From the Herald

"The three things that jump out to me that we have identified as areas that we need to make progress in -- and are making progress -- that I would have never guessed going to the University of Miami,'' he said, "are conditioning, strength and nutrition.''

This statement says a lot

The nutritionist is a big part of it.

Advertisement
We have the same strength and conditioning coach from before. Did Swasey get better as a coach? The obvious answer is that the coach's approach or philosophy towards conditioning changed. Of course the player's attitude and commitment level into the strength program is important too.

I am just curious to know what was the difference in between Shannon's and Golden's approach to conditioning.

Do you build your program for brute strength, or do you go lean and mean for agility and speed?

This, Golden gave Swassey the system he wanted to use and said implement it, clearly at his worked better than previous programs.

What system is that? You think Golden is telling Swasey what kind of exercises to do? What's Golden's background in s/c?

I don't think Golden's done much to Swasey at all. I just think he's set a tone for the program in terms of what he expects guys to do. It's about tone and accountability. If you cant do 20 reps, you aren't going to play DT for him. When you set an expectation for what you will and won't tolerate, players have to fall in line with that to play. That makes Swasey's job easier--what you need as a strength coach primarily is commitment. I think guys under Shannon got complacent--the guys who have their own ethic worked but those that didn't didn't. Then younger guys getting phased in had poor examples and didn't know what ethic was.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that Golden had to teach swasey something. It'd be 20x easier to just go find a new guy who actually knows something. Why have a mindless puppet over a professional? Would you hire somebody just to have to teach them something about which you know little?

We have the same strength and conditioning coach from before. Did Swasey get better as a coach? The obvious answer is that the coach's approach or philosophy towards conditioning changed. Of course the player's attitude and commitment level into the strength program is important too.

I am just curious to know what was the difference in between Shannon's and Golden's approach to conditioning.

Do you build your program for brute strength, or do you go lean and mean for agility and speed?

This, Golden gave Swassey the system he wanted to use and said implement it, clearly at his worked better than previous programs.

What system is that? You think Golden is telling Swasey what kind of exercises to do? What's Golden's background in s/c?

I don't think Golden's done much to Swasey at all. I just think he's set a tone for the program in terms of what he expects guys to do. It's about tone and accountability. If you cant do 20 reps, you aren't going to play DT for him. When you set an expectation for what you will and won't tolerate, players have to fall in line with that to play. That makes Swasey's job easier--what you need as a strength coach primarily is commitment. I think guys under Shannon got complacent--the guys who have their own ethic worked but those that didn't didn't. Then younger guys getting phased in had poor examples and didn't know what ethic was.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that Golden had to teach swasey something. It'd be 20x easier to just go find a new guy who actually knows something. Why have a mindless puppet over a professional? Would you hire somebody just to have to teach them something about which you know little?

If you believe that you're nuts. Golden and company most certainly had their hands all over the changes made in our strength and conditioning. Do you think Swassey came up with U tough? That's Golden's model.

We have gone off Swassey enough in the past, but dude doesn't even have the credentials of nearly 80% of the S&C coaches around the country. He is implementing the program Golden wants run.

i think that golden is actually holding people accountable for results. in shannons program it was like showing up counted for workouts. i see Al as the type of coach that will jump in and work out with the players to show he puts work in. i didn't see that from randy. randy wanted to be disciplinarian but only wanted to hold his non favorites to the rules. while his starters/favorites were allowed to put in whatever work ethic they wanted. but that is my opinion

UM running back Mike James, one of the best lifters on the team, pound-for-pound, told me he's in the best shape of his life at about "223, 224 pounds,"

Holy ****! 223,224 pounds???? This guy really let himself go.

let himself go how... he is lean and in the best shape of his life... thats all muscle

Advertisement

I don't think Golden is showing Swasey new exercises but its pretty clear things are not the same. There is a much bigger emphasis on Nutrition and overall Strength, from recruiting on down, we expect our team to be putting in extra work in the weightroom year round. There has been a complete culture change i don't think one can argue that.

If you believe that you're nuts. Golden and company most certainly had their hands all over the changes made in our strength and conditioning. Do you think Swassey came up with U tough? That's Golden's

We have gone off Swassey enough in the past, but dude doesn't even have the credentials of nearly 80% of the S&C coaches around the country. He is implementing the program Golden wants run.

What's utough? You tell me

Advertisement

If you believe that you're nuts. Golden and company most certainly had their hands all over the changes made in our strength and conditioning. Do you think Swassey came up with U tough? That's Golden's model.

This. The thing is swasey has to have a micro-manager or he wouldn't be successful. That in my book doesn't make a good S&C coach.

And if you don’t think swasey is being micro-managed, then you haven’t been paying attention the last 10 years.

We still have folks with a "certain" agenda like PMC defending this incompetent fool we have running our strength program. lol. We all know why PMC is doing it and that he wouldnt be doing it if Swasey did not share a certain aspect with PMC.

Remember, PMC was defending Shammin to the last breath. And scapegoating Coker and Whipple for all of SHammin's failures.

I just think that Shannon trusted Swasey too much given past history, and let him kind of slack off...and when you do that, the players fall right in line, and slack off themselves (that is, until it's time to earn a draft spot when the NFL comes calling).

Golden demands that Swasey whip these kids into shape, is probably asking for metrics to be tracked on each and every player's conditioning/strength/nutrition that were never tracked under Shannon. Golden's just putting special emphasis on getting better in the off-season than what Shannon ever did, because Shannon expected the kids to take responsibility--whereas Golden MAKES them take responsibility if they want to see the field.

Leadership and expectations come from the top down. Shannon wasn't a leader and therefore the program lacked accountability. You give someone an inch, they take a foot and it trickles down to the staff and the players.

Golden lets everyone know what he expects out of them (coaches, players, staff, etc), you don't get it done then you are out. Swasey knows if he doesn't get the results Golden expects then he is out of a job, that's pretty big motivation to get the job done.

Advertisement
Back