FSU DE commit Farmer still hearing from Canes, talks UM-FSU game

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With most of their 2021 recruiting class locked up, the Miami Hurricanes have narrowed their board to just a few targets to finish out the cycle. One of those targets is Gadsden County (FL) 3-star DE Joshua Farmer, who began speaking with UM back in late January after Miami DL coach Todd Stroud visited him at his school and verbally offered him.

“Coach Stroud is my main guy, I talk to him two to three times per week at least,” Farmer said. “Coach Stroud came and met me at the school before all this corona stuff and saw me during spring ball, so that’s how we started building a relationship.”

Both defensive coordinator Blake Baker and director of recruiting David “Pop” Cooney keep in regular contact with Farmer as well. As for the Miami staff’s pitch, Farmer says they mainly point out the chance for playing time in the near future, as well as the success defensive ends have had in their system in recent years.

“At the end position, they have two older ends that are leaving soon so they’ll have opportunity for me,” Farmer said. “Their defense, it speaks for itself, it’s a legendary defense, so they don’t have to recruit too much on that part. I know it’s a good place for ends to go, you see a lot of good ends go there. It’s a defensive school, that’s what I like about it.”

Recently, the Canes took the next step in their recruitment of Farmer in extending the 6-3 250 pound prospect an official offer late last month, something Farmer says lets him know UM is serious about him.

“I know I am a priority for them,” Farmer said. “I keep in contact with a couple schools, but they’re my favorite.”

Those other schools in contact include Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Auburn, Georgia Tech, and Florida State, the program Farmer is currently committed to. Farmer has been an FSU pledge for 8 months now and feels that by growing up in Apalachicola not far from the FSU campus in Tallahassee, he has a close connection to the Seminoles.

“It’s just home,” Farmer said of the Noles. “I mainly committed because of coach Odell (Haggins) and because it’s close to home, those were the main two reasons. Being close to home, it will be easier on my family to get to those games.”

Despite his commitment to FSU, Farmer’s interest in Miami hasn’t waned at all. Although he didn’t have a chance to visit UM’s campus, he was able to make a trip to see South Florida earlier this month.

“I actually was down there in Miami two weeks ago,” Farmer said. “Me and my coaches, we were just chilling, just going to the beach and stuff. I love it, it’s paradise.”

However, the Gadsden County star was able to visit UM’s campus last summer with his cousin before he was being recruited by Miami.

“It speaks for itself,” Farmer said of UM. “I love the campus, it doesn’t get much better than that.”

Farmer hopes to return to UM and make an official visit to really get a better look at the football program, but he recognizes that might not be feasible in the era of COVID-19.

“They pushed the dead period back until January,” Farmer said. “So they all say after that, they hope there will be officials. There won’t be many people, but they hope I’ll be able to take an official (in January).”

If Farmer decides not to take official visits or they are not allowed, he will sign in December as he is already set and eligible to graduate early.

“If I don’t take officials, my final decision is probably going to be in early December, around December 5th,” Farmer said. “I’ll make my final decision with one school and set everything out.”

With the Miami-Florida State rivalry on tap to return this weekend, Farmer gave his thoughts on the big game between two of his top schools. While he did not grow up an FSU fan despite living close by, and declined to give a prediction, Farmer did say the outcome of this game could have an impact on his ultimate destination.

“This rivalry goes way back, this is a real rivalry game right here,” Farmer said. “It’s one to see, I’ll definitely be watching. Two of my top schools playing each other – I want to go somewhere and win, I’m not into losing. I want to see what defense fits me better.”

In the meantime, Farmer will continue his senior season at Gadsden County, where the Jaguars have gotten off to a good start during their 2020 campaign.

“We won in Week 1 [vs. Marianna], beat them 28-0, I performed good,” Farmer said. “I was hoping to perform better this week [vs. Wakulla] because it’s better competition, but our game got cancelled.”

Advertisement
Others have already joked about it, but seriously - nothing against him, unless some other players are going to get dropped from the class, we need to be loading up on CBs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
thinkin staff is going to use Davis as a OLB/stand up rusher on 3rd down..kid is versatile, he wont be a DE here

I was told the plan was de all the way. Tbh him playing mlb makes me think he’s trying to show he can play in another scheme , a scheme that he doesn’t exactly fit in as a de. That’s just how it struck me when I heard about the move.

I was told the plan was de all the way. Tbh him playing mlb makes me think he’s trying to show he can play in another scheme , a scheme that he doesn’t exactly fit in as a de. That’s just how it struck me when I heard about the move.

Crib. You don't think Davis could make a better MLB than Jennings or McCloud for that matter? I love that kids burst and lateral movement. He seems to flow to the ball well. Maybe field awareness is a problem, but only way to know that is try him out at the spot.

With most of their 2021 recruiting class locked up, the Miami Hurricanes have narrowed their board to just a few targets to finish out the cycle. One of those targets is Gadsden County (FL) 3-star DE Joshua Farmer, who began speaking with UM back in late January after Miami DL coach Todd Stroud visited him at his school and verbally offered him.

