"From the Perch" Alabama Style

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
There was a request on the message board so the intent is to deliver. I just got done watching this film and I will admit, this is the first time I watched Alabama's offense with any kind of break down intent. But I just want to parallel some of the comments I made earlier from the week when "From the Perch" Duke was written.

"I instantly gravitate on film to over pursuit or sell out mentality. When a defense "sells out" they typically leave "something behind." If Miami can incorporate a slant RPO with the #2 WR (It would require riding the QB fake a little longer) it would have been a touchdown. The safeties over aggressive down hill nature left a gaping hole behind him. Sure you can play action off this look, but a post snap RPO look on this would be devastating vs. a defense who defends it this way." (FTP DUKE)

That is exactly what Alabama does here. 3x1 Set and this is a "POST SNAP" RPO in which TUA holds the play fake a little longer. By riding the HB down the line of scrimmage it allows the QB the ability to see if a defense is over committed. This was Greedy William's first touchdown given up on the season.

"Diversify your screen game. Add tunnel screens. H back screens. Double screens. I do not care. But at this point Miami's screen game consists of ONE HB slip screen. Switching the RB on either side of the QB to run it doesn't count." (FTP DUKE)

That is what I asked Miami's offense to do earlier in the week. And here you will see a brilliant screen design by Alabama. They Motion the HB into the field and go empty 3x1 from 11 set personnel. (1 HB, 1 TE) This is a heavy screen alert down for the defense. Defensive coordinators are typically LIVID that a third and long screen pops for a first.

But this was a screen design set up to perfection by Bama. Obviously you cannot use the same HB empty motion in the future on similar situations vs. future defenses (It will tip off any good DC) but the same simple slip screen Miami displays week to week in this situation fools no one at this point.

"The Rpo % is down from a year ago. It needs to go back up. But once again, post snap ones are just important in today"s game. Lining up and doing IZ/Bubbles off pre snap looks 90% of the time won't help either." (FTP DUKE)

This is exactly a cog that is making Alabama so deadly in this game. This is a post snap RPO. (could be anyway) Tua does have a good sense where this ball is going pre-snap. It will be a counter action with two pulling lineman and a counter from the HB.

The twins receivers in Tua's point of view are running a flat/slant combo. Jerry Jeudy ability takes care of the rest but this is SCHEMED open. The linebackers bite HARD on the counter action and pulling lineman and Tua throws into a wide open window. Yes. It is a slant. Yes. Miami runs slants and have run RPO slants. But this counter RPO is not in the Miami repertoire and a dangerous LB bait variety.

"In my opinion, part of the third down woes these past three weeks is based on the fact of over reliance on similar reoccurring plays. If you have been following "From the Perch" you know that trips to the field on short yardage third down situations will tip this combo: Z go with the #2 and #3 receivers running outs. No surprise. You will see it twice again this week. Duke runs man coverage and this is simply relying on execution to win. Wide receivers do not separate and it is punt time." (FTP DUKE)

Now I have no idea if Bama runs this 3 x 1 set to the field a ton but what I do know vs. Cover 1 man (The same look Duke gave us vs same trips formation) I tend to like this combo better. The double move by the #1 and #2 receiver's Z outs are more adept at creating space and the #1 TE corner is a mismatch.

This is a brilliant throw by Tua. True. Very Clean pocket as well. That is where Alabama talent is clear for the world to see. But I just do not want to ignore the fact that Bama created a mismatch with its tight end here and had a double move underlay.

In closing, I just want to say it is pretty clear that Alabama has superior talent and the offensive line is much better than Miami's. But it is also pretty clear that the play design and schematic advantage offensive coordinator Michael Locksley is creating is equally superior to ours. Their is no doubt in my mind that after watching Miami operate the past three weeks, Miami's offense could use a schematic infusion.

If you have been following "From the Perch" week to week I am pretty positive you will see these plays and realize Miami under coach Mark Richt are a straight forward bunch. But we need to get serious on this side of the ball in a hurry because that team in maroon is not going away any time soon. And eventually if Miami were to ever be serious contenders again, it would need to be constructed in a way that could beat a team that is practically unbeatable.

