From the Perch: KC vs LA

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Wow. What a game! The two most premier offensive teams in the NFL going head to head. Just wanted to do a bonus from the perch this week with a focus on the most offensively entertaining NFL game of the year. (I am way out of my comfort zone here)

Let's start inside the red zone on the goal line. Here is a Mesh Concept (Rub/Pick). KC uses 12 set personnel (1 rb/2 tight ends) in a 2 x 1 set. Kelce will line up in the slot and the in line tight end will set the mesh. He sets the depth and Kelce will try to rub elbows with his tight end mate. One of the subtle things that I saw microscopically, thanks to the telecast, is the stutter by Kelce which got the db flat on his heals.

If the running behemoth setting the pic didn't help out enough, add Kelce's subtle move which created enough space for Mahomes to throw an easy touchdown for the finisher. Hill is coming in from the Z position to set a double pick for good measure if needed. (didn't need it.) The mesh concept is an air raid staple and Mike Leech teaches and implements this concept very well. This is a consummate man beater.

Here is a brilliant use of tempo inside the red zone. Ram's head coach Sean McVay breaks the huddle and immediately jumps into a tight 3 x 1 set with the HB making it a 4 to the field. The advantage is coming quick to the line and making it a tight formation. (You aren't wasting time waiting for WR running out wide)

You'll see KC is not even set when the ball is snapped. That is the advantage. As an offense, you know the play, the defense does not. I just think of how defenses would have to work really hard mid week to defend this tactic. This is tempo pressure. Personally this was one of my favorite concepts of the night. One in which I immediately said to myself, "I'm stealing this."

Here you'll see the Rams actually running the same play twice. 11 Set (1 rb/1 tight end) in a 2 x 2 set. The Boundary 2 x 2 in stack. I love stacks because I feel it is easy to pre-read them. Pay attention to the rub route they run over the top of the drag. #dirty. Now play one they hit the Y out. (Cover 3 killer Z go/Y out)

Second play, same formation. (The in stack Wide Receivers simply switch their routes) Same z go y out to the field but McVay obviously liked the match up the first time when the tight end was matched up flexed outside. This time it's the go route for a TD. The match up wins this.

I like this play. Simple. Empty set. Bunch to the field. Stack to the boundary. It is so easy to read that stack. KC's defense plays it high/low and this screen call is perfect for it. Qb's can read this all day. Just need to account for the end but the Right Tackle does enough to factor and Goff throws the ball side arm to make sure it isn't tipped. (Throwing from multiple angles is SO IMPORTANT)

I think the formation is the key here. Simple tunnel screen, but by running it empty with a bunch to the field it is going to garner a lot of defensive attention. This is how you can wear the same blue suit (Tunnel screen) but wear different accessories with it. (Empty, bunch/stack)

And last clip but this is just classical all verticals from the trips side. The Hurricanes run this from 3 x 1 as well. But KC does a little simple wrinkle here. The X receiver just runs a hitch off the line. The Rams CB holds and sucks down. You add that with the fact the strong safety gets caught buzzing, this allows Kelce to run over the formation on the vertical.

All verticals is a staple but having the X receiver have the option to stop based on coverage is something I have asked for with the Hurricanes offense for a while. It just makes sense not to force things over the top if you don't need to. And in this case you can see how you can catch a defense perfectly sometimes when you do so.

In closing, during Dan Orlovsky's interview with the Orange Bowl Boys this week he mentioned to us how great offenses use, Tempo, Match ups, and formation to create the advantage. Orlovsky, the former NFL quarterback, wasn't kidding. As a padawan learner to the ways of the force it was amazing to see this in practice during last night's offensive fire work show.

After wanting to watch the NFL and seeing a big 12 game broke out, I know there is another level for the Hurricane's offense to achieve. If they insist on staying a pro style offense (which the line between pro and college is so obscured these days) then maybe take note of the pro offenses who are unstoppable these days. Tempo. Match ups. Formations. (You can add motion and spacing the field under formations too for the win)

Advertisement
Now this is cool, and timely.

And, yes re: Jeff Thomas and the tunnel screen.

Too subtle to email a link??

The two most premier offensive teams in the NFL going head to head.

288px-New_Orleans_Saints_logo.svg.png

Advertisement
Maybe you should start with something like the 1999 Rams. But the 2018 Rams vs KC???

You going to have Coach Richt like...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Do you mean this?

There it is.... thank you!

Regarding the stop a concept. What is it that you think is the hesitancy to implement that route? Given the way people are playing are all vertical concepts it seems like easy money for our very predictable 3rd and long situations. I guess there is potential error in the read, but that's every play. I fail to see what the risk is here.

There it is.... thank you!

Regarding the stop a concept. What is it that you think is the hesitancy to implement that route? Given the way people are playing are all vertical concepts it seems like easy money for our very predictable 3rd and long situations. I guess there is potential error in the read, but that's every play. I fail to see what the risk is here.

