From the Perch: Duke

@Roman Marciante I appreciate all that you and @Lance Roffers have done to educate the fan base (well, those who want to be educated). It is immensely helpful in making informed and educated assessments of what has been a very messy story.

Here is my take: A coach who loses to the weakest teams on his schedule-- GT, UNC, FIU, Duke-- in the same season isn't likely to turn that around with one more season, but that appears what Miami is going to do.

That said, Manny isn't off in what he said Miami needed to do, he was terrible about implementing it however. Perhaps he doesn't have the right people in place, but as we saw with Willie Taggart, there's only so much these type of changes can fix. Yes, Orgeron has done well, but his staff wasn't systemically bad at any one time, and let's not kid ourselves about LSU's resources and booster support-- different animal.

If Manny has some remote chance of saving himself, he needs to make the cutthroat decision and let go of the entire staff. There's been horrible and incomprehensible failures in all 3 phases of the game, and they've been consistent all season. There's also been inexplicably bad playcalls from both coordinators, and Manny cannot afford to prop one up and still manage the program. His narrative has changed to this being an entire rebuild, so, rebuild it, top to bottom.

Advertisement
Zion Nelson is most certainly not an answer anywhere on the OL. Slow feet, that will never be corrected.

@Roman Marciante

Here is an interesting thought, how about the money they are raising for a billboard be donated to the UM in contingent that there would be a sit down lunch with Manny Diaz as a thank you. That would be an interesting platform for discussions with Manny about going to a spread offense.

Are you free for lunch with Manny? Oh don't forget to mention to Manny, that with the right sytem look what can happen.

Signed,

Peruche

I want a pro spread here that allows the ability to check out of a bad play. I would casually infuse that with multiplicity in sets and some baylor spread outside hash prerogatives to create even more space and turn a simple slant into a TD. When Miami's offense can take a simple slant to the house...I know we are back on track. (small little quirky barometer but space can do that for ya)

I would add some Fibonnacci as well!!! :)

BTW, for both posters and porsters, you should all be listening to Roman's OBB podcasts, which are fantastic. You can also attend and listen to them live; I have attended the one at Shenanigans in east broward.

Advertisement
corch diaz.jpg

@Roman Marciante I appreciate all that you and @Lance Roffers have done to educate the fan base (well, those who want to be educated). It is immensely helpful in making informed and educated assessments of what has been a very messy story.

Here is my take: A coach who loses to the weakest teams on his schedule-- GT, UNC, FIU, Duke-- in the same season isn't likely to turn that around with one more season, but that appears what Miami is going to do.

That said, Manny isn't off in what he said Miami needed to do, he was terrible about implementing it however. Perhaps he doesn't have the right people in place, but as we saw with Willie Taggart, there's only so much these type of changes can fix. Yes, Orgeron has done well, but his staff wasn't systemically bad at any one time, and let's not kid ourselves about LSU's resources and booster support-- different animal.

If Manny has some remote chance of saving himself, he needs to make the cutthroat decision and let go of the entire staff. There's been horrible and incomprehensible failures in all 3 phases of the game, and they've been consistent all season. There's also been inexplicably bad playcalls from both coordinators, and Manny cannot afford to prop one up and still manage the program. His narrative has changed to this being an entire rebuild, so, rebuild it, top to bottom.

I think a complete overhaul on offense and a direction to a more modern spread offense could result in near LSU type results IF certain individuals could put their ego at bay.

Even if an attack minded spread offense this year was able to beat Duke unc GT and fiu.. that's a step in the right direction and a 10 win season.

I am very clear after ONE ten win season in 17 years through all the quagmire and all the changes... one thing has remained. A blind allegiance to a clunky pro offense.

You win college football with great defense and running game. This defense has been top 3 under manny Diaz watch.

Offense hasn't been near top 25 in decades. Manny updated to a striker position. Changed schematically right? Now do the same on offense.

@Roman Marciante do you think Manny will get rid of Dan Enos regardless of what happens in the bowl game? Or do you think he'll base his decision on what happens in the bowl game?

I'm just concerned about fools gold.

I think something will change. I do. Only question I have is if that's telling his current oc to change...or change him all together.

Advertisement
I think a complete overhaul on offense and a direction to a more modern spread offense could result in near LSU type results IF certain individuals could put their ego at bay.

Even if an attack minded spread offense this year was able to beat Duke unc GT and fiu.. that's a step in the right direction and a 10 win season.

I am very clear after ONE ten win season in 17 years through all the quagmire and all the changes... one thing has remained. A blind allegiance to a clunky pro offense.

You win college football with great defense and running game. This defense has been top 3 under manny Diaz watch.

Offense hasn't been near top 25 in decades. Manny updated to a striker position. Changed schematically right? Now do the same on offense.

There's been some serious deficiencies on defense, too. 4th and 17 at UNC, 3rd and 19 at FIU, etc. We let up a few game winning drives as well. I just don't see Baker as adequate either. Manny had to get involved, he can't be propping up a coordinator, IMO.

@Roman Marciante

Here is an interesting thought, how about the money they are raising for a billboard be donated to the UM in contingent that there would be a sit down lunch with Manny Diaz as a thank you. That would be an interesting platform for discussions with Manny about going to a spread offense.

Are you free for lunch with Manny? Oh don't forget to mention to Manny, that with the right sytem look what can happen.

