From the Perch: Savannah State (part 2)

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
After exclusively focusing on Malik Rosier and N'Kosi Perry's performance in the Savannah State game in part one, it's time to regroup. InSight comes out of the locker room at half time with all of the adjustments necessary to beat the blitz. Cade Weldon and Jarren Williams both saw action this past Saturday vs the Tigers. Let's take a look if the young signal callers earned their stripes in this next edition of "From the Perch."

Cade Weldon saw his first ever collegiate action in the third quarter. Weldon had only one completion on two attempts. A 14 yard strike off a play action pass to tight end Brian Polendey. Weldon also scored on a 16 yard touchdown run with 52 seconds left in the third quarter. A quarterback keep off the zone read in which Weldon displayed some head first toughness plowing into the end zone. Weldon's trait of tough running was well documented in the rewind series and his willingness to sacrifice his body should come at no surprise.

Weldon did have a pass attempt that was put in harms way. (not pictured) A ball that could have been intercepted and this will need to be addressed moving forward. Richt simply does not have a high tolerance with his quarterbacks being loose with the football. Focusing on Weldon's completion you see simple I formation football from the 21 set. The play action fake does its job and sucks in both subsequent linebackers on the play. Weldon goes through his progressions and readjusts on his second read. A wide opened Polendey finds a soft spot in the zone and it is an easy pitch and catch.

The final quarterback to see the field and run anchor in the 4 person relay was Jarren Williams. William like Weldon had only one completion and also accounted for a rushing touchdown. Williams finished the night 1-3 for 17 yards. But let's talk about the reception. This easily was the best throw of the night for me. A 17 yard surgical strike to wide receiver Marquez Ezzard.

Miami comes out with 11 set personnel and have twin receivers lined up field side. The receivers will run a quarter killer concept Z go with underlying deep out from the slot. Williams has a subtle little play fake to halfback Robert Burns which is a very subtle and pivotal aspect of the play. The outside backer pauses just enough on the fake then immediately buzzes into his out coverage sensing no emergent responsibility in the flat.

The combination of the play fake and William's authority and command on this throw is what stand out. It was an impressively delivered wide side out that had a defender buzzing underneath the route. I did not consider this catch to be "high school open." Far from it. After the completion you'll see two more safeties converge on the play. This throw showed some anticipatory aspect and confidence in delivery.

On William's rushing touchdown it was reported by coach Richt that it wasn't intended to be a quarterback keep. Williams however did in fact keep it for the score much to the chagrin of Burns who was set to handle the touch. Tale of two tapes here for me. On Perry's interception Richt instructed that the receiver "would" be open when in fact he was not. Perry understandably trusted the coach and a turnover ensued. Conversely on William's TD run, the instinct was to take what was given and he scored unimpeded.

Now this might be reading way too far into the matter, but I like William's instinct to take what the defense gives you. Another thing that is very apparent, Williams has a quiet, confident, command presence about him. Going back to the spring game, Williams does not seem like a freshman out there. Just a walk in the park. I am not shy when I make this prediction. I firmly believe Williams plays for keeps next year and secures the starting position.

Playing the quarterback position is so much from the head up and listening to William's post game interview was insightful and immense. When Don Bailey Jr. asked Williams why he decided to come to Miami? Without hesitation he replied, "I came to Miami to win a national championship and I know I can do it here." On the conclusion of the night, I pegged Williams for two distinct awards. 1. Greatest throw of the night. 2. Greatest quote.

So after the two part series and placing all four quarterbacks under the microscope I am left with a simple conclusion. The current starter for the University is on borrowed time. I fully anticipate N'kosi Perry to play usurper and finish the season as the starter. Next year? You just might have to shuffle some of the names around when Jarren Williams has something to say about it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
He had another nice throw on the incompletion to Pope. He has twins field side with Pope and Ezzard slot. I can’t see route Ezzard runs but he throws another nice ball over the buzzing linebacker to Pope on what’s either an out or stop but Pope falls down. It would have been another 20+ yard pass play

After exclusively focusing on Malik Rosier and N'Kosi Perry's performance in the Savannah State game in part one, it's time to regroup. InSight comes out of the locker room at half time with all of the adjustments necessary to beat the blitz. Cade Weldon and Jarren Williams both saw action this past Saturday vs the Tigers. Let's take a look if the young signal callers earned their stripes in this next edition of "From the Perch."