No pro style team has beaten Alabama in 8 years. (LSU was the last to do so) And News flash, Alabama is no longer a pro style offense in premise either. They have dominated the SEC as a result. The only offense capable of scoring on Alabama? Alabama's. Mark Richt might want to take notice because let's be honest, Saban has been one step ahead of Mark Richt his whole career.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agree with the concepts but sadly we do not have a qb that has played yet able to read the defenses to run an effective rpo.

Advertisement
Go back to that first play with Tua and you will also see a QB who make an accurate throw while not in perfect rhythm. Tua Pauses when a defender is in his way and needs to adjust and redeliver the football. Off platforming throws are something that HAS to be taught and impressed upon with a QB.

I equivocate it to Dirk Nowitski taking numerous off balance shots in order to become comfortable with it. If a QB is not accurate while not in perfect rhythm than I do not believe he can perform at a high enough level to execute. Because simply a defense has a job to do to. Their job is to tackle, make plays and disrupt your rhythm.

Perry, believe it or not, shows this trait and I have highlighted it on "From the Perch." When we have preached that Perry does things Malik simply cannot, that is not hyperbole.

In closing, I just want to say it is pretty clear that Alabama has superior talent and the offensive line is much better than Miami's. But it is also pretty clear that the play design and schematic advantage offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is creating is equally superior to ours. Their is no doubt in my mind that after watching Miami operate the past three weeks, Miami's offense could use a schematic infusion.

If you have been following "From the Perch" week to week I am pretty positive you will see these plays and realize Miami under coach Mark Richt are a straight forward bunch. But we need to get serious on this side of the ball in a hurry because that team in maroon is not going away any time soon. And eventually if Miami were to ever be serious contenders again, it would need to be constructed in a way that could beat a team that is practically unbeatable.

No pro style team has beaten Alabama in 8 years. (LSU was the last to do so) And News flash, Alabama is no longer a pro style offense in premise either. They have dominated the SEC as a result. The only offense capable of scoring on Alabama? Alabama's. Mark Richt might want to take notice because let's be honest, Saban has been one step ahead of Mark Richt his whole career.

All due respect about 8 years of dominance, but this is the first year I can remember them throwing the ball this way and it took an immense talent for that to happen. Their offenses of old have been beating teams with physical talent through attrition, but never with the tremendous amount of skill we've seen with Tua. Not defending Richt, because he's an adult and hasn't had a ton to work with at QB, but Greg Popovic is the perfect example...you just have to coach the guys you have to fundamentally play the game the right way.

The moment you compare 2018 Alabama and what their OC can do to Richt is the moment you come off the rails, because you can't pop wheelies until you learn how to ride the bike. That said, strong work as usual

Advertisement
I will not put this out on the news feed but there was a request on the message board so I wanted to deliver. I just got done watching this film and I will admit, this is the first time I watched Alabama's offense with any kid of break down intent. But I just want to parallel some of the comments I made earlier from the week when "From the Perch" Duke was written.

"I instantly gravitate on film to over pursuit or sell out mentality. When a defense "sells out" they typically leave "something behind." If Miami can incorporate a slant RPO with the #2 WR (It would require riding the QB fake a little longer) it would have been a touchdown. The safeties over aggressive down hill nature left a gaping hole behind him. Sure you can play action off this look, but a post snap RPO look on this would be devastating vs. a defense who defends it this way." (FTP DUKE)

That is exactly what Alabama does here. 3x1 Set and this is a "POST SNAP" RPO in which TUA holds the play fake a little longer. By riding the HB down the line of scrimmage it allows the QB the ability to see if a defense is over committed. This was Greedy William's first touchdown given up on the season.

"Diversify your screen game. Add tunnel screens. H back screens. Double screens. I do not care. But at this point Miami's screen game consists of ONE HB slip screen. Switching the RB on either side of the QB to run it doesn't count." (FTP DUKE)

That is what I asked Miami's offense to do earlier in the week. And here you will see a brilliant screen design by Alabama. They Motion the HB into the field and go empty 3x1 from 11 set personnel. (1 HB, 1 TE) This is a heavy screen alert down for the defense. Defensive coordinators are typically LIVID that a third and long screen pops for a first.

