Off-Topic Fusion Power Breakthrough??

Advertisement
Anyone else seeing this??

IF accurate, and a HUGE IF, this could be a day equivalent to mankind figuring out the wheel.
Please tell me this is his real name.

Of the ground-breaking experiment, Omar Hurricane - chief scientist for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s inertial confinement fusion program - said: “The record shot was a major scientific advance in fusion research, which establishes that fusion ignition in the lab is possible at NIF.”

Please tell me this is his real name.

Of the ground-breaking experiment, Omar Hurricane - chief scientist for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s inertial confinement fusion program - said: “The record shot was a major scientific advance in fusion research, which establishes that fusion ignition in the lab is possible at NIF.”
He appears to be purdy smurt.

Advertisement
The Geopolitical ramifications from Nuclear Fusion finally being achievable is staggering & will show the hands of people who are the decision makers within World Governments as to whether they are genuinely a force for Good or Evil.

Reaching Ignition is a major step forward, having the propensity to produce energy from simple Hydrogen & Helium is MONUMENTAL! It’s essentially like discovering Alchemical transmutation, except on a thermonuclear level that will basically allow for you to power an mass-energy grid that could sustain an entire civilization for the next millennia.

This also has implications that can significantly impact Space travel as well...

I'll ask my brother about this. He will receive his doctor for his work in nano technology and he is far more qualified to speak on this.

The devil is in the details.

I’ll get excited when they can solve the problem of the tremendous amount of energy that has to be input to create two single atoms fusing.

One day, the world might be powered by nuclear fusion, maybe, but it won’t be in our lifetime.

The devil is in the details.

I’ll get excited when they can solve the problem of the tremendous amount of energy that has to be input to create two single atoms fusing.

One day, the world might be powered by nuclear fusion, maybe, but it won’t be in our lifetime.
To that end it will likely be never then... unfortunately. We're shutting down carbon-based energy to appease global elites and their simps... only to pimp solar/wind which laughably accounts for a whopping 1.5% of global energy use.

As a species - we've literally become to ignorant to survive at our current state (the goal)... massive death and famine are in our future if we don't change our ways, to that effect some extraordinary famine and death are already baked in the cake. How bad will we let it get?

Advertisement
To that end it will likely be never then... unfortunately. We're shutting down carbon-based energy to appease global elites and their simps... only to pimp solar/wind which laughably accounts for a whopping 1.5% of global energy use.

As a species - we've literally become to ignorant to survive at our current state (the goal)... massive death and famine are in our future if we don't change our ways, to that effect some extraordinary famine and death are already baked in the cake. How bad will we let it get?
IF science ever pulls this off economically, it will be a true transformation of society. Energy sources will, over a period of time, become basically as plentiful as the air we breathe.

I believe the next "moonshot" (already being worked in parrallel) is storage. Imagine the possibilities for all if we have abundant energy AND it can be stored/transported/used in meaningful amounts in a form factor the size of a backpack or smart phone.

Now, above needs to take root on its own and through natural market forces.

The geoplotical ramifications are MASSIVE...good and bad.

IF science ever pulls this off economically, it will be a true transformation of society. Energy sources will, over a period of time, become basically as plentiful as the air we breathe.

I believe the next "moonshot" (already being worked in parrallel) is storage. Imagine the possibilities for all if we have abundant energy AND it can be stored/transported/used in meaningful amounts in a form factor the size of a backpack or smart phone.

Now, above needs to take root on its own and through natural market forces.

The geoplotical ramifications are MASSIVE...good and bad.
Pie in the sky IMO.

But what is the parallel 'storage' option - because that's really half the equation? I'm not familiar.

Battery tech has nowhere kept pace with power generation.

We basically rocking the same power-weight ratios as from a hundred years ago.
Ah yes. I thought you meant there was another 'option' than the present one, which is as destructive/anti-green as can be.

Advertisement

Laughable would be thinking our current state is sustainable. It's not.

Hopefully my great great great grandchildren will benefit from this.

In the meantime, let’s drill drill drill, frack frack frack, and spin up some nuclear fission power plants. That’s energy we can get right now. Not some pie in the sky stuff that might happen when we have starships patrolling the universe.

Advertisement
I'll see your fancy fusion and raise you a few ounces of oil and a Romeo...

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 8.55.08 PM.png

Advertisement
Back