Gameday traditions

Advertisement
No longer live in SoFla, so unfortunately my gamedays no longer involve tailgating and going to the game. But I've definitely got some traditions/superstitions...

First, as soon as I wake up, my daughter and I set up The Shrine while playing the Miami fight song and nowadays the Turnover Chain song. The Shrine is all my favorite U memorabilia that we set up around the TV. 2000 team signed ball, 2001 team signed mini helmet, EJ ball, Orange Bowl seat, 3D light up Orange Bowl, several turnover chains, some pom poms from the 2001 championship game, and a whole bunch of other U related items. The end result is glorious.

We put the big U flag out in the front of the house and car flags go up too (one U flag and two hurricane warning squares) if not already up earlier in the week.

I have three gameday jerseys. I always start in my white Duke Johnson. If we cruise, it stays on. When we need a change of pace and a defensive stand, I switch out to the green Sean Spence. At dire times, and only at dire times, I throw on my orange Ed Reed. I put that bad boy on about 2 mins before Redwine lit up Frenchie on Saturday. The sh-t works, I'm tellin ya! I'm so weird about my jerseys I even brought them to the VaTech game I went to at the Hard Rock last year and was changing them out in the stands early on. People around me thought I was a f'ing madman.

Used to have a whole routine with drinks as well (not a set amount or type of drinks, but made sure I was properly lit by kickoff and hype as ****), but I gave up booze about 3 weeks ago so this is no more.

I ONLY watch the games at home and I stand the entire time. I can't have friends over, it's too intense for me. My wife and daughter watch too, though when distractions form they are tasked with dealing them so they usually don't lock in for all 4 quarters like I do. Lastly, and this is weird, I have formed an odd quirk the last few years of touching a few of pieces of The Shrine in a certain pattern when a big moment is happening. I'm not an OCD kind of guy in life at all, so it's bizarre I do that. But I absolutely do, and again, the sh-it works!

You folks are probably the only people I would admit this all to. LOL

LOVE MY CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and the other 'tradition'... I am a really sh-tty person to be around when we lose. It affects me for days.

Awesome. My son does the same thing. Brings out all of his UM helmets, footballs, stuffed animals, flags, etc. and positions them all around the t.v. prior to the game. We both wear our jerseys.

No longer live in SoFla, so unfortunately my gamedays no longer involve tailgating and going to the game. But I've definitely got some traditions/superstitions...

First, as soon as I wake up, my daughter and I set up The Shrine while playing the Miami fight song and nowadays the Turnover Chain song. The Shrine is all my favorite U memorabilia that we set up around the TV. 2000 team signed ball, 2001 team signed mini helmet, EJ ball, Orange Bowl seat, 3D light up Orange Bowl, several turnover chains, some pom poms from the 2001 championship game, and a whole bunch of other U related items. The end result is glorious.

We put the big U flag out in the front of the house and car flags go up too (one U flag and two hurricane warning squares) if not already up earlier in the week.

I have three gameday jerseys. I always start in my white Duke Johnson. If we cruise, it stays on. When we need a change of pace and a defensive stand, I switch out to the green Sean Spence. At dire times, and only at dire times, I throw on my orange Ed Reed. I put that bad boy on about 2 mins before Redwine lit up Frenchie on Saturday. The sh-t works, I'm tellin ya! I'm so weird about my jerseys I even brought them to the VaTech game I went to at the Hard Rock last year and was changing them out in the stands early on. People around me thought I was a f'ing madman.

Used to have a whole routine with drinks as well (not a set amount or type of drinks, but made sure I was properly lit by kickoff and hype as ****), but I gave up booze about 3 weeks ago so this is no more.

I ONLY watch the games at home and I stand the entire time. I can't have friends over, it's too intense for me. My wife and daughter watch too, though when distractions form they are tasked with dealing them so they usually don't lock in for all 4 quarters like I do. Lastly, and this is weird, I have formed an odd quirk the last few years of touching a few of pieces of The Shrine in a certain pattern when a big moment is happening. I'm not an OCD kind of guy in life at all, so it's bizarre I do that. But I absolutely do, and again, the sh-it works!

You folks are probably the only people I would admit this all to. LOL

LOVE MY CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and the other 'tradition'... I am a really sh-tty person to be around when we lose. It affects me for days.
you're a crazy person... i like it

Advertisement
i've been more superstitious over the last year or so. Before that, I was a lot more willing to go out and watch with other people etc. However, there is one place that I will NEVER go to for a game, which is the hooters by my house. Every time I've been there, the team I wanted to win lost. Last time I went was 2016 FSU game. It's a shame too because they have really well calibrated LG LED tvs, best out of the sports bars in my area

No standard routine but I have changed jerseys shirts, sat in a different seat, not sit at all when we dont play well

When I stand to the left of the screen with one particular Nike canes shirt we do well

Advertisement
Drinking a **** ton before the game, and shooting a Peter North esque load on the wife's face and **** after a win.

What was your drink routine?
Not really a "routine" but drinking was always integral to a game day. Would start early with bloodies or mamosas or vodka tonics with Rose's. If wasn't making a certain ****tail for the game/food later in the day like fresh made margs or something, I'd usually drink bourbon or beer during the game. And then always over the last few years I would fire up the engines to 6th gear with fireball shots about an hour before kickoff and more if things went south. Needless to say, I drank way too much on game days! :-/ Heck, I drank way too much in general. Will be a month sans booze this weekend. Feels **** good, I must say.

Awesome. My son does the same thing. Brings out all of his UM helmets, footballs, stuffed animals, flags, etc. and positions them all around the t.v. prior to the game. We both wear our jerseys.
Awesome! Great minds think alike :)

Get my ottoman out, kick back, turn on PS3 and NCAA11 with edited 2001-2002 rosters in place, and throw on usually two games at a time. Since I went to UW-Madison and am now at UAB, I try to watch those. The U game always takes precedence and is center stage though.

Advertisement
Not really a "routine" but drinking was always integral to a game day. Would start early with bloodies or mamosas or vodka tonics with Rose's. If wasn't making a certain ****tail for the game/food later in the day like fresh made margs or something, I'd usually drink bourbon or beer during the game. And then always over the last few years I would fire up the engines to 6th gear with fireball shots about an hour before kickoff and more if things went south. Needless to say, I drank way too much on game days! :-/ Heck, I drank way too much in general. Will be a month sans booze this weekend. Feels **** good, I must say.

Congrats bro. Good luck on your journey on the wagon.

I wear my Kelly Strong shirt before the game or before I head to the stadium

Advertisement
Can't drink a beer until after the Canes score a TD. Not me or anyone else watching with me. Only exception is if we tailgate. Used to have a beer after every touchdown but ......

Advertisement
Back