school. No doubt a very good athlete, but he is no Geno Smith. Geno is a legit big time QB. He was in high school, he is in college.

Advertisement
The current minimum GPA for eligibility by the NCAA is 2.0 in 16 core corses. There is a proposal to raise the minimum to 2.3.

I think the problem with UM is that they require certain courses not required for NCAA eligibility. I could be wrong about that. Does anyone know for sure?

I knew Geno when he was being recruited. Or should I say, I knew Geno when he wanted so bad to go to Miami but Randy Shannon never even listened to him, even when Geno begged him for an offer at the end of his junior year, but Shannon declined. So then he went to camp over the summer with coach Cogs at WVU, and got his ship. Then, it was over.

Geno begged for a ship? Really? With his skill set. Dude could write his own ticket anywhere. Randy Had visions of a marve j12 led team but marve failed us and j12 won the job by default. Cook and smith were backups only but wanted moar and fled home with ails between their legs.

Advertisement
Not sure what all the Watkins talk is all about, but he visited Clemson early, loved them, and never really gave anyone else a chance, including ALL the in-state schools. I think in any day and age he would have gone to Clemson regardless.

That's what I remember him visiting early and often never looking back. Gave us a whiff when Crawford committed but didn't get past that initial scent. Dude was all tiger from the jump.

Geno begged for a ship? Really? With his skill set. Dude could write his own ticket anywhere. Randy Had visions of a marve j12 led team but marve failed us and j12 won the job by default. Cook and smith were backups only but wanted moar and fled home with ails between their legs.

Yes, he did as a junior. Randy didn't offer him until his senior season but he was all about WV after the start of his junior year. You could tell that kid was going to be special when he was throwing some deep outs off his back foot. He lit up the summer 7-on-7 circuit that year.

Advertisement
Back