Game Day

canesfan4508

Recruit
How is it opening day and i don't feel any optimism on here or twitter. Cant wait to get home at 7 and turn the game on!!!

Advertisement
5 frosh in the batting order, including the entire starting infield. Lots of talent, but hard to set expectations too high with that many freshmen in primary roles. I'm excited about the potential though. Hopefully the starting pitching is consistent.

I was there. Double play combo of Zamora and Escala looks real good. Reyes hit a bomb to left center and a rope double to right. Frosh pitcher Federman looked pretty good too.

Advertisement
I was there. Double play combo of Zamora and Escala looks real good. Reyes hit a bomb to left center and a rope double to right. Frosh pitcher Federman looked pretty good too.

What is Federman showing in terms of velocity?

Watched most of the game on ESPN3, and was most impressed w the two middle infielders, much better job of manufacturing runs, hitters going the opposite way and the conditioning of Mediavilla in the offseason. And while it's only Rutgers, it looks like the ball jumps off of Reyes' bat.

We've had some projects in the infield the past few years but this last recruiting class looks like it may have solved that. If the pitching is as good as advertised, this club has some potential if they develop quickly on offense.

Hopefully this is a group that learns to win together this year to make a strong couple of runs in 2019-20.

Advertisement
I've been talking about the jump in talent that this recruiting class has brought in. The biggest strength of the whole team is the bullpen as well, so we should be able to handle several close games and wear opponents out. Reyes needs to stay healthy in the lineup because he is the key to it all.

What was most encouraging to me was the approach at the plate. The hitters were really working the count, watching breaking ball in the dirt and spinning off the outside corner, rather than flailing away or making weak contact.

The talent level of this team compared to last year's is on another level. Last year I called the team the worst of my lifetime and called for them to miss the tournament. They'll make the tournament this year, but the track record of freshmen in college baseball is really rough, so next year is most likely the year you will see the jump in overall offense.

This year's team is so much more fun to watch with the youth, talent, and athleticism. The arms are exciting as well.

Advertisement
Veliz has been brutal tonight and it is only the 2nd inning. He won't be starting too many more if he doesnt have any idea where the ball is going.

Hopefully he throws a clean inning or two now that we're up comfortably. Can't let Rutgers claw back into the game, and also want Veliz to get a little confidence and feel like he found his rhythm.

1st Cane to have his first hit be a homer since Zack Collins and before that it was Yonder Alonso.

Good company. I was just looking at the roster and he's listed at 6'2 and 220, which isn't much bigger than anyone else in the lineup. But he just looks imposing in the batters box. Abreu and Collins were the last two guys we had who LOOKED like a threat in there.

Advertisement
I've been talking about the jump in talent that this recruiting class has brought in. The biggest strength of the whole team is the bullpen as well, so we should be able to handle several close games and wear opponents out. Reyes needs to stay healthy in the lineup because he is the key to it all.

What was most encouraging to me was the approach at the plate. The hitters were really working the count, watching breaking ball in the dirt and spinning off the outside corner, rather than flailing away or making weak contact.

The talent level of this team compared to last year's is on another level. Last year I called the team the worst of my lifetime and called for them to miss the tournament. They'll make the tournament this year, but the track record of freshmen in college baseball is really rough, so next year is most likely the year you will see the jump in overall offense.

This year's team is so much more fun to watch with the youth, talent, and athleticism. The arms are exciting as well.

Agreed. The talent level looks so much more improved from last year. There will likely be some ups and downs with that many freshmen starting, but yeah, this year's team should definitely be much more fun to watch.

Advertisement
Back