From the Herald

bbcane

Senior
Siap
Conditioning is not "punitive,'' UM Canes coach Golden says; And NCAA hits UCF with sanctions
Just a little more than two days before the Hurricanes take to Greentree Field with Coach Al Golden and company to embark on a new season.
And what a year Golden has been through. He was asked the other day about the things he didn't anticipate a year ago at this time. He got right to some off-the-field issues -- NCAA investigation not included.
"The three things that jump out to me that we have identified as areas that we need to make progress in -- and are making progress -- that I would have never guessed going to the University of Miami,'' he said, "are conditioning, strength and nutrition.''
*He mentioned the combination of those three factors "and what it means to our team in terms of how we execute and how we play, perform in the fourth quarter and don't atrophy as the season evolves.
"I'm just saying in particular that teams that really don't have discipline in terms of their strength and conditioning, that really don't pay the price in the whole off-season, have a hard time staying strong and being as strong in November [as] they are in September -- have a hard time finishing games. There were a lot of opportunities where we did not finish.
"It's my team. It's not a function of the players; It's a function of what we demand and expect.''
Golden said he is using a nutritionist, educating players about what they should eat and drink, and monitoring their body weights -- "holding them accountable [and] creating more competition in the weight room.
"We didn't have a bencher [who could lift] over 400 [pounds] a year ago and now we have three. We didn't have anybody who could do 225 [pounds] 30 times, a year ago. Zero. Now we have 11.''
Golden said the players are holding each other accountable in the weight room and "not treating conditioning as punitive.''
UM running back Mike James, one of the best lifters on the team, pound-for-pound, told me he's in the best shape of his life at about "223, 224 pounds," and went from 375 to 400 on the bench, 500 to 525 in the squat and 310 to 320 in the power clean.
Cornerback Brandon McGee said he improved his squat max from 385 to 415 and is benching 300 now, up from 255.

Advertisement
UM running back Mike James, one of the best lifters on the team, pound-for-pound, told me he's in the best shape of his life at about "223, 224 pounds,"

Holy ****! 223,224 pounds???? This guy really let himself go.

Advertisement
Starting to get giddy thinking about finally having a well prepared year out there for the first time in years.

Tide is turning no doubt, but just remember that the Canes will be very young. I think we are still another season away from achieving success...

Starting to get giddy thinking about finally having a well prepared year out there for the first time in years.

Advertisement
We have the same strength and conditioning coach from before. Did Swasey get better as a coach? The obvious answer is that the coach's approach or philosophy towards conditioning changed. Of course the player's attitude and commitment level into the strength program is important too.

I am just curious to know what was the difference in between Shannon's and Golden's approach to conditioning.

Do you build your program for brute strength, or do you go lean and mean for agility and speed?

We have the same strength and conditioning coach from before. Did Swasey get better as a coach? The obvious answer is that the coach's approach or philosophy towards conditioning changed. Of course the player's attitude and commitment level into the strength program is important too.

I am just curious to know what was the difference in between Shannon's and Golden's approach to conditioning.

Do you build your program for brute strength, or do you go lean and mean for agility and speed?
I just think that Shannon trusted Swasey too much given past history, and let him kind of slack off...and when you do that, the players fall right in line, and slack off themselves (that is, until it's time to earn a draft spot when the NFL comes calling).

Golden demands that Swasey whip these kids into shape, is probably asking for metrics to be tracked on each and every player's conditioning/strength/nutrition that were never tracked under Shannon. Golden's just putting special emphasis on getting better in the off-season than what Shannon ever did, because Shannon expected the kids to take responsibility--whereas Golden MAKES them take responsibility if they want to see the field.

Tide is turning no doubt, but just remember that the Canes will be very young. I think we are still another season away from achieving success...

I can live more with freshman mistakes than 4/5 year guys being weak & bone-headed. Also, I'm looking for the new cats to have a shorter learning curve.

Advertisement

This, Golden gave Swassey the system he wanted to use and said implement it, clearly at his worked better than previous programs.

Falling off from September to November was the most obvious thing about Shannon's teams. They looked reasonably good to start the year, and then looked like crap down the stretch.

2007: started 5-3, finished 0-4
2008: started 7-3, finished 0-3
2009: started 5-1, finished 4-3
2010: started 5-2, finished 2-4

Shannon's September Record: 10-5
Shannon's November Record: 7-9

I can live more with freshman mistakes than 4/5 year guys being weak & bone-headed. Also, I'm looking for the new cats to have a shorter learning curve.

The young guys will make mistakes and they will need a full off-season in U tough before truly making huge jumps, but I agree I would rather have talented kids making youthful mistakes versus mediocre 3-4 year players getting torched because they are playing when they shouldn't be.

Advertisement
The thing that worries me the least about our young guys is we won't be counting on them in the trenches. We might some situational action from McCord or Hoilett, maybe Briscoe. Ereck Flowers might play if there are injuries. That's about it for the bigs.

I can live with freshmen corners and receivers. Those are 2 positions where you can succeed when you're young (runningback too).

"The three things that jump out to me that we have identified as areas that we need to make progress in -- and are making progress -- that I would have never guessed going to the University of Miami,'' he said, "are conditioning, strength and nutrition.''

This statement says a lot

Bottom line, we are in far better physical shape then we've been in 5 years or so. Golden has an agenda that Shannon assumed the kids would do themselves.

Here's an older article on the S&C approach since Golden took over:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2012/05/canes-are-seeing-results-in-the-weight-room-closing-in-on-4010-goal.html

Advertisement
Back