Funny Switzer Recruting Story...

Hochevar tells the story of a Kentucky recruiter taking Peacock’s mom to gamble at jai alai. The Kentucky coach hit a big winner and the next morning proudly told Hochevar he had shared half his winnings with Peacock’s mom. “Should have kept your money,” Hochevar said. “Elvis told me last night he’s for sure coming.”

When Switzer went recruiting in Miami in those days, he had a local high school coach, Rufus Ford, drive him around. Years later, NCAA investigators delved into Switzer’s finances and asked why he had written a check for $500 to Rufus Ford.

“Why?” Switzer asked. “Because his (butt) picked me up and drove me around Liberty City. I didn’t know where to go.” The NCAA investigator said, “That’s a violation.”

Switzer responded, “I should have got that $500 and got me a pit bull. Would that have been a violation?”

Advertisement
Hochevar tells the story of a Kentucky recruiter taking Peacock’s mom to gamble at jai alai. The Kentucky coach hit a big winner and the next morning proudly told Hochevar he had shared half his winnings with Peacock’s mom. “Should have kept your money,” Hochevar said. “Elvis told me last night he’s for sure coming.”

When Switzer went recruiting in Miami in those days, he had a local high school coach, Rufus Ford, drive him around. Years later, NCAA investigators delved into Switzer’s finances and asked why he had written a check for $500 to Rufus Ford.

“Why?” Switzer asked. “Because his (butt) picked me up and drove me around Liberty City. I didn’t know where to go.” The NCAA investigator said, “That’s a violation.”

Switzer responded, “I should have got that $500 and got me a pit bull. Would that have been a violation?”

Yeah, he's told similar versions of that story over the years, especially at alum and booster events. There was also another highly regarded RB (George "Buster" Rhymes) from Northwestern who had signed state Letter of Intent to attend UM, but ended up signing with OU. Shortly thereafter he was seen around town driving a red new Cadillac Eldorado, which back in the day was a very expensive car. He claimed his uncle bought it for him as a graduation gift...lol

Yeah, he's told similar versions of that story over the years, especially at alum and booster events. There was also another highly regarded RB (George "Buster" Rhymes) from Northwestern who had signed state Letter of Intent to attend UM, but ended up signing with OU. Shortly thereafter he was seen around town driving a red new Cadillac Eldorado, which back in the day was a very expensive car. He claimed his uncle bought it for him as a graduation gift...lol
The same Buster Rhymes who allegedly pull an uzi out and started firing cause someone hit him with a snowball when attending OU. Shoulda stayed in Miami. 🤣

Good share ...

Advertisement
A new Cadillac Eldorado would be expensive today ... :D

The same Buster Rhymes who allegedly pull an uzi out and started firing cause someone hit him with a snowball when attending OU. Shoulda stayed in Miami. 🤣

In Bozworth's book, Confessions of an Antihero he told a story about Buster Rhymes bringing his Uzi to the roof of the football dorm and emptying the magazine off the roof aimed toward some common (walking) area. I guess no one got rained on....unless there's another story about Switzer burying that too. lol

In Switzer's book (Bootlegger's Boy) he said the incident was Rhymes firing off a few shots in the air from a non-Uzi pistol.

Advertisement
Elvis Peacock’s dad was a custodian at Palmetto when I went there. He used to tell us all the crazy recruiting stories.

I played against Buster from pee-wee to high school; he told me the story and it wasn’t an uzi. It was a handgun and he shot it up in the air. He also told me the rednecks on OUs team used to shoot rifles into the air.

i remember as a kid watching the game where buster played against freddie miles their senior year. it was no comparison. everyone who watched freddie knew that he was going to be GOAT. what a sad ending and a cautionary tale.

i remember as a kid watching the game where buster played against freddie miles their senior year. it was no comparison. everyone who watched freddie knew that he was going to be GOAT. what a sad ending and a cautionary tale.

Rhymes always struck me as a RB in a WR body, which is what I think he played at the pro level. He would've excelled at the UM under Schnellenberger.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back