FSU LIVE BOT Meeting - Livestream link

UF, UNC, Duke, GT and freaking Pitt are all over a billion yearly as well, which makes your $800-950m average look weak.

Again, show me HOW joining the B1G magically boosts your federal research funding, in a way that being AAU accredited and in a different conference would not give you the same effect.

Spoiler: you can’t.

It's not true that you "can't". It just won't be proven to you in a way that you find acceptable.

There are direct and indirect ways that joining the Big 10 improves a university's research revenue. One is to participate in joint projects with other universities, such as some of the research programs that took place during COVID and which were not performed by one school only. But those are hard to identify and quantify in a way that says "look, I've proven that Big 10 membership has boosted us".

The other way is indirect and has to do with the "prestige" and other intangibles. Nobody can really prove "yeah, that last research project, we only got that because of the last bit of prestige that came from being in the AAU and Big 10". Yet on a macro level, Big 10 schools (individually and on the whole) garner more research money than any other P5 conference.

As for your comparison of UF, UNC, Pitt and GaTech (state schools that have long dominated for research money within their own states) and Duke (a private school that has an endowment and resources that dwarf Miami's), you are comparing apples to oranges.

And, to be honest with you, I feel very confident that UNC, Pitt, GaTech, and Duke would jump to the Big 10 if given the chance. For BOTH academic and athletic purposes. Pitt has wanted that for years. And GaTech left the SEC for reasons that included academics.

Advertisement
It's not true that you "can't". It just won't be proven to you in a way that you find acceptable.

There are direct and indirect ways that joining the Big 10 improves a university's research revenue. One is to participate in joint projects with other universities, such as some of the research programs that took place during COVID and which were not performed by one school only. But those are hard to identify and quantify in a way that says "look, I've proven that Big 10 membership has boosted us".

The other way is indirect and has to do with the "prestige" and other intangibles. Nobody can really prove "yeah, that last research project, we only got that because of the last bit of prestige that came from being in the AAU and Big 10". Yet on a macro level, Big 10 schools (individually and on the whole) garner more research money than any other P5 conference.

As for your comparison of UF, UNC, Pitt and GaTech (state schools that have long dominated for research money within their own states) and Duke (a private school that has an endowment and resources that dwarf Miami's), you are comparing apples to oranges.

And, to be honest with you, I feel very confident that UNC, Pitt, GaTech, and Duke would jump to the Big 10 if given the chance. For BOTH academic and athletic purposes. Pitt has wanted that for years. And GaTech left the SEC for reasons that included academics.
And his statement is incorrect at least for Duke, they pulled in $649 Million in Federal research money in the last year reported fy21.

Duke Federal Research funding

I presented the compelling evidence.that academic is the driving factor with athletics.

Miami is now an AAU school with millions in federal academic reasearch who was voted in by ALL B1G schools on the AAU selection committee. The B1G pays the most in TV football revenue. Academic research among AAU schools brings in more money than ALL of college football and basketball combined.

Do the math. All B1G exspansion has included ONLY AAU schools. Some people are stuck on stupid. If you can't figure out that money in both athletics and academic research is the driving factor, nobody can't help you.

I don’t necessarily disagree, I just disagree that it’s as open and shut as you seem to think.

Devil’s advocate… why did Texas choose the SEC over BIG? They had the option of joining either, are AAU, and are objectively more academically prestigious than UM (ie they do more research and have higher rankings)

If the money is much better in the BIG, why would a peer university make the choice Texas did only a couple years ago?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back