You are in the exact same boat as I am. He runs a choice route on his shallow cross so it is not like it isn't in the playbook. But It seems the choice adjustment is vs. bump or not. On all verticals if the defense is giving you all those yards underneath, I would think, like you, to automatically throttle that down. (at least on the outside)

Wow. What a game! The two most premier offensive teams in the NFL going head to head. Just wanted to do a bonus from the perch this week with a focus on the most offensively entertaining NFL game of the year. (I am way out of my comfort zone here)

Let's start inside the red zone on the goal line. Here is a Mesh Concept (Rub/Pick). KC uses 12 set personnel (1 rb/2 tight ends) in a 2 x 1 set. Kelce will line up in the slot and the in line tight end will set the mesh. He sets the depth and Kelce will try to rub elbows with his tight end mate. One of the subtle things that I saw microscopically, thanks to the telecast, is the stutter by Kelce which got the db flat on his heals.

If the running behemoth setting the pic didn't help out enough, add Kelce's subtle move which created enough space for Mahomes to throw an easy touchdown for the finisher. Hill is coming in from the Z position to set a double pick for good measure if needed. (didn't need it.) The mesh concept is an air raid staple and Mike Leech teaches and implements this concept very well. This is a consummate man beater.

Here is a brilliant use of tempo inside the red zone. Ram's head coach Sean McVay breaks the huddle and immediately jumps into a tight 3 x 1 set with the HB making it a 4 to the field. The advantage is coming quick to the line and making it a tight formation. (You aren't wasting time waiting for WR running out wide)

You'll see KC is not even set when the ball is snapped. That is the advantage. As an offense, you know the play, the defense does not. I just think of how defenses would have to work really hard mid week to defend this tactic. This is tempo pressure. Personally this was one of my favorite concepts of the night. One in which I immediately said to myself, "I'm stealing this."

Here you'll see the Rams actually running the same play twice. 11 Set (1 rb/1 tight end) in a 2 x 2 set. The Boundary 2 x 2 in stack. I love stacks because I feel it is easy to pre-read them. Pay attention to the rub route they run over the top of the drag. #dirty. Now play one they hit the Y out. (Cover 3 killer Z go/Y out)

Second play, same formation. (The in stack Wide Receivers simply switch their routes) Same z go y out to the field but McVay obviously liked the match up the first time when the tight end was matched up flexed outside. This time it's the go route for a TD. The match up wins this.

I like this play. Simple. Empty set. Bunch to the field. Stack to the boundary. It is so easy to read that stack. KC's defense plays it high/low and this screen call is perfect for it. Qb's can read this all day. Just need to account for the end but the Right Tackle does enough to factor and Goff throws the ball side arm to make sure it isn't tipped. (Throwing from multiple angles is SO IMPORTANT)

I think the formation is the key here. Simple tunnel screen, but by running it empty with a bunch to the field it is going to garner a lot of defensive attention. This is how you can wear the same blue suit (Tunnel screen) but wear different accessories with it. (Empty, bunch/stack)

And last clip but this is just classical all verticals from the trips side. The Hurricanes run this from 3 x 1 as well. But KC does a little simple wrinkle here. The X receiver just runs a hitch off the line. The Rams CB holds and sucks down. You add that with the fact the strong safety gets caught buzzing, this allows Kelce to run over the formation on the vertical.

All verticals is a staple but having the X receiver have the option to stop based on coverage is something I have asked for with the Hurricanes offense for a while. It just makes sense not to force things over the top if you don't need to. And in this case you can see how you can catch a defense perfectly sometimes when you do so.

In closing, during Dan Orlovsky's interview with the Orange Bowl Boys this week he mentioned to us how great offenses use, Tempo, Match ups, and formation to create the advantage. Orlovsky, the former NFL quarterback, wasn't kidding. As a padawan learner to the ways of the force it was amazing to see this in practice during last night's offensive fire work show.

After wanting to watch the NFL and seeing a big 12 game broke out, I know there is another level for the Hurricane's offense to achieve. If they insist on staying a pro style offense (which the line between pro and college is so obscured these days) then maybe take note of the pro offenses who are unstoppable these days. Tempo. Match ups. Formations. (You can add motion and spacing the field under formations too for the win)

Thank you for doing this. Your threads don't get enough love.

Advertisement
Hi Roman,

Do you think maybe CMR doesn't think Perry knows the playbook enough to run some of these plays?

Also has anyone reviewed if CMR ran any of these in 2016 with Kaaya?

Thanks for the write up!

This isn't a really extensive playbook now. I have a hard time believing the fact when someone has a hard time understanding it.

Big or not, the similarity in play calls are very frequent and abundant this year. There was more diversified passing concepts with kaaya.

Not a ton of mesh that I can recall and we don't really feature any of the other concepts that I posted. (Tunnel screen sure, but not like that)

Advertisement
Back