But this was a screen design set up to perfection by Bama. Obviously you cannot use the same HB empty motion in the future on similar situations vs. future defenses (It will tip off any good DC) but the same simple slip screen Miami displays week to week in this situation fools no one at this point.

"The Rpo % is down from a year ago. It needs to go back up. But once again, post snap ones are just important in today"s game. Lining up and doing IZ/Bubbles off pre snap looks 90% of the time won't help either." (FTP DUKE)

This is exactly a cog that is making Alabama so deadly in this game. This is a post snap RPO. (could be anyway) Tua does have a good sense where this ball is going pre-snap. It will be a counter action with two pulling lineman and a counter from the HB.

The twins receivers in Tua's point of view are running a flat/slant combo. Jerry Jeudy ability takes care of the rest but this is SCHEMED open. The linebackers bite HARD on the counter action and pulling lineman and Tua throws into a wide open window. Yes. It is a slant. Yes. Miami runs slants and have run RPO slants. But this counter RPO is not in the Miami repertoire and a dangerous LB bait variety.

"In my opinion, part of the third down woes these past three weeks is based on the fact of over reliance on similar reoccurring plays. If you have been following "From the Perch" you know that trips to the field on short yardage third down situations will tip this combo: Z go with the #2 and #3 receivers running outs. No surprise. You will see it twice again this week. Duke runs man coverage and this is simply relying on execution to win. Wide receivers do not separate and it is punt time." (FTP DUKE)

Now I have no idea if Bama runs this 3 x 1 set to the field a ton but what I do know vs. Cover 1 man (The same look Duke gave us vs same trips formation) I tend to like this combo better. The double move by the #1 and #2 receiver's Z outs are more adept at creating space and the #1 TE corner is a mismatch.

This is a brilliant throw by Tua. True. Very Clean pocket as well. That is where Alabama talent is clear for the world to see. But I just do not want to ignore the fact that Bama created a mismatch with its tight end here and had a double move underlay.

In closing, I just want to say it is pretty clear that Alabama has superior talent and the offensive line is much better than Miami's. But it is also pretty clear that the play design and schematic advantage offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is creating is equally superior to ours. Their is no doubt in my mind that after watching Miami operate the past three weeks, Miami's offense could use a schematic infusion.

Daboll is not the OC anymore. Hes with the Bills. Nevertheless great post!

All due respect about 8 years of dominance, but this is the first year I can remember them throwing the ball this way and it took an immense talent for that to happen. Their offenses of old have been beating teams with physical talent through attrition, but never with the tremendous amount of skill we've seen with Tua. Not defending Richt, because he's an adult and hasn't had a ton to work with at QB, but Greg Popovic is the perfect example...you just have to coach the guys you have to fundamentally play the game the right way.

You can't pop wheelies until you learn how to ride the bike. The moment you compare 2018 Alabama and what their OC can do to Richt is the moment you come off the rails. That said, strong work as usual.
[/QUOTE]

Coming off the rails is something I do on a weekly basis. :) It happens by default when I do a weekly podcast with a comedian radio personality, a guy who sits when he pees, and after doing a film review series on the most vanilla offense in the ACC.

Advertisement
Agree with the concepts but sadly we do not have a qb that has played yet able to read the defenses to run an effective rpo.

I politely disagree. Some things here in design that Miami has never shown. Riding a HB down the line and simply looking to see if a defense opens up is not hard to teach. Miami simply does not ride the HB down the line. Miami runs a slant RPO and with success at times but Miami has never run a slant rpo with counter action and two lineman pulling.

Advertisement
I will not put this out on the news feed but there was a request on the message board so I wanted to deliver. I just got done watching this film and I will admit, this is the first time I watched Alabama's offense with any kid of break down intent. But I just want to parallel some of the comments I made earlier from the week when "From the Perch" Duke was written.

Last year's UGA team very nearly took them down, and I don't think UGA has the talent that Alabama does. Tua does make them look unbeatable, but everyone thought the 2002 Miami team was invincible as well, yet a far inferior team beat us.

