Gage batten?

You guys remember that time Al Pyrite put in that backup FB last year and immediately fumbled the ball vs Louisville?!

Advertisement
"I wouldn't say the talent here is any different than it was at Auburn"

[video=youtube;qqmjXZNeQ7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqmjXZNeQ7Q[/video]

"I wouldn't say the talent here is any different than it was at Auburn, but the coaching staff is"

Finished the quote for you, since you left out the last part.

"I wouldn't say the talent here is any different than it was at Auburn, but the coaching staff is"

Finished the quote for you, since you left out the last part.

You forgot to mention you made up, "but the coaching staff is."

I also liked his real quote in the Post.

"This team is really special. It reminds me a lot of the team I played on two years ago that went to the national championship. Just the togetherness of the team and how they're approaching practice every day. It's special and I'm excited."

Advertisement
Hard to believe Gage Clampett can start as a walk on.

Guy was Palm Beach Defensive Player of the year and First Team All State.
Got hurt his senior year in high school, so his recruiting dried up.
Went to Auburn as a preferred walk on and was a backup H Back on that Auburn team that went to the National Championship game against FSU.
Hurt his knee his redshirt sophomore season, and graduated in 3 years.

Smart kid. Wanted to come to Miami for a while. This has been in the works for a little bit. Very nice kid.

Advertisement
You know why this guy is starting right? Did you watch the interview? He dropped the following:

- "Trust the process" (one of the first things he said)
- "Ignore the noise" (towards the end of the interview)

He's like a mini-me of Golden and he's been here how many months?

By the way, he also referenced how he grew up a Canes fan and used to play in the Orange Bowl. This is a big problem. None of the kids these days get that. I doubt in 10 years you'll hear "I grew up a Canes fan, I used to play in Sun Life"

Best of luck to the kid. With Gus going down, we will need as much power in the backfield we can get.

Gage 'Clampett' as you refer to him was COACHING when James C first talked to him. He could run circles around a lot of people in the X&O game. Stay tuned....it's all about the blocking schemes. :neonu:

Advertisement
A less athletic Ronnie Regula. Great idea by Folden to add another OLineman-level athlete to the field instead of taking advantage of S Florida speed and putting more playmakers on the field.

Who would you rather game plan against? Gage Batten or a fast WR?

not sure if it was for personal reasons, but the way he said "I had to leave Auburn" comes across as he was shown the door

Advertisement
Starting fullback... Never heard of him

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- Gage Batten has been in the games that the Miami Hurricanes want to play. He has a conference championship ring. He's played for a national championship.

So when he arrived in Coral Gables, earning credibility didn't take long. Neither did earning a starting job. A former Auburn walk-on whose career was thought by some to be over when he shredded his right knee a year ago, Batten is now a fullback for a Miami team that opens its season Saturday against Bethune-Cookman. Batten is a South Florida native, a lifelong Hurricane fan and someone who often thought about having the chance to play for the school.

"I'm from Palm Beach Gardens, right up the road," Batten said. "I played little league games at the Orange Bowl. I used to go to the Orange Bowl all the time. So to start at the University of Miami, this is just a true blessing. It's a dream come true."

Batten left Auburn for personal and family reasons and returned home, where he started what seemed like life after football this past spring. He started coaching at Dwyer High, his alma mater and a school that has sent plenty of talent to big-time college programs in recent years. The Hurricanes caught up with him there on a recruiting visit, and from there the chance to become a walk-on at Miami was born.

"Just a great story," Miami coach Al Golden said. "Very fortunate to have him here. He really gives us tremendous fabric in our locker room, just great DNA."
Batten is penciled in as a starter on many Miami special-teams units as well. He will also be eligible in 2016, and plans to remain a Hurricane. "He gives us a sense of calmness and poise in the locker room," Golden said. "He has a perspective that not many have."

Batten has seen plenty in his college career. He went to Auburn as a linebacker, was converted to H-back as a redshirt freshman in 2013 and played sparingly for the Tigers in that Southeastern Conference championship season -- but did get on the field in their national-title game loss to Florida State. Then came the knee injury last fall, and after that came reasons to head home.

He has his degree, so did not have to sit out another year upon arriving at Miami like most transfers would under NCAA rules. "He's really smart, he's kind of talked to me a couple times about some of the stuff that he likes in this offense, he's been a great guy," Miami backup quarterback Malik Rosier said. "He's so smart at football. There's been questions that even quarterbacks have had and Gage can answer them." So in a sense, Batten is still doing what he was doing when he was an assistant at the high school level a few months ago -- mentoring younger players.

"I don't feel like I'm coaching," Batten said. "I feel like I'm being a great teammate and that's what it takes to win."

CLzq1gjWUAAgSie.jpg

he looks like viking

HAHAHAHA!!!

An interesting name among the walk-ons is Gage Batten, who played at Dwyer High (and King’s Academy) and was the Post’s All-Area Defensive Player of the Year in 2012. Batten (6-0, 242)

How does an All-Area Defensive player from Dwyer end up a Walk on at Auburn? Interesting pickup.

Advertisement
Back