General Statistical Rankings after Week 6

Astcloud11

Senior
Premium
A bit different from @OrangeBowlMagic Weekly Team Stats. These are just some interesting stats after most teams have gotten through at least 3 games. This isn't from any articles, just me scanning through rankings at cfbstats.com. Using the vs FBS only, here are some of the standout rankings.​

(#Ranking) Scoring Offense - PPG:
(#3) Clemson - 48.3
(#8) Virginia Tech - 42.0
(#9) SMU - 40.8
-Outside of Clemson, UAB is the highest ranked scoring offense we've faced so far....at #42 out of 77.

Rushing Offense - Per Game:
(#3) Virginia Tech - 312.00
(#8) UNC - 229.75

-UAB(#32) and FSU(#30) are both ranked infront of Clemson(#31) for rushing yards per game. Pitt is #70

-LSU(#71) lol

-Miss. State(Dead Last) has ran for 115 yards combined in their first 4 games. I'll also point out that 87 of their yards was against Arkansas...that means they ran for a total of 27 yards against the other 3. If Miami's season up to this point consisted of 2 games against Clemson, we'd still have more rushing yards than them. Mike Leach loving up the SEC so far.

Passing Offense - Per Game:

-Skipping Clemson(#5), Pitt(#20) was the best passing offense we faced, and of course they didn't have their starting QB. Every other school we've played is ranked worse than us(#42). Mike Leach does have Miss. State at #7 here to make up for the lack of a running game.

LSU is #71 in 3rd down conversion % with 23.08%

Scoring Defense - PPG:
(#8) Clemson - 15
(#10) UAB - 17
(#20) Miami - 23.8
(#22) Pitt - 24.4

-Florida and UCF (tied at #52) are both in front of FSU (#58)

Total Defense - Yards Per Play:
(#5) Clemson - 4.38
(#7) Pitt - 4.54
(#18) UAB - 4.96
(#22) Miami - 5.21

-The top 2 teams are....Big 12 teams??? West Virginia(#1)and Oklahoma State(#2)
-Alabama is #50 even though they are #35 in scoring defense.
-LSU is #72 lol

-Every school except FSU(#64) we played is top 30 in Pass Defense(Yards per Game). UAB is #3. LSU is #76 lol
-Pitt is still #3 in Rushing Defense(Yards per Game). Clemson is #13
-Oklahoma State has held its 3 opponents to a 16.28% third down conversion rate.
-Arkansas leads the league with 10 total interceptions.
-Pitt (29) followed by Clemson(22) leads the league in total sacks. UAB and VT are tied at #9 with 15 sacks, while we have 14 on the season.
-In terms of Penalties, Clemson and Louisville are tied at #29 and everyone else we've played are behind them.

Again, my source for stats/rankings is cfbstats.com and are against FBS only.

Advertisement
These are interesting. So we've played 3 teams with Top 20 defenses. 2 wins, 1 big loss. UAB is underrated still. This could account for some of the offensive struggles. A lot has to do with our personnel but we gotta get back to playing like it's FSU every week.

Advertisement
UNC and VT will both test our defense with Tech being our toughest remaining opponent given that it's in Blacksburg. Louisville is a better offensive team than their rankings would suggest, but they still moved the ball on us almost at will in the second half. We need to improve on both sides of the ball if we want to win out but I'm most concerned with the defense, I think that #20 scoring D ranking is misleading. Still, it should be good enough to hold most of our remaining opponents under 30 and very few (if any) of the upcoming defenses we face scare me.

These are interesting. So we've played 3 teams with Top 20 defenses. 2 wins, 1 big loss. UAB is underrated still. This could account for some of the offensive struggles. A lot has to do with our personnel but we gotta get back to playing like it's FSU every week.

And conversely our D could look better than it actually is as most of the offenses we have played are not particularly good.

A bit different from @OrangeBowlMagic Weekly Team Stats. These are just some interesting stats after most teams have gotten through at least 3 games. This isn't from any articles, just me scanning through rankings at cfbstats.com. Using the vs FBS only, here are some of the standout rankings.​

(#Ranking) Scoring Offense - PPG:
(#3) Clemson - 48.3
(#8) Virginia Tech - 42.0
(#9) SMU - 40.8
-Outside of Clemson, UAB is the highest ranked scoring offense we've faced so far....at #42 out of 77.

Rushing Offense - Per Game:
(#3) Virginia Tech - 312.00
(#8) UNC - 229.75

-UAB(#32) and FSU(#30) are both ranked infront of Clemson(#31) for rushing yards per game. Pitt is #70

-LSU(#71) lol

-Miss. State(Dead Last) has ran for 115 yards combined in their first 4 games. I'll also point out that 87 of their yards was against Arkansas...that means they ran for a total of 27 yards against the other 3. If Miami's season up to this point consisted of 2 games against Clemson, we'd still have more rushing yards than them. Mike Leach loving up the SEC so far.

Passing Offense - Per Game:

-Skipping Clemson(#5), Pitt(#20) was the best passing offense we faced, and of course they didn't have their starting QB. Every other school we've played is ranked worse than us(#42). Mike Leach does have Miss. State at #7 here to make up for the lack of a running game.

LSU is #71 in 3rd down conversion % with 23.08%

Scoring Defense - PPG:
(#8) Clemson - 15
(#10) UAB - 17
(#20) Miami - 23.8
(#22) Pitt - 24.4

-Florida and UCF (tied at #52) are both in front of FSU (#58)

Total Defense - Yards Per Play:
(#5) Clemson - 4.38
(#7) Pitt - 4.54
(#18) UAB - 4.96
(#22) Miami - 5.21

-The top 2 teams are....Big 12 teams??? West Virginia(#1)and Oklahoma State(#2)
-Alabama is #50 even though they are #35 in scoring defense.
-LSU is #72 lol

-Every school except FSU(#64) we played is top 30 in Pass Defense(Yards per Game). UAB is #3. LSU is #76 lol
-Pitt is still #3 in Rushing Defense(Yards per Game). Clemson is #13
-Oklahoma State has held its 3 opponents to a 16.28% third down conversion rate.
-Arkansas leads the league with 10 total interceptions.
-Pitt (29) followed by Clemson(22) leads the league in total sacks. UAB and VT are tied at #9 with 15 sacks, while we have 14 on the season.
-In terms of Penalties, Clemson and Louisville are tied at #29 and everyone else we've played are behind them.

Again, my source for stats/rankings is cfbstats.com and are against FBS only.

In 54 games with Diaz as DC or HC, the defense has given up more than 31 points 8 times.

2016 - #16 VT
2017- #1 Clemson, #6 Wisconsin
2018- #6 LSU, #9 Wisconsin
2019- VT
2020- Louisville, #1 Clemson

Advertisement
Back