Gap Assignments

dukemv

Sophomore
Joined
Dec 19, 2017
Messages
1,192
Not an Xs and Os guy, but curious if anyone has any input.

Notice that our defenders shoot a gap aggressively, sometimes guessing wrong. Leaves huge gaps. See attached pictures

It seems that sometimes they will eat up blockers by shooting said gap, and a defender at the second level will be left free to make the play. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't

Anyone have any input on this? Is aggressively shooting gaps to eat up blockers by design? Or just overly aggressive play by second level defenders that should be reined in? Or just part of the game?

This + Clemson QB mobility+ missed tackles on the perimeter gives me some hesitation about tomorrow.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3618.png
    IMG_3618.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3619.png
    IMG_3619.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3620.png
    IMG_3620.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3617.png
    IMG_3617.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Not an Xs and Os guy, but curious if anyone has any input.

Notice that our defenders shoot a gap aggressively, sometimes guessing wrong. Leaves huge gaps. See attached pictures

It seems that sometimes they will eat up blockers by shooting said gap, and a defender at the second level will be left free to make the play. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't

Anyone have any input on this? Is aggressively shooting gaps to eat up blockers by design? Or just overly aggressive play by second level defenders that should be reined in? Or just part of the game?

This + Clemson QB mobility+ missed tackles on the perimeter gives me some hesitation about tomorrow.
I only see one picture, but I don’t think I need pics to say that Hetherman likes to run blitz a lot. He disguises it and uses a variety of looks along the DL as part of that. The Nickel is oftentimes the blitzer, but definitely not always. So when you say “sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t,” you’re more correct than you might think. Without seeing more pics, I can’t get anymore technical.

Also, I’m not as dialed in on this as some others on this board are. I can recognize run fits (gap assignments), disguises, blitzes and some of the coverage behind it all, but I stink at the terminology used today. I guess that’s part of being old.
 
Thanks for that

I uploaded the additional pictures from the play

Can't help but imagine if MLB went straight ahead, this play only goes for a few yards. Instead there's a huge gap in the middle and the run goes for 10+
 
Back
Top