From the Perch: Savannah State (part 2)

View as article
Great Great question. Ultimately for the longevity of the quarterback room is where my answer will lie. Jarren still needs to learn the playbook and where I am still a HUGE fan of his ability, you can't deny he has one less year in the system. The other issue is that if Richt does announce Williams as the starter this year, the mass defections on this roster could of potentially left you with one scholarship QB on the roster.

Then you are one QB injury away from squandering a really good team this year and throwing them to the abyss. Nebraska has a similar situation going on with Scott Frost. They name a young QB the starter, people transfer, young qb one gets hurt now where do you go from here? Now this is Miami and I really shouldn't focus on some little random school from the Midwest :) but it's hard not to see the potential parallel.
Roman, I always enjoy your analysis so thanks. I want you to imagine something that could happen. Miami struggles against Toledo and the game is slipping away so Richt finally decides he has had enough of Malik. He looks at the three backups . My guess is that his gut tells him Jarren but he is so committed to experience over talent that he goes with Perry who has not a year but a half year more experience. What if Jarren is the one who transfer out. Richt has changed. At Ga. he had great qb’s with skill above the shoulders. Ha seems now-so enamored with RPO that he has forgotten that the first thing you expect of a qb is to have the analytical skill to read the defense and get the ball in the hands of your playmakers. Perry seems to me be a player that wil dazzle you with his mobility but will never be th qb that can beat Clemson or Bama. I really hope Coach will let it all hang out and pick the right guy.

Advertisement
True and a very emerging conundrum. Led the acc in interceptions a year ago. Part repeat of coach talk. No coach desires it tbh.

I think there is a byproduct of doubt that is starting to permeate into reality though. Richt said "if someone could play better, they will." That seems to have softened from the 100% endorsement we've heard in the past of malik.

Either way, can we agree that his recent performance, his inaccuracy, his penchant for throwing ints has affected the court of public opinion?

Agreed.

Thanks for addressing.

@Roman Marciante,

I don't think there's any question that you really know your stuff when you're breaking down these plays, the defenses, and the QB mechanics. My question, in regards to Williams's completion to Ezzard Stark, do you think HE saw all of that? By that, I mean do you think he understood the coverage, saw the defender buzzing out to his zone late, saw the high defenders, and factored all of that into throwing that pass where he did, the way he did?

If so, that's extremely impressive, and I will owe @SinCityCane an apology. And not one of these Urban Meyer "I'm sorry people got their feelings hurt" BS. A real one. No other QB on this roster has shown the ability to diagnose, process, and make that throw.

Roman, I always enjoy your analysis so thanks. I want you to imagine something that could happen. Miami struggles against Toledo and the game is slipping away so Richt finally decides he has had enough of Malik. He looks at the three backups . My guess is that his gut tells him Jarren but he is so committed to experience over talent that he goes with Perry who has not a year but a half year more experience. What if Jarren is the one who transfer out. Richt has changed. At Ga. he had great qb’s with skill above the shoulders. Ha seems now-so enamored with RPO that he has forgotten that the first thing you expect of a qb is to have the analytical skill to read the defense and get the ball in the hands of your playmakers. Perry seems to me be a player that wil dazzle you with his mobility but will never be th qb that can beat Clemson or Bama. I really hope Coach will let it all hang out and pick the right guy.

I'll try to address some of your points here. Actually after the first two weeks I really haven't seen the heavy rpo set emphasis from a year ago.

I think at this same point last year we would have seen 17 more bubbles off that iz/bubble.

Jarren might not be the starter this year but I fully anticipate him making the claim next year. He's very committed to getting better in his craft. So in that regard i'm not worried about him transferring out.

I think moving forward, coach has some better options. I appreciate malik's streak last year but I recall him never being recruited here to be the guy.

From here on out however, it's richt's QB he personally recruited. I'll trust that he makes the right decision.

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante,

I don't think there's any question that you really know your stuff when you're breaking down these plays, the defenses, and the QB mechanics. My question, in regards to Williams's completion to Ezzard Stark, do you think HE saw all of that? By that, I mean do you think he understood the coverage, saw the defender buzzing out to his zone late, saw the high defenders, and factored all of that into throwing that pass where he did, the way he did?

If so, that's extremely impressive, and I will owe @SinCityCane an apology. And not one of these Urban Meyer "I'm sorry people got their feelings hurt" BS. A real one. No other QB on this roster has shown the ability to diagnose, process, and make that throw.

I do. I'll break it down further.
Db back pedal, db spacing etc showed quarters coverage.

The combo high side was z go slot out.
The out is the correct throw. (The z go is meant to clear the cb which allows the out underneath to come open)

So first it went to the right guy. Ezzard. I think we can agree there. I honestly don't think that was a hard read to make tbh. Simply diagnose coverage as quarters and read one CB.

Now the play fake that came across the formation got the nickle to pause ever so slightly. That was honestly the most critical key here.

But where Williams excelled imo..is ..that even though he had that nickle getting depth, it was already too late for him and his ball was thrown despite the nickle being in his line of site.

So good read. Good throw (over the nickle) underneath the cb and safety, and good confidence to pull the trigger.

I'll give him credit on a tighter window throw there.

@Roman Marciante,

And for further evidence. Do you see why I said he's been doing this since high school? This throw was very similar in regards to why I say he has confidence to make tight window throws.

Advertisement
And for further evidence. Do you see why I said he's been doing this since high school? This throw was very similar in regards to why I say he has confidence to make tight window throws.

It's the second Twitter slide. Where you see when jarren is throwing what he actually sees from the pocket.

He threw his receiver open. His wr was behind a ref and a lb looking back at him but the completion was made beautifully into that window.

Advertisement
This is more reason why you take a QB every year. You got a bunch of Sophomores (RS-FR) and a true freshman competing for the job with the RS SR.

Where is the SR or JR QB on the roster competing with the RS SR?

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante,

Cheers

Advertisement
Back