Gattis' offense - Plays/Game in 2022-23

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Interested to see what we decide on pace of play. The "forming a TEAM identity of physicality by running the ball on offense"-type comments don't necessarily mean slower pace of play, but it might.

Gattis' Michigan team (yes, yes, without a QB) last year averaged 70.3 plays/game, which was a significant jump up from 65.5 the year before (2020). This was good for 65th in the NCAA.

Cristobal's Oregon team (yes, he's not the OC) last year averaged 69 plays/game, which was a significant jump up from 62.7 the year before (2020). This was good for 78th in the NCAA.

Under Lashlee (yes, 88.54% of 1st downs were IZ runs) in 2021, Miami averaged 75.6 plays/game, which was about the same as the year before (2020). This was good for 24th in the NCAA.

Any guesses for Gattis' Miami offense in 2022-23? I'd guess we're at about 70 plays and ranked in the high 50s or low 60s.

Advertisement
Interested to see what we decide on pace of play. The "forming a TEAM identity of physicality by running the ball on offense"-type comments don't necessarily mean slower pace of play, but it might.

Gattis' Michigan team (yes, yes, without a QB) last year averaged 70.3 plays/game, which was a significant jump up from 65.5 the year before (2020). This was good for 65th in the NCAA.

Cristobal's Oregon team (yes, he's not the OC) last year averaged 69 plays/game, which was a significant jump up from 62.7 the year before (2020). This was good for 78th in the NCAA.

Under Lashlee (yes, 88.54% of 1st downs were IZ runs) in 2021, Miami averaged 75.6 plays/game, which was about the same as the year before (2020). This was good for 24th in the NCAA.

Any guesses for Gattis' Miami offense in 2022-23? I'd guess we're at about 70 plays and ranked in the high 50s or low 60s.

Yeah, I say we are in between the 68-72 plays/g range which would be high 50’s to mid 60’s.

Higher than Michigan but lower than Miami. Sounds like a cop out but we have better offensive athletes than Michigan had so I expect a few more plays. But I don’t think we will run at break neck speed for the sake of doing it like last year.
I am going with 72 plays per game.

I think the pass/run ratio will be slightly higher than Michigan, so a little less clock running, and a few more plays/game (+2-3) as a result compared to Michigan..

Advertisement

Great topic I think we will be fairly similar in that 75 range. I really wonder what the offense will look like overall, Gattis being a Moorhead disciple, who got his shot in bama but when in Mich they bought in that Ravens element also. You have Cristobal who had Moorhead as OC, Kevin Smith who was under Kiffin for last 5 years and they have had a great run game majority of time. Ponce was calling his plays and he is in that satterfield offensive system..

I hear them talking about more play action, so guessing outside zone, and based on the little drill work we see from practice, rollouts and boots off that. Outside zone with Gap scheme to counter is TOOOOUGH on a defense and fun to watch.. Top offenses in NFL run that type of stuff and obviously been the rage, Sean McVay got the whole NFL tryna hire his staff and what do you know Mario had him in town also in offseason for coaching camp, just makes you wonder. Wonder if they ever made it to dolphins camp to check with Mike McDaniels off the Shanahan coaching tree, hmm..

Probably wayyy overthinking these simple college offenses but still we have a brilliant offensive mastermind of a offensive coaching staff. Wonder what our identity will be, I know we want to run the ball, be tough, physical, yada yada.. But howwww, in due time.. When we are stuck with Susan asking if you have pets in limited post practice questions, shouldnt expect much..

My guess is slower than Lashlee but faster than Oregon. 70ish ppg

Advertisement
I don't care how many plays we run, only that we execute them. Manny defense was garbage but they had to go back out there quick alot of times and that didn't help at all. I hope we are somewhere in between and we are efficient. Also I would prefer big plays and less plays.

Advertisement
Not to hijack but the most intriguing kid I want to see in this offense is Breshard Smith.

Hands down.

I think that kid could explode in this type of offense.

he's 'the Weapon'', a guy you earmark 10 touches a game somehow, someway, creating mismatches and special package for him

Advertisement
I mean, if we have more safe leads compared to last year and run the ball better, the number will drop automatically. Take a good defense into account and the number probably drops below 70.

I think some of it will come down to the confidence the staff has in the unit and also the offenses ability to execute and eliminate stupid penalties.

I personally hope we can be somewhere between 75-78 plays per game.

Time of possession and number of plays run also dependent on defensive stops and forced turnovers, too. We will be north of 70 because our defense is giing to be much better.

The only reason I’d be cool with <70 plays per game is if we’re blowing out so many teams that we end up purposely draining the clock in the second halves of games.

I don’t think that’s going to be the case so I’m hoping for70-75 plays per game.

It’s not only pace that determines how many plays you run. Teams that don’t have a ton of explosive plays but still run no huddle tend to run more plays than a team operating at the same speed but with more big plays. If you’re ripping off 20 yard passes, you’ll run fewer plays than a team who’s getting 4 or 5 yards at a time.

Advertisement
Back