FSU LIVE BOT Meeting - Livestream link

Advertisement
71 from FL, GA, LA.

49 NOT from FL, GA, LA

49 NOT from FL, GA, LA

Now do SEC :)

There’s 10 from B1G…

I’m not defending it but the powers that be at UM are unlikely to make a move without knowing where we are going.

If we wanted to go to war to get out of the ACC we could have sued over the systematic officiating ***** jobs… not for individual acts but for the conference failing to perform their duties of officiating oversight (see, eg, what is a safety?). Cumulatively I believe there was a case to be made that the conference breached their duty of good faith and fair dealing with our contractual delegation of oversight authority. Not necessarily a guaranteed winner, but a first salvo in an attack against the conference to facilitate an exit.

I was told the school didn’t want to do anything until they had someplace to go.

I suspect FSU isn’t being so cautious… but they do say fate favors the bold.

"I was told the school didn’t want to do anything until they had someplace to go."

This is of course prudent as a business matter.

But do conversations/negotiations/agreements with other conferences to secure a landing spot while a current contract is in place create a meaningful tortious interference risk for FSU/other schools in your opinion?

"I was told the school didn’t want to do anything until they had someplace to go."

This is of course prudent as a business matter.

But do conversations/negotiations/agreements with other conferences to secure a landing spot while a current contract is in place create a meaningful tortious interference risk for FSU/other schools in your opinion?
I don’t think so. The tortfeasor in a tortious interference action is a third party who interferes with an existing or prospective contract between two or more other parties. The liability of the actual parties to the contract is based upon the terms of the contract and the implied covenants/duties attendant to the contract. Now theoretically FSU could commit tortious interference as between the ACC and another member school, but they’d really have to be idiots to do that.

Advertisement
I don’t think so. The tortfeasor in a tortious interference action is a third party who interferes with an existing or prospective contract between two or more other parties. The liability of the actual parties to the contract is based upon the terms of the contract and the implied covenants/duties attendant to the contract. Now theoretically FSU could commit tortious interference as between the ACC and another member school, but they’d really have to be idiots to do that.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but could another conference engaging in negotiations regarding a school's (FSU) landing spot be such a third party subject to a tortious interference claim?

PS: were you MAPCane back in the day?

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but could another conference engaging in negotiations regarding a school's (FSU) landing spot be such a third party subject to a tortious interference claim?

PS: were you MAPCane back in the day?

You’re good… tortious interference requires intentional and unjustifiable interference. Another conference negotiating with an ACC member would likely not create a cause of action unless the other conference initiated the contact and wrongly maligned the ACC or offered improper inducements to the member to breach the contract with the ACC. Free open market business negotiations generally do not give rise to a tortious interference claim, even if one of the entities is currently party to an existing contract.

Never was MAPCane. Came over from grassy… only post in spurts.

Go Canes!!

Where is the evidence that "Miami is not joining the SEC?"

People love to spout off about 100% speculative **** as if it's pure fact, it's laughable. You don't know if we're joining the SEC, the Big 10, or even remaining in the ACC or joining the Big 12. You have zero clue.

You're just giving your opinion, and the other guy gave his opinion, and neither is necessarily any better than the other.
I presented the compelling evidence.that academic is the driving factor with athletics.

Miami is now an AAU school with millions in federal academic reasearch who was voted in by ALL B1G schools on the AAU selection committee. The B1G pays the most in TV football revenue. Academic research among AAU schools brings in more money than ALL of college football and basketball combined.

Do the math. All B1G exspansion has included ONLY AAU schools. Some people are stuck on stupid. If you can't figure out that money in both athletics and academic research is the driving factor, nobody can't help you.

I think UM would strongly prefer the B1G, but if the SEC ever decides to knock on our door again (even if it's just a power play to keep the B1G out of Florida), we absolutely have to say yes.
You guys can't get thru your thick skulls that academic research is the driving factor. We love sports, but the academic research crushes the revenue generated from all of college football and basketball combined.

When the decision is made, the school president will look at academics, not just sports and football. The athletic department is just 1 piece if the university. Because coaches get paid so much, people think that sport is king. It is not. I'm telling you this as me being a college football junkie and former D-1 athlete. The money in academic research dwarfs sports.

Joining the B1G provides more than just athletic revenue. The research of B1G AAU schools are part of a network. All the research at any B1G AAU school is available to any member. This doesn't sound ****, but it's huge!!! Couple that with the amount of money involved in academic research and it's quite compelling that Miami would want to join the B1G and the B1G would want Miami.

FSU could bring more TV revenue to the B1G, but they would bring nothing to the academic side and be left out of AAU research. Fox is pushing for FSU because sports TV is their business. However, the dynamics at play are much bigger than just sports.

Advertisement
I presented the compelling evidence.that academic is the driving factor with athletics.

Miami is now an AAU school with millions in federal academic reasearch who was voted in by ALL B1G schools on the AAU selection committee. The B1G pays the most in TV football revenue. Academic research among AAU schools brings in more money than ALL of college football and basketball combined.

Do the math. All B1G exspansion has included ONLY AAU schools. Some people are stuck on stupid. If you can't figure out that money in both athletics and academic research is the driving factor, nobody can't help you.

Your argument boils down to Miami has the same accreditation as B1G schools.