I mentioned that the next HC, or at the very least, next OC has to be an innovator. If going to take on Bama, he has to come up new plays and throw something at Alabama they haven't seen before. There is zero doubt in my mind that the next time Rick faces Alabama (God willing he is gone by then), he will roll in with his standard playbook- he might work a couple wrinkles in, but it will just be the standard stuff they practiced all offseason. It would take some luck and an exquisite gameplan, but I think even this Bama team can be beaten.

I know that it's going to be derided, but I think the guy who has the best chance to beat Saban is someone who has worked for Saban. One guy who probably ****ed Saban off more than any other coach he's had might fit the bill: Lane Kiffin.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/12/amari_cooper_explains_why_lane.html

I'd need to see more from Cristobal but he might be able to do it as well.

The other dude who simply does not give a flying f#ck about who Saban is and wouldn't be scared of him is my favorite coach/pirate, Mike Leach.

Its just like boxing or prize fighting, Saban gets in a lot of coaches heads, so they are beaten before their team sets foot on the field. You need someone who can unnerve him, and **** off the Bama players so they become more focused on revenge and make mistakes instead of executing like machines.

Last edited:
I politely disagree. Some things here in design that Miami has never shown. Riding a HB down the line and simply looking to see if a defense opens up is not hard to teach. Miami simply does not ride the HB down the line. Miami runs a slant RPO and with success at times but Miami has never run a slant rpo with counter action and two lineman pulling.

@Roman Marciante i would be interested in seeing one done on the Richt and Kaaya years. Maybe a game like the WVU bowl game to see if the offense had anymore schematic advantages with a better quarterback

Last year's UGA team very nearly took them down, and I don't think UGA has the talent that Alabama does. Tua does make them look unbeatable, but everyone thought the 2002 Miami team was invincible as well, yet a far inferior team beat us.

I mentioned that the next HC, or at the very least, next OC has to be an innovator. If going to take on Bama, he has to come up new plays and throw something at Alabama they haven't seen before. There is zero doubt in my mind that the next time Rick faces Alabama (God willing he is gone by then), he will roll in with his standard playbook- he might work a couple wrinkles in, but it will just be the standard stuff they practiced all offseason. It would take some luck and an exquisite gameplan, but I think even this Bama team can be beaten.

I know that it's going to be derided, but I think the guy who has the best chance to beat Saban is someone who has worked for Saban. One guy who probably ****ed Saban off more than any other coach he's had might fit the bill: Lane Kiffin.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/12/amari_cooper_explains_why_lane.html

I'd need to see more from Cristobal but he might be able to do it as well.

The other dude who simply does not give a flying f#ck about who Saban is and wouldn't be scared of him is my favorite coach/pirate, Mike Leach.

Its just like boxing or prize fighting, Saban gets in a lot of coaches heads, so they are beaten before their team sets foot on the field. You need someone who can unnerve him, and **** off the Bama players so they become more focused on revenge and make mistakes instead of executing like machines.

UGA was the next "closest" pro style team that "almost" beat Saban. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. But Alabama, to Saban's credit, changed his offense completely this year.

I honestly think Saban and his staff thought about what offense would they least want to face off against, and this 2018 Bama offense was born. Those post snap RPO's are lethal. They throw in tempo, they got creative in the screen game, they spread you out. Geesh.

Bama honestly runs an offense closer to a big 12 offense and Oklahoma. Which btw, put up a lot of points on.......Georgia.

@Roman Marciante i would be interested in seeing one done on the Richt and Kaaya years. Maybe a game like the WVU bowl game to see if the offense had anymore schematic advantages with a better quarterback

Had different concepts they employed that year sure. After the VT loss that year, they went to a quick gun offense and honestly ran a more mix match run style (pin pull/zone/power) I always said Miami needed to start with the Run game diversification first. That will always help you schematically.

This past week vs Duke did. They ran for 300 yards. I wasn't avoiding your point with a better quarterback, I just wanted to bring up that any quarterback is better with a better running attack.

Advertisement
Back