further expansion (playoffs)

It's a disgrace that will ruin the best regular season in sports.

Four is, and has always been, the right number.

If 4 is perfect, and leads to a suspenseful regular season, why can I already predict the 2025 game?

Alabama 90%
Auburn, LSU, Georgia 90%
Clemson, Oklahoma 90%
Notre Dame, Ohio State 65%
Everyone Else65%
If there was no playoffs, the SEC/NFL would have always been better than the rest of college football/AFL.

But the Jets beat the Colts—- and it was deserved.
The Chiefs then beat the big bad Vikings
****, conversely, the New York Giants would never have been given a chance to beat the Patriots.

Those results didn’t cheapen the season, it made it all the more memorable.

The winning team wasn’t given much hope, won the games in their portion of the league to qualify, and kept winning until the worthy underdog became world champion

For the “regular season” to matter. Win your major conference! You get an automatic birth.

Give the top rated non-major a ticket.

Pick 7 and 8 from all teams, but no conference can have more than 2 participants.

I could go for 6 as described above, but then I’d have to deal with the f-wad Irish minions and the sec apologists.

These are thoughts I heard a long time ago, and realized they were as logical as they were complete.
I don’t mind hearing a better idea than the above, but I haven’t heard it over the last 10-15 years of listening for it.

Advertisement
If 4 is perfect, and leads to a suspenseful regular season, why can I already predict the 2025 game?

Alabama 90%
Auburn, LSU, Georgia 90%
Clemson, Oklahoma 90%
Notre Dame, Ohio State 65%
Everyone Else65%
If there was no playoffs, the SEC/NFL would have always been better than the rest of college football/AFL.

But the Jets beat the Colts—- and it was deserved.
The Chiefs then beat the big bad Vikings
****, conversely, the New York Giants would never have been given a chance to beat the Patriots.

Those results didn’t cheapen the season, it made it all the more memorable.

The winning team wasn’t given much hope, won the games in their portion of the league to qualify, and kept winning until the worthy underdog became world champion

For the “regular season” to matter. Win your major conference! You get an automatic birth.

Give the top rated non-major a ticket.

Pick 7 and 8 from all teams, but no conference can have more than 2 participants.

I could go for 6 as described above, but then I’d have to deal with the f-wad Irish minions and the sec apologists.

These are thoughts I heard a long time ago, and realized they were as logical as they were complete.
I don’t mind hearing a better idea than the above, but I haven’t heard it over the last 10-15 years of listening for it.

Winning a conference championship should a requirement under the four-team system.

There should be no playoff team that did not win their conference.

There aren't 8 elite teams every year. Four is fine.
Some years there isn't 4, but some times theres 6 and im sure there will be plenty of years where's theres 8 or more that can have some sort of justification that they deserve to be ranked as high as teams that are ranked 3-6. 8 teams is what's coming.

I hate any version that allows the top 2 seeds to hav a bye. Keep it even Steven, every one plays the same amount of games.

Some years there isn't 4, but some times theres 6 and im sure there will be plenty of years where's theres 8 or more that can have some sort of justification that they deserve to be ranked as high as teams that are ranked 3-6. 8 teams is what's coming.
That's not even possible with the current conferences. Those teams outside the top 4 are usually teams that lost their conference championship to well....the teams in the top 4. Once you get outside of 6, you enter 2-3 loss teams who more than likely lost to the top teams anyway. Just take a look at the top 8 from any year and point out the "elite" teams that were left out.

Advertisement
That's not even possible with the current conferences. Those teams outside the top 4 are usually teams that lost their conference championship to well....the teams in the top 4. Once you get outside of 6, you enter 2-3 loss teams who more than likely lost to the top teams anyway. Just take a look at the top 8 from any year and point out the "elite" teams that were left out.
I hear you, but honestly were never going to have 4 elite teams or 6 elite teams. I mean the odds of having 4 undated teams has probably never happened. You could have teams ranked at 7 or 8 with just one loss. Im also not even trying to add all these conference champions just to have them in it. I think they either need to make every conference have a champion ship or get rid of it all together and just use the 8 team play, or even a 16 team play off system. Just like march madness you will have some upsets and those games will go down as some of the greatest ever viewed. To me I just dont want to see any teams getting a bye.

It's a disgrace that will ruin the best regular season in sports.

Four is, and has always been, the right number.

I don't think 8 ruins it. Right now you need to win all of your games or potentially lose 1. That doesnt really change with an 8 game format accept that it allows a few more teams to still have hope if they do lose a game which should encourage more teams to schedule tough out of conference match up. It also keep fan bases of teams that lose a game engaged as they still have a chance to get into the playoffs, but doesn't cheapen it as you would still need to be in the top 7% of college football.

I'm down with the 8 games as the regular season is still very important, unless you're in the SEC...then you can lose 3 or 4 games and still somehow get in

thoughts on this? saw that a lot of schools are behind a further playoff expansion. i hated the playoff idea to begin with because the best part about the CFB season was that the playoffs were your regular season.
Thats only an opinion...the debate about who's the best in CFB, every year, is driven by cash flow.

Advertisement
No question.

LOL at the people looking for ways to somehow to get UCF in there

I personally am not trying to get UCF into the 4 team playoff, but am afraid one day they will sneak their way in over a more deserving team b/c they (or someone similar) are undefeated and they are being hyped. You do an 8 team playoff and they get in instead of the 8th ranked team - oh well. Or just take the top ranked 8 teams regardless of conferences.

I personally am not trying to get UCF into the 4 team playoff, but am afraid one day they will sneak their way in over a more deserving team b/c they (or someone similar) are undefeated and they are being hyped. You do an 8 team playoff and they get in instead of the 8th ranked team - oh well. Or just take the top ranked 8 teams regardless of conferences.

The entire idea of an eight team playoff is something I don’t even want to think about. I honestly hate it. Although, I think we’re doomed to go there.

(unless of course if sometime in the future we sneak in at a number eight spot, then I reserve the right to like it. But normally no, I don’t like it.)

The entire idea of an eight team playoff is something I don’t even want to think about. I honestly hate it. Although, I think we’re doomed to go there.

(unless of course if sometime in the future we sneak in at a number eight spot, then I reserve the right to like it. But normally no, I don’t like it.)

One more round of games causes hate?

There are 5 major conferences. 4 teams doesn't work because it's a beauty contest at that point...and we know the sec will get 2 of the 4 if we let ESPN and the other power brokers decide.

5 spots guaranteed won/lost on the field, which gives 1 slot for a non-major 5 Cinderella and two more chosen for the beauty contestant people---just so that no conference can have more than two spots.

And the best non-p5 team could pull out a win ala the Jets in SBIII, etc. which would be wonderful for the sport since 130 teams in division 1 can dream of winning it all.

And please don't forget you fellow cane loving fans...

OUR FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP IN 1984 WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED AS WE WERE NOT IN THE TOP FOUR!

case closed

:)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back