From the Perch: Duke

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
It will be 11 narrated game clips this week including an end of year unmasked candid commentary. Ultimately after arguably the two worst back to back losses in modern Miami Hurricane history there will be some questions. The game tape will roll and hopefully we will be able to have some answers on this edition of From the Perch. This week will also feature commentary at the end of the game clips and introduce a segment similar to my role on the Orange Bowl Boys. What do I think the Miami Hurricanes need to do moving forward? The end of the video will voice it all.

Some random take away points this week:
  • Jarren Williams was once again off this week
  • Dropped eyes to notice the rush (Hard not too)
  • Williams missed some open receivers this week and was not as accurate with the ball as he had been
  • Wide Receivers did not do a good job separating
  • Duke practically lived in man/press man coverage and did not fear our vertical passing game at all
  • Miami gave up 9 sacks and the offensive line took a collective 17 steps backwards after improving a few weeks prior
  • 3rd down woes continued (Miami 130/130 in the country in this metric)
  • Miami ran two unsuccessful tosses into the short side of the field on third down and acted like they NEVER ran it once in practice both times. They had ZERO clue on who to block
  • Enos does not call a game like he has deficiencies along the offensive line
  • Everyone took turns in the turnstile this week along the offensive line
  • Zion Nelson might not be the answer at LT next year. He regressed big time this game
  • Herbert was beaten almost consistently once he came in
  • The commentators on the TV broadcast criticizing Enos about his decision to have long developing pass plays was justified
  • Miami comes under center and it brings a lot of in the box defenders with them. Duke was super aggressive on early downs to combat the play-action game and it got Miami behind the sticks a time or two.
  • Duke's offense was able to gash Miami at times with simple numbers advantages and a mobile QB threat option
  • Perry was not efficient in relief, staring down receivers, putting balls in harms way and ultimately taking two sacks and allowing a turnover
  • I have to credit Will Mallory. The Boy played good
The regular season is now behind us boys and girls. Thank you for the ride and I appreciate all the constant feedback you have provided. I know I will get a ton of people who will not want to relive game film moments from that debacle and that is totally understandable. "Why do you do this to yourself Ro?" It is essentially my contribution to this site and I thoroughly enjoy watching film and just talking shop with fellow fans. As always, please help the cause and subscribe to the YouTube channel. I honestly changed to this format strictly for the InSight group who over the years told me that they cannot watch my clips on Twitter. Thanks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
hey @Roman Marciante i think on Twitter you said the offense is to complicated for kids who don’t have 80 hrs a week to work on this stuff...Manny at one point this season said they have decided to go with development so do you think the plan is to build where kids are redshirting and learning for a year or 2 and they are hoping that will help?

I do agree we just need to run the spread tho this is just like Richt saying these plays worked 30 years ago

Advertisement
hey @Roman Marciante i think on Twitter you said the offense is to complicated for kids who don’t have 80 hrs a week to work on this stuff...Manny at one point this season said they have decided to go with development so do you think the plan is to build where kids are redshirting and learning for a year or 2 and they are hoping that will help?

I do agree we just need to run the spread tho this is just like Richt saying these plays worked 30 years ago

At 11 minute mark on that video I unmask and essentially answer this question. I think Miami needs to adopt to a pro spread and simplify it's system.

Advertisement
Thanks for what you've done this season @Roman Marciante. No doubt it hasn't been easy. Your break downs have been opening to say the least. My hope is the right people agree with your assessment and make the necessary changes.

Thanks again!

Advertisement
It will be 11 narrated game clips this week including an end of year unmasked candid commentary. Ultimately after arguably the two worst back to back losses in modern Miami Hurricane history there will be some questions. The game tape will roll and hopefully we will be able to have some answers on this edition of From the Perch. This week will also feature commentary at the end of the game clips and introduce a segment similar to my role on the Orange Bowl Boys. What do I think the Miami Hurricanes need to do moving forward? The end of the video will voice it all.