Cade Weldon saw his first ever collegiate action in the third quarter. Weldon had only one completion on two attempts. A 14 yard strike off a play action pass to tight end Brian Polendey. Weldon also scored on a 16 yard touchdown run with 52 seconds left in the third quarter. A quarterback keep off the zone read in which Weldon displayed some head first toughness plowing into the end zone. Weldon's trait of tough running was well documented in the rewind series and his willingness to sacrifice his body should come at no surprise.

Weldon did have a pass attempt that was put in harms way. (not pictured) A ball that could have been intercepted and this will need to be addressed moving forward. Richt simply does not have a high tolerance with his quarterbacks being loose with the football. Focusing on Weldon's completion you see simple I formation football from the 21 set. The play action fake does its job and sucks in both subsequent linebackers on the play. Weldon goes through his progressions and readjusts on his second read. A wide opened Polendey finds a soft spot in the zone and it is an easy pitch and catch.

The final quarterback to see the field and run anchor in the 4 person relay was Jarren Williams. William like Weldon had only one completion and also accounted for a rushing touchdown. Williams finished the night 1-3 for 17 yards. But let's talk about the reception. This easily was the best throw of the night for me. A 17 yard surgical strike to wide receiver Marquez Ezzard.

Miami comes out with 11 set personnel and have twin receivers lined up field side. The receivers will run a quarter killer concept Z go with underlying deep out from the slot. Williams has a subtle little play fake to halfback Robert Burns which is a very subtle and pivotal aspect of the play. The outside backer pauses just enough on the fake then immediately buzzes into his out coverage sensing no emergent responsibility in the flat.

The combination of the play fake and William's authority and command on this throw is what stand out. It was an impressively delivered wide side out that had a defender buzzing underneath the route. I did not consider this catch to be "high school open." Far from it. After the completion you'll see two more safeties converge on the play. This throw showed some anticipatory aspect and confidence in delivery.

On William's rushing touchdown it was reported by coach Richt that it wasn't intended to be a quarterback keep. Williams however did in fact keep it for the score much to the chagrin of Burns who was set to handle the touch. Tale of two tapes here for me. On Perry's interception Richt instructed that the receiver "would" be open when in fact he was not. Perry understandably trusted the coach and a turnover ensued. Conversely on William's TD run, the instinct was to take what was given and he scored unimpeded.

Now this might be reading way too far into the matter, but I like William's instinct to take what the defense gives you. Another thing that is very apparent, Williams has a quiet, confident, command presence about him. Going back to the spring game, Williams does not seem like a freshman out there. Just a walk in the park. I am not shy when I make this prediction. I firmly believe Williams plays for keeps next year and secures the starting position.

Playing the quarterback position is so much from the head up and listening to William's post game interview was insightful and immense. When Don Bailey Jr. asked Williams why he decided to come to Miami? Without hesitation he replied, "I came to Miami to win a national championship and I know I can do it here." On the conclusion of the night, I pegged Williams for two distinct awards. 1. Greatest throw of the night. 2. Greatest quote.

So after the two part series and placing all four quarterbacks under the microscope I am left with a simple conclusion. The current starter for the University is on borrowed time. I fully anticipate N'kosi Perry to play usurper and finish the season as the starter. Next year? You just might have to shuffle some of the names around when Jarren Williams has something to say about it.

Great write up @Roman Marciante. Curious - if Jarren's a cut above the other QBs like some of us have thought for some time, why do you seem convinced that he won't make an impact until next year? You would think Malik's difficulties with the forward pass along with potentially turnover prone & similarly experienced QBs in front of him would make his taking over at some point this season at least somewhat likely. I think the talent/readiness disparity will be too much to ignore, especially as Richt continues to watch him perform on the field. Interested in your thoughts.

Advertisement
Richt is doing a tremendous job with the offense.

You gotta keep the competition going and force dudes to take spots with their play on the field. A lot of dudes are competing at QB, RB, WR, and everybody is bringing out the best in each other. By mid season the depth will benefit and we'll hopefully see the best players finish the year with the most reps. Goal is to win games each week and play our best ball at the end.