“Coach Stroud is my main guy, I talk to him two to three times per week at least,” Farmer said. “Coach Stroud came and met me at the school before all this corona stuff and saw me during spring ball, so that’s how we started building a relationship.”

Both defensive coordinator Blake Baker and director of recruiting David “Pop” Cooney keep in regular contact with Farmer as well. As for the Miami staff’s pitch, Farmer says they mainly point out the chance for playing time in the near future, as well as the success defensive ends have had in their system in recent years.

“At the end position, they have two older ends that are leaving soon so they’ll have opportunity for me,” Farmer said. “Their defense, it speaks for itself, it’s a legendary defense, so they don’t have to recruit too much on that part. I know it’s a good place for ends to go, you see a lot of good ends go there. It’s a defensive school, that’s what I like about it.”

Recently, the Canes took the next step in their recruitment of Farmer in extending the 6-3 250 pound prospect an official offer late last month, something Farmer says lets him know UM is serious about him.

“I know I am a priority for them,” Farmer said. “I keep in contact with a couple schools, but they’re my favorite.”

Those other schools in contact include Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Auburn, Georgia Tech, and Florida State, the program Farmer is currently committed to. Farmer has been an FSU pledge for 8 months now and feels that by growing up in Apalachicola not far from the FSU campus in Tallahassee, he has a close connection to the Seminoles.

“It’s just home,” Farmer said of the Noles. “I mainly committed because of coach Odell (Haggins) and because it’s close to home, those were the main two reasons. Being close to home, it will be easier on my family to get to those games.”

Despite his commitment to FSU, Farmer’s interest in Miami hasn’t waned at all. Although he didn’t have a chance to visit UM’s campus, he was able to make a trip to see South Florida earlier this month.

“I actually was down there in Miami two weeks ago,” Farmer said. “Me and my coaches, we were just chilling, just going to the beach and stuff. I love it, it’s paradise.”

However, the Gadsden County star was able to visit UM’s campus last summer with his cousin before he was being recruited by Miami.

“It speaks for itself,” Farmer said of UM. “I love the campus, it doesn’t get much better than that.”

Farmer hopes to return to UM and make an official visit to really get a better look at the football program, but he recognizes that might not be feasible in the era of COVID-19.

“They pushed the dead period back until January,” Farmer said. “So they all say after that, they hope there will be officials. There won’t be many people, but they hope I’ll be able to take an official (in January).”

If Farmer decides not to take official visits or they are not allowed, he will sign in December as he is already set and eligible to graduate early.

“If I don’t take officials, my final decision is probably going to be in early December, around December 5th,” Farmer said. “I’ll make my final decision with one school and set everything out.”

With the Miami-Florida State rivalry on tap to return this weekend, Farmer gave his thoughts on the big game between two of his top schools. While he did not grow up an FSU fan despite living close by, and declined to give a prediction, Farmer did say the outcome of this game could have an impact on his ultimate destination.

“This rivalry goes way back, this is a real rivalry game right here,” Farmer said. “It’s one to see, I’ll definitely be watching. Two of my top schools playing each other – I want to go somewhere and win, I’m not into losing. I want to see what defense fits me better.”

In the meantime, Farmer will continue his senior season at Gadsden County, where the Jaguars have gotten off to a good start during their 2020 campaign.

“We won in Week 1 [vs. Marianna], beat them 28-0, I performed good,” Farmer said. “I was hoping to perform better this week [vs. Wakulla] because it’s better competition, but our game got cancelled.”

I don’t know much about coaching but from the tape, seems like the kids stands straight up and very high pad level. Seems like he would be easy to block by talented O-Line but if Stroud offered him, then gotta trust that. End of the day, we need corners, though in the 2021 class.

Advertisement
I wouldn't mind flipping Josh or his teammate Darrell Jackson, both are kids with super high physical upsides.

Josh in particular is a Demetrius Jackson clone, would fit perfect as a viper for us.

He's not making his decision until December, but I like that we're doing our due diligence & have options open.

I wouldn't mind flipping Josh or his teammate Darrell Jackson, both are kids with super high physical upsides.

Josh in particular is a Demetrius Jackson clone, would fit perfect as a viper for us.

He's not making his decision until December, but I like that we're doing our due diligence & have options open.
Seems like between him and the guy from Houston there are some new targets on the DE board. Wonder if Davis moving to LB has anything to do with it.

Advertisement
I thought there was no contact between players and coaches other than video or phone whatever...Doesn’t he say him and the coaches were “ just chillin” when he was in Miami a couple weeks ago?

Which coaches 🤷‍♂️

I thought there was no contact between players and coaches other than video or phone whatever...Doesn’t he say him and the coaches were “ just chillin” when he was in Miami a couple weeks ago?

Which coaches 🤷‍♂️
His hs coaches

Advertisement
Back