Some random take away points this week:
  • Jarren Williams was once again off this week
  • Dropped eyes to notice the rush (Hard not too)
  • Williams missed some open receivers this week and was not as accurate with the ball as he had been
  • Wide Receivers did not do a good job separating
  • Duke practically lived in man/press man coverage and did not fear our vertical passing game at all
  • Miami gave up 9 sacks and the offensive line took a collective 17 steps backwards after improving a few weeks prior
  • 3rd down woes continued (Miami 130/130 in the country in this metric)
  • Miami ran two unsuccessful tosses into the short side of the field on third down and acted like they NEVER ran in once in practice both times. They had ZERO clue on who to block
  • Enos does not call a game like he has deficiencies along the offensive line
  • Everyone took turns in the turnstile this week along the offensive line
  • Zion Nelson might not be the answer at LT next year. He regressed big time this game
  • Herbert was beaten almost consistently once he came in
  • The commentators on the TV broadcast criticizing Enos about his decision to have long developing pass plays was justified
  • Miami comes under center and it brings a lot of in the box defenders with them. Duke was super aggressive on early downs to combat the play-action game and it got Miami behind the sticks a time or two.
  • Duke's offense was able to gash Miami at times with simple numbers advantages and a mobile QB threat option
  • Perry was not efficient in relief, staring down receivers, putting balls in harms way and ultimately taking two sacks and allowing a turnover
  • I have to credit Will Mallory. The Boy played good
The regular season is now behind us boys and girls. Thank you for the ride and I appreciate all the constant feedback you have provided. I know I will get a ton of people who will not want to relive game film moments from that debacle and that is totally understandable. "Why do you do this to yourself Ro?" It is essentially my contribution to this site and I thoroughly enjoy watching film and just talking shop with fellow fans. As always, please help the cause and subscribe to the YouTube channel. I honestly changed to this format strictly for the InSight group who over the years told me that they cannot watch my clips on Twitter. Thanks.

Preach man. I agree with everything u say. who do u think should be the oc. I know have to go to a spread version of the offense. U imagine Miami in south florida heat running and up temp spread in this heat? u think duke/pitt/vt could keep up? I dont

For the people who want a short version of what Roman is saying about adopting a new system. Essentially, nothing is simple. Everything is multiple reads requiring an offensive line that we don’t have while the spread will allow to simply our reads and get the ball out quicker.

Throw your hat in for OC... send in your season's work.

Mircales may happen.

I will ALWAYS tip my hat to those full time guys. They are extremely hard working and sacrifice a TON. I know a couple full time College coaches and their families and that is a tough profession. I do not have it in me to do that. I just want to be the best husband I can be and the best father to my kids. I am a coach already BTW. I am the development coach for my son's 9u travel baseball team. LOL. I have a ton on my plate as it is. Season is coming to an end and this is the time of year I owe my wife a nice vacation.

Advertisement
great commentary. great job all season Roman. those tosses to the boundary without check with me´s is utter bull****.

I am just really concerned that after 12 games...Two simple toss plays and we literally blocked air on 4 potential tacklers. None of which BTW should have been unaccounted for. Something is definitely missing here.

For the people who want a short version of what Roman is saying about adopting a new system. Essentially, nothing is simple. Everything is multiple reads requiring an offensive line that we don’t have while the spread will allow to simply our reads and get the ball out quicker.

Yes. In that commentary I say the issue with pro for me is two fold. 1) If you don't have a stud offensive line, then don't bother. (I based that on a simple formula that no one has been able to beat Alabama with a pro offense (not even UGA and they have a pretty nice O-line) since LSU beat them 9-6 like almost 10 years ago) and 2) pro offenses with multiple formations require a ton of time to practice looks you might get on game day. These kids don't have the time to spend like pro counterparts. Spread numbers friendly tempo systems often really deadlock a defense into vanilla looks and you can really lock in a game plan much simpler that way. (plus 23/25 top offenses in the country run a spread including all 4 potential playoff teams)

Yes. In that commentary I say the issue with pro for me is two fold. 1) If you don't have a stud offensive line, then don't bother. (I based that on a simple formula that no one has been able to beat Alabama with a pro offense (not even UGA and they have a pretty nice O-line) since LSU beat them 9-6 like almost 10 years ago) and 2) pro offenses with multiple formations require a ton of time to practice looks you might get on game day. These kids don't have the time to spend like pro counterparts. Spread numbers friendly tempo systems often really deadlock a defense into vanilla looks and you can really lock in a game plan much simpler that way. (plus 23/25 top offenses in the country run a spread including all 4 potential playoff teams)
I just don’t understand what’s so hard about going spread. Plenty of schools run spread element and use High low reads/spacing to create mismatches and still use pro elements. Why in the heck can’t we do both?

I just don’t understand what’s so hard about going spread. Plenty of schools run spread element and use High low reads/spacing to create mismatches and still use pro elements. Why in the heck can’t we do both?

I want a pro spread here that allows the ability to check out of a bad play. I would casually infuse that with multiplicity in sets and some baylor spread outside hash prerogatives to create even more space and turn a simple slant into a TD. When Miami's offense can take a simple slant to the house...I know we are back on track. (small little quirky barometer but space can do that for ya)

Advertisement
Back