Great! That accreditation is also shared a bunch of other non B1G schools - federal money isn’t distributed based on school athletic conference affiliation. :ROFLMAO:

I agree that some people are stuck on stupid, a very critical part of your post.

My argument is based on geography, on the recruiting aspect of… oh, 90% of our roster, and the fact that parents of our players don’t necessarily live in Miami but are scattered throughout the Southeast.

You keep spouting off about federal research dollars, those aren’t based on what conference your athletics are in :)

I’m sure you live in some godforsaken hole in Ohio and are dying to see the Canes up there, but the more you speak about research and academics, the more Notre Dame seems appropriate for your fandom.
Recruiting is national.

Recruiting is national.

So why is our roster 90% from SEC territory?

71 players from Florida, Georgia and Louisiana. Sure, you can recruit nationally, but you generally pull from where you play. That’s why OSU has (checks notes) 6 Florida players…

Your argument boils down to Miami has the same accreditation as B1G schools.

Great! That accreditation is also shared a bunch of other non B1G schools - federal money isn’t distributed based on school athletic conference affiliation. :ROFLMAO:

I agree that some people are stuck on stupid, a very critical part of your post.
My argument t is that the most money for Miami is in the B1G. Even if the SEC paid out the highest tv revenue it would be less than what the B1G tv and academic revenue provide.

When the academic revenue is coupled with the football tv revenue, you would have to be an idiot to go to any other conference.

It just makes financial sense. Fans only look at the potential revenue going to the athletic department. The school president looks at all the revenue coming into the university.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My argument t is that the most money for Miami is in the B1G. Even if the SEC paid out the highest tv revenue it would be less than what the B1G tv and academic revenue provide.

When the academic revenue is coupled with the football tv revenue, you would have to be an idiot to go to any other conference.

It just makes financial sense.

Show me how academic revenue is tied to your athletic conference.

You can’t. That’s the whole point of your argument, and it falls apart when examined in that lens.

You can’t. That’s the whole point of your argument, and it falls apart when examined in that lens.
I'm not wasting my time for you lazy a** MF's!!! I posted links in this thread to article on the Rutgers/Maryland expansion and to a YouTube video discussion with an expert on the subject. Search, find them. Read the articles and watch the video.

You're welcome!!!

Advertisement

Its called the Big Ten Academic Alliance.

"The Big Ten Academic Alliance was established by the presidents of the Big Ten Conference members in 1958 as the athletic league's academic counterpart. Initially known as the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, the consortium's name was changed to the Big Ten Academic Alliance in 2016 to better reflect the composition of the member institutions."

Claims $11.5 Billion dollars in research funds for Calendar year 2022. While football only generated $845.6 million dollars in revenue.

Yahoo report on revenue

Big Ten Academic Alliance

BTW: 10 minute google search.

Its called the Big Ten Academic Alliance.

"The Big Ten Academic Alliance was established by the presidents of the Big Ten Conference members in 1958 as the athletic league's academic counterpart. Initially known as the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, the consortium's name was changed to the Big Ten Academic Alliance in 2016 to better reflect the composition of the member institutions."

Claims $11.5 Billion dollars in research funds for Calendar year 2022. While football only generated $845.6 million dollars in revenue.

Yahoo report on revenue

Big Ten Academic Alliance

BTW: 10 minute google search.

UF, UNC, Duke, GT and freaking Pitt are all over a billion yearly as well, which makes your $800-950m average look weak.

Again, show me HOW joining the B1G magically boosts your federal research funding, in a way that being AAU accredited and in a different conference would not give you the same effect.

Spoiler: you can’t.

UF, UNC, Duke, GT and freaking Pitt are all over a billion yearly as well, which makes your $800-950m average look weak.

Again, show me HOW joining the B1G magically boosts your federal research funding, in a way that being AAU accredited and in a different conference would not give you the same effect.

Spoiler: you can’t.
ok.

So why is our roster 90% from SEC territory?

71 players from Florida, Georgia and Louisiana. Sure, you can recruit nationally, but you generally pull from where you play. That’s why OSU has (checks notes) 6 Florida players…

Oh, good lord.

Your arguments are terrible.

"SEC Territory". As if they own certain states. Two of the three states you just cited are (checks notes) also ACC territory. And could easily be (checks notes) Big 10 territory if the Big 10 invites certain schools.

Maybe you need to drive down I-75 on the west coast of Florida to see how many Big 10 alums live over there. Quite a few. The point is, you have a level of overlap and synergy. The SEC is arrogant and thinks it already "owns" Florida recruits. The Big 10 wants to get more involved with Florida recruits, as it sees where the US demographics have shifted.

You need to look beyond "the high school printed on a kid's diploma" as the end-all/be-all of recruiting. It's a big factor, no doubt. But recruiting HAS gone national. Doesn't mean you will land the out-of-state/out-of-region recruits as frequently as you do with the kids from your region. Still, to act as if we are bound to some region forever based simply on recruiting and/or current roster is just provincial thinking.

Nobody is saying the SEC is terrible. Had the SEC valued Miami more over the past few decades, maybe we'd already be a member. But the SEC (and/or certain members with a Gator logo) have been arrogant and dismissive towards us. We can't go where we are not invited.

Advertisement
Back