Signed,

Peruche
Schedule the lunch, jump Manny and drop his *** back in Tallahassee

At the most simple level, being a leader is not the same as being an analyst. Manny may be a good analyst. He may be able to assess what the team should do. He’s an okay talker, so he can also describe what the team should do. He cannot cause it to happen, however. No reason to expect that to change.

Advertisement

For reference

a serious question. does our school have a whole field view angle that we study in film? I only ask because I wish ESPN broad casted such a view for the whole game so we can analyze it as well. not just the condensed field view of the broadcast that we are accustomed to.

Zion Nelson is most certainly not an answer anywhere on the OL. Slow feet, that will never be corrected.

Nonsense. I keep being told that he is the "Lebron James" of the LT position, athletically.

The kid has spurts I will give him that but when hes bad, he is REALLY REALLY bad.

Advertisement
While I love what Shaq and Pinckney have done throughout their careers overall, I can't figure out what's going on with them on some of the plays. Is it bad coaching, or just experienced players who should know better, not doing their job correctly? Multiple times during the season, but especially the past two games (FIU and Duke) where we got gashed for long gains on inside runs by the RB or QB, at least one of Shaq and Pinckney appeared to be completely out of position, leaving a huge, gaping lane for the runner to go through. Multiple times I see one of them rushing full speed to one side of the line before the runner has even made a move, often leaving the area they came from completely vacant. Even worse, on a bunch of occasions I see one of them rush up into the line, right up the back of one of our D-linemen, filling the same exact space that the D-lineman is filling, and leaving, again, an enormous open lane for the runner to go through. Is it something about our scheme, or just poor discipline by the linebackers?

It will be 11 narrated game clips this week including an end of year unmasked candid commentary. Ultimately after arguably the two worst back to back losses in modern Miami Hurricane history there will be some questions. The game tape will roll and hopefully we will be able to have some answers on this edition of From the Perch. This week will also feature commentary at the end of the game clips and introduce a segment similar to my role on the Orange Bowl Boys. What do I think the Miami Hurricanes need to do moving forward? The end of the video will voice it all.

Some random take away points this week:
  • Jarren Williams was once again off this week
  • Dropped eyes to notice the rush (Hard not too)
  • Williams missed some open receivers this week and was not as accurate with the ball as he had been
  • Wide Receivers did not do a good job separating
  • Duke practically lived in man/press man coverage and did not fear our vertical passing game at all
  • Miami gave up 9 sacks and the offensive line took a collective 17 steps backwards after improving a few weeks prior
  • 3rd down woes continued (Miami 130/130 in the country in this metric)
  • Miami ran two unsuccessful tosses into the short side of the field on third down and acted like they NEVER ran it once in practice both times. They had ZERO clue on who to block
  • Enos does not call a game like he has deficiencies along the offensive line
  • Everyone took turns in the turnstile this week along the offensive line
  • Zion Nelson might not be the answer at LT next year. He regressed big time this game
  • Herbert was beaten almost consistently once he came in
  • The commentators on the TV broadcast criticizing Enos about his decision to have long developing pass plays was justified
  • Miami comes under center and it brings a lot of in the box defenders with them. Duke was super aggressive on early downs to combat the play-action game and it got Miami behind the sticks a time or two.
  • Duke's offense was able to gash Miami at times with simple numbers advantages and a mobile QB threat option
  • Perry was not efficient in relief, staring down receivers, putting balls in harms way and ultimately taking two sacks and allowing a turnover
  • I have to credit Will Mallory. The Boy played good
The regular season is now behind us boys and girls. Thank you for the ride and I appreciate all the constant feedback you have provided. I know I will get a ton of people who will not want to relive game film moments from that debacle and that is totally understandable. "Why do you do this to yourself Ro?" It is essentially my contribution to this site and I thoroughly enjoy watching film and just talking shop with fellow fans. As always, please help the cause and subscribe to the YouTube channel. I honestly changed to this format strictly for the InSight group who over the years told me that they cannot watch my clips on Twitter. Thanks.

Great Year Roman! Way to keep that same energy through a terrible year and boring offensive season.

Ultimately after arguably the two worst back to back losses in modern Miami Hurricane history there will be some questions.

I would argue they were basically meaningless. They might inspire an inner jolt but that jolt won't lead anywhere. If you watch the games 2 days after the fact and without emotion -- as I have done with FIU and Duke -- you see a remarkable number of ordinary players on both sides of the ball. Ordinary is being kind, in some instances. Contrast to the truly elite programs. I posted here in the first few weeks of the season at at least 20 Ohio State players were jumping off the screen. Naturally that prompted the strength of schedule simpletons to shout, "Who have they played?"

Let's see, at that point it was Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati and Indiana. It could have been anybody.

IMO, the two worst back to back defeats were midseason 2004. Miami was 6-0, ranked 4th in the nation and very much considered an elite program. We lost at Chapel Hill as 21.5 point favorites. The following week we were ranked 11th and hosted Clemson as 17 point favorites, losing that game also.

I realize FIU and Duke are lower echelon programs that the two opponents from 2004. But there is no symbolism whatsoever. That's why nobody across the nation cares. We are internally embarrassed while everyone else yawns. Contrast to midseason 2004 when those two defeats were a devastating sign of things to come in ACC games and for the program in general. I wasn't really surprised because I had argued we had no idea what we were getting into by trading the Big East for the ACC. Lots of scrappy programs in the ACC that have just enough talent and speed to jump up and bite, no matter the resume or reputation.

Really appreciate these. Also thanks for the monologue after the break down. Reasonable thoughts backed up with 12 games of evidence.

Advertisement
Back