G League Happenings!

hotshot

Sophomore
From an ESPN article today. Welcome news IMO.

"In a move that could challenge the NCAA's monopoly on elite talent, the NBA's G League is creating a new venture as an alternative to the one-and-done route for the best American basketball prospects, it was announced Thursday.

As part of a newly formed professional path starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft.

The G League will target recent or would-be high school graduates who otherwise would have likely spent just one season playing college basketball, enticing them not only with a six-figure salary but also the opportunity to benefit from NBA infrastructure, as well as a bevy of off-court development programs "geared toward facilitating and accelerating their transition to the pro game," league president Malcolm Turner told ESPN.

Without the restrictions of the NCAA's amateurism rules, players will also be free to hire agents, profit off their likenesses and pursue marketing deals from sneaker companies and the like, which could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in endorsement opportunities to top prospects."

Advertisement
Its a step in the right direction. If I remember correctly they will be getting rid of the 1 year out of high school rule in the draft in a few seasons too.

I bolded that paragraph's type, not the writer. Isn't the only thing really different, the $125K? Even before this, couldn't HS kids could go straight to the G League (for chicken feed $$)? Whether that is enough money, and how the NBA will determine who is an "elite prospect" (i.e., eligible to get the $125K) will be interesting to see.

I think if would be a domino effect. If one or two top kids go that route, others will follow.

Advertisement
Someone made the point that without one and done, no one in the general populace will know who these guys are when they "arrive" in the NBA. Marvin Bagley, e.g., was a name because of his one year at Duke. Would he have been after a year in the G League, which no one attends the games or follows?

Everybody knew who Kobe and LeBron were.
Exactly. Add tmac, al Harrington, KG, Dwight Howard and social media was not as prominent as it is now. People even knew who the one and dones were before the went to college. John Wall, KD, KAT, Blake, Booker, Porter, and Zion Williamson. Nobody knew who Ben Simmons was because of his time at lsu

Advertisement
they actually learn how to play basketball in college. g league is basically the rucker park league.

they actually learn how to play basketball in college. g league is basically the rucker park league.
Would Lonnie have impressed more in the G League where he could "throw down" half a dozen times a game, or in UM's halfcourt offense featuring no fast breaks. ****, DeQuan Jones might've been a first rounder if he had gone to the G League rather than mark time at UM in an offense not particularly suited to his "athleticism." I didn't detect much growth in basketball skills from DQJ while here.

Would Lonnie have impressed more in the G League where he could "throw down" half a dozen times a game, or in UM's halfcourt offense featuring no fast breaks. ****, DeQuan Jones might've been a first rounder if he had gone to the G League rather than mark time at UM in an offense not particularly suited to his "athleticism." I didn't detect much growth in basketball skills from DQJ while here.
the g league is not a real minor league at this point. the league doesnt focus on defense or sound basketball. its improved but not there yet.

Advertisement
You would have to be an idiot to do this if you’re a top prospect. Nobody is choosing that route unless they get horrible advice.

They may have to double the money to $250K. But, Laz, think you are underestimating the number of kids for whom academics is a real "problem" (first, getting into school and, then, posing a drag on their game to stay eligible or not be suspended for missing classes).

Advertisement
Back