Great write up @Roman Marciante. Curious - if Jarren's a cut above the other QBs like some of us have thought for some time, why do you seem convinced that he won't make an impact until next year? You would think Malik's difficulties with the forward pass along with potentially turnover prone & similarly experienced QBs in front of him would make his taking over at some point this season at least somewhat likely. I think the talent/readiness disparity will be too much to ignore, especially as Richt continues to watch him perform on the field. Interested in your thoughts.
@Roman Marciante

I am also very interested in your thoughts on the question above.

@SinCityCane
That's an excellent question and I thought the exact same thing. I'm certainly not Roman but my personal thought are that Richt probably feels that for this season, Perry has a better grasp of the offense, the playbook and maybe a better understanding of exactly what Richt wants. Now obviously, that can change as the season progresses.

Great Great question. Ultimately for the longevity of the quarterback room is where my answer will lie. Jarren still needs to learn the playbook and where I am still a HUGE fan of his ability, you can't deny he has one less year in the system. The other issue is that if Richt does announce Williams as the starter this year, the mass defections on this roster could of potentially left you with one scholarship QB on the roster.

Then you are one QB injury away from squandering a really good team this year and throwing them to the abyss. Nebraska has a similar situation going on with Scott Frost. They name a young QB the starter, people transfer, young qb one gets hurt now where do you go from here? Now this is Miami and I really shouldn't focus on some little random school from the Midwest :) but it's hard not to see the potential parallel.

Advertisement
Great Great question. Ultimately for the longevity of the quarterback room is where my answer will lie. Jarren still needs to learn the playbook and where I am still a HUGE fan of his ability, you can't deny he has one less year in the system. The other issue is that if Richt does announce Williams as the starter this year, the mass defections on this roster could of potentially left you with one scholarship QB on the roster.

Then you are one QB injury away from squandering a really good team this year and throwing them to the abyss. Nebraska has a similar situation going on with Scott Frost. They name a young QB the starter, people transfer, young qb one gets hurt now where do you go from here? Now this is Miami and I really shouldn't focus on some little random school from the Midwest :) but it's hard not to see the potential parallel.

Agree with your take on things and believe this is why we need to bring in a QB in this class whether it's a grad transfer or a 2019 prospect. I can't see all 3 staying next year which again leaves the possibility of only 2 scholarship QB's.

Jarren's Spring game performance was especially impressive b/c h didn't know the plays. He was just out there reading the D and hitting the open guy. It shows his natural ability to play QB. Not all guys can do that.

Great write up, but question for the OP.

Why do we keep hearing about how Richt doesn’t have a tolerance for QBs being loose with the football, while Rosier turns it over pretty consistently?

Advertisement

Great write up @Roman Marciante!

Your football knowledge is impressive to say the least.

I agree completely that the longevity of the QB room is the utmost concern of CMR. It's obviously a huge jugging act having so much youth at the position and that youth still learning the playbook and the college level game.

You hit the nail on the head with the example you cited in Nebraska.

As much as we all would like to have better QB play, the long term implications of starting one of the young QB's has to be of the utmost concern.

Great write up, but question for the OP.

Why do we keep hearing about how Richt doesn’t have a tolerance for QBs being loose with the football, while Rosier turns it over pretty consistently?

True and a very emerging conundrum. Led the acc in interceptions a year ago. Part repeat of coach talk. No coach desires it tbh.

I think there is a byproduct of doubt that is starting to permeate into reality though. Richt said "if someone could play better, they will." That seems to have softened from the 100% endorsement we've heard in the past of malik.

Either way, can we agree that his recent performance, his inaccuracy, his penchant for throwing ints has affected the court of public opinion?

Just like the podcast, great stuff. I want to see more of Cade but I got this Tebow vibe about him. Tough. Gritty. Confident. Maybe a better passer than Tebow. He is a wildcard for me. Jarren should redshirt.

I just want one of them starting by NC game. Do not care which one. That being said I thought Williams looked more poised than the other 2. Way too few reps to annoit one of them yet

Advertisement
Back