FWIW ESPN report on Ryan Williams

Tim

Recruit
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-hurricanes-qb-ryan-williams-surgery-torn-acl

Miami quarterback Ryan Williams, the leading candidate to start for the Hurricanes this fall, had surgery for a torn right ACL on Wednesday that "could not have gone better," his mother told The Miami Herald.

Williams' injury occurred Friday night during a noncontact drill in the second scrimmage of the spring. There still is no timetable for his return, although Jayne Williams told the Herald that the fifth-year senior expects to play in 2014 -- "he wants to play at Nebraska" and "finish his football career with his best friends and teammates."

Miami visits Nebraska on Sept. 20.

Advertisement
Yeah, but he is a quarterback. Not necessarily a whole lot of suddenness or change of direction required to perform at a high level.

Everybody says that all Olsen is missing is the experience.
Toretta said recently that Olsen has all the tools, just needs the reps to make the reads and rapport second nature.

What we all forget about RW is that he needs all the reps he can get.
It's not like the guy is a 4 year starter.
He's never started for us and has only played in mop up duty.

Ok, he started as a freshman at Memphis.
Mind as well have been a million years ago. Miami is not Memphis. His experience as a freshman has no bearing on him being ready 4 years of inactivity later.

Him missing these Spring reps and all of the fall practice reps, pretty much guarantees Olsen, who will get every rep he can handle, will be our leader this year.

Advertisement
Its kevins team now..but a healthy Ryan sitting on that sideline going into Oct & Nov would make me feel a lot better

6 months for an ACL tear? Highly unlikely.

I really wonder who's feeding them this BS. And this guy had some form of cartilage damage as well.

It's probably already known but Adrian Peterson is on and has been on "cell tech" for awhile now. Probably also why he came back so quickly.

I really wonder who's feeding them this BS. And this guy had some form of cartilage damage as well.

It's probably already known but Adrian Peterson is on and has been on "cell tech" for awhile now. Probably also why he came back so quickly.

You can't compare pro athletes' rehabs to college players.

Pro's have nothing to do but rehab. Their paycheck depends upon them getting back as fast and as strong as possible.

College players can't rehab all day long. They have to go to class, and hopefully study.
Williams is in grad school, and even grad school in the education department is difficult.
Night and day from undergraduate.

You actually have to study in grad school. I studied Medieval History and Philosophy and The reading list for each of my grad classes was a minimum of 50 books per each class.

I blew my knee out as an undergrad in 1995, and it took a year before I was physically and mentally able to rejoin my collegiate team.

The 90's were the Stone Age compared to nowadays when it comes to rehab, but I just don't see it, unless he devotes his whole day for 6 months to rehabbing the knee and the muscles.

Advertisement
well, you gotta figure that for two-three months of the rehab being summer he will have all the time in the world to rehab. But all in all you wont know until they start to practice in the fall, Can he drop back? Can he move in the pocket? I personally think that the players want RW, I think the players wanted SM and that is the #1 reason our staff continues to stick with the senior qb's.

Pro's have nothing to do but rehab. Their paycheck depends upon them getting back as fast and as strong as possible.

College players can't rehab all day long. They have to go to class, and hopefully study.
Williams is in grad school, and even grad school in the education department is difficult.

You actually have to study in grad school. I studied Medieval History and Philosophy and The reading list for each of my grad classes was a minimum of 50 books per each class.

I blew my knee out as an undergrad in 1995, and it took a year before I was physically and mentally able to rejoin my collegiate team.

The 90's were the Stone Age compared to nowadays when it comes to rehab, but I just don't see it, unless he devotes his whole day for 6 months to rehabbing the knee and the muscles.

Medieval History and Philosophy now that is the good old days. Last global warming period, pikes, crossbows, longbows, real old school stuff. Let's hope Williams doe make it back, but if he plays it means Olsen and even Kaaya don't have the goods. Still it would be nice having him around.

Advertisement

Dude your last sentence nailed it. "The 90s were the Stone Age compared to nowadays..." I tore my ACL and meniscus in Oct, had surgery in late Nov, and according to my doctor i can go back to running and playing contact sports again in May, 6 months. NOW this is with a worse tear, my doctor had to remove some meniscus, AND not being able to start rehab for a month due to tearing my meniscus.....AND not being in a Division I football rehab program. I personally know a girl who tore only her ACL after me and is already cleared to start running.
My point is he has a less severe knee injury, and getting some of the best medical care and rehab in the country playing at UM. If he is mentally tough and really sticks to his rehab he might be able to come back by than. Its all up to him and how he approaches rehab.

Lol snickers part 2 you guys cried all year about how garbage he was but a guy with half his talent and a bum knee and you actually want him back there im threw bol

Advertisement
Give me a 7-5 season w/ the young guy (Olsen or Kaaya) to be better off for the future versus Williams w/ a 8-4/9-3 max record while being runner up in the Coastal.

Advertisement
Back