FSU Stats

Advertisement
How is it that we keep changing coaches, it we keep sucking with regards to penalties and TOP? I don't think you have to win TOP to win the game, but it's strange that no matter who's in charge, Miami racks up penalties and can't hold the ball. It's not hard to imagine winning 2 more games per year if we improved those 2 stats.

Last edited:
How is it that we keep changing coaches, it we keep sucking with regards to penalties and TOP? I don't think you have to win TOP to win the game, but it's strange that no matter who's in charge, Miami racks up penalties and can't hold the ball. It's not hard to imagine winning 2 more games per year if we improved those 2 stats.

Uptempo offense + lack of a running game = poor TOP

Posted this in its own thread earlier, but here are PFF grades from the FSU game. https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-fsu-miami-grades-francois-cook-solid-in-noles-win/

Top defensive grades:

DT Gerald Willis, 78.3
DE Chad Thomas, 77.2
CB Corn Elder, 76.6
LB Shaquille Quarterman, 75.6
LB Darrion Owens, 73.0

Shaq graded out as our 4th best defensive player and barely got beat out by Matthew Thomas as the highest graded LB in this game.

UknowWhat: interested to get your take if you're willing to share - was Shaq (or anyone on our D) surprised by FSU's offensive game plan? Aside from the cook TD reception, it looked like our D was prepared for everything FSU threw at us. Very encouraging since it was extremely apparent the last few years that our D wasn't always prepared for the offenses they faced. Credit to Diaz and the staff. Our D played fast and swarmed to the ball.

Advertisement

TOP is the most overrated stat in football.

Our penalties issue is a real concern no doubt.

One thing fellas....We have always been shtted on by the officials. Most calls come down to the judgement of the officials. Were always going to have a bunch of penalties, some we should have called and others........The bllsht calls are the ones that make our penalty numbers high. We get holding calls that aren't really holding. How exactly do you fix that?

We fix it the same way Miami teams have always fixed it - by making sure a game NEVER comes down to a ref's call....

Winning by 40 or more solves that.

This wasn't a great FSU team.

Our defense is starting to play like a Miami defense.

Our offense underperformed....

One thing fellas....We have always been shtted on by the officials. Most calls come down to the judgement of the officials. Were always going to have a bunch of penalties, some we should have called and others........The bllsht calls are the ones that make our penalty numbers high. We get holding calls that aren't really holding. How exactly do you fix that?

Advertisement
276 isn't going to cut it when fsu been giving up close to 500 yards a game. We need to hire a real OC

Posted this in its own thread earlier, but here are PFF grades from the FSU game. https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-fsu-miami-grades-francois-cook-solid-in-noles-win/

Top defensive grades:

DT Gerald Willis, 78.3
DE Chad Thomas, 77.2
CB Corn Elder, 76.6
LB Darrion Owens, 73.0

Shaq graded out as our 4th best defensive player and barely got beat out by Matthew Thomas as the highest graded LB in this game.

UknowWhat: interested to get your take if you're willing to share - was Shaq (or anyone on our D) surprised by FSU's offensive game plan? Aside from the cook TD reception, it looked like our D was prepared for everything FSU threw at us. Very encouraging since it was extremely apparent the last few years that our D wasn't always prepared for the offenses they faced. Credit to Diaz and the staff. Our D played fast and swarmed to the ball.

Surprised to not see Norton on there.

Advertisement

Top defensive grades:

DT Gerald Willis, 78.3
DE Chad Thomas, 77.2
CB Corn Elder, 76.6
LB Darrion Owens, 73.0

He told me before the game they were prepared ... they just had to execute

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

We fix it the same way Miami teams have always fixed it - by making sure a game NEVER comes down to a ref's call....

One thing fellas....We have always been shtted on by the officials. Most calls come down to the judgement of the officials. Were always going to have a bunch of penalties, some we should have called and others........The bllsht calls are are talking about the ones that make our penalty numbers high. We get holding calls that aren't really holding. How exactly do you fix that?

Your response is totally out of context. People in the thread are talking about cutting down on penalties. Not how we should beat teams so the refs don't matter. I'm simply stating we are getting phantom penalties, so realistically there is no way to cut down on them.

Advertisement

Where does this idea that old Miami teams were blowing teams out left and right come from exactly?

It's like people think every team before 2002 were the 2001 Miami Hurricanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where does this idea that old Miami teams were blowing teams out left and right come from exactly?

It's like people think every team before 2002 were the 2001 Miami Hurricanes.

That flag on waltons run was thrown when the official noticed Walton broke out these games if close the officials can really dictate the winner or the loser it's getting ridiculous and the targeting how and why couldn't they switch it?

It's not overrated when you don't score. Our D was on the field too much the past 2 games

It's not overrated when you don't score. Our D was on the field too much the past 2 games

Yup, TOP doesn't have to be important, but it is to us. While we have the athletes to bust some games open, Richt isn't running an offense that is designed to score big. Or more acurately, he's not running our offense in a way that tells me that quick scoring quickly is his goal. As such, it would go better for us if TOP were a little closer to even.

Advertisement
Back