From Sunday's paper

Torocane

Senior
SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

"With spring practice opening Tuesday, the list of issues that Mark Richt needs to fix with this Hurricanes football program is pretty substantial. Some buzz on five critical ones and what UM coaches are saying about them:

• Rushing defense. One constant in recent years: The Canes have usually been gouged by opponents that run the ball effectively. Miami finished 102nd of 127 FBS teams in run defense last season, allowing 201 yards per game.

By contrast, how have new coordinator Manny Diaz’s defenses fared against the run?

It’s a mixed bag. In his last four full seasons as a coordinator (2011 and 2012 with Texas, 2014 with Louisiana Tech and 2015 with Mississippi State), his units ranked sixth, 101st, 23rd and 70th vs. the run.

UM returns a decent group of defensive tackles, including Courtel Jenkins, Kendrick Norton, Anthony Moten, former Gator Gerald Willis (impressive on the scout team). But there’s no can’t-miss star in the group (though Norton and Willis have high ceilings). The linebackers and ends also must do a better job against the run.

“First and foremost, we’ve got to improve our run defense,” Diaz said. “We’ve got to make it harder to run the football on because if they can run it on you, they can do whatever they want to. That will be a major point of emphasis this spring. We have to get the guys we have to be better. There’s no free agency. We are going to make sure we are defined by our toughness first. And the toughest guys will play.”

• More pressure on the quarterback. UM ranked 61st, 115th, 44th, 63rd and 65th in sacks in Mark D’Onofrio’s five years as coordinator. By comparison, Diaz’s defenses ranked 30th, 16th, 16th and 42nd in sacks in his last four full seasons as a coordinator.

Diaz blitzes more than D’Onofrio did and lets his linemen play more instinctively, something players are excited about.

“You can’t have robots,” UM cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph said. “[Last season], I saw as an outsider looking in, just watching, some days it was players not playing tough, some days not enough energy. Who knew what it was? [This defense] is going to be really fun. We want to get the fun back into the game.”

• Rushing offense. UM averaged a meager 3.4 yards per carry last season, which ranked 102nd of 127 teams, and down from 5.2 in 2014, when Duke Johnson received the majority of carries.

Conversely, Georgia ranked 8th and 16th in yards per carry the past two seasons, at 6.0 and 5.2.

Former coordinator James Coley said blocking was primarily to blame for UM’s low rushing average last season. Ballyhooed freshman Mark Walton averaged just 3.5 yards per carry and said he improved only when he stopped trying to appease the former coaches.

Every running back and starting offensive linemen return, and UM also welcomes back Gus Edwards (5.4 career average) from injury.

Richt intends to use a fullback more than UM did last season. “You look at what's he done in the past, he's been very successful with a fullback in the game,” said tight ends coach Todd Hartley, who was on Richt’s staff at Georgia. “I would think he would want to try to find one. We have some guys on campus we think can do that.”

Respected offensive line coach Stacy Searels, Art Kehoe’s replacement, said: “We are going to have the KISS philosophy. Keep it simple, stupid, and play fast. We are in a system we’re very comfortable with. It’s a system we ran at LSU and Georgia.”

• Third down offensive issues and predictability. UM converted only 35 percent of third-down chances into first downs, ranking 107th in the country.

And that’s nothing new. UM was 98th in 2013, 95th in 2014. That’s clearly underachieving considering Miami’s talent level. In the Sun Bowl, in particular, too many third-down throws were well short of the first down line, reminiscent of the Dolphins.

Georgia --- under Richt --- was awful on third downs last season (119th, 31.3 percent), but that appears to be an anomaly and Richt did not call the plays, something he will do at Miami. The Bulldogs were 17th in third down conversions in 2012 and ninth in 2014 (49.1 percent).

Then there’s the predictability issue on offense, which was apparently more of a problem than most knew. According to a UM offensive player, Clemson and North Carolina players were calling out UM’s plays seconds before they were run. Under Richt, UM presumably will become less predictable in certain formations.

This staff wants to leave defenses guessing.

“It's a multiple pro style offense,” Hartley said. “People think pro style, they think two back, I-formation. There's going to be some of that. There's also going to be a lot of one-back, too.

“You go back and look at his last few years at Georgia, they were shotgun probably more than they were under center. They were three wide receivers and a tight end [some]. He is going to do what best fits the personnel on the roster.”

• Penalties. Richt has told people that UM must become more disciplined, and that’s pretty obvious. UM’s 84 penalty yards per game led the nation.

Hoping it translates to the field, Richt has tried to build discipline by making players run early-morning sprints if they’re a minute late to a meeting or have messy locker-room. If one player messes up in arduous “mat drills,” the entire position group must do the exercise again.

From a penalty perspective, Georgia had mixed recent results under Richt. Georgia ranked in the bottom half of penalty yards from 2011 through 2013 (67th, 91st, 69th) but had the 27th and 25th fewest penalty yards the past two seasons."

Advertisement
I liked Searels comment on keeping it simple and playing fast. The last 2 staffs have suffered from paralysis from analysis. Run the play and be the tougher SOB's up front and we should see marked improvement. Gotta make OL and RB's happy.

Go Canes!

Coley blames the blocking for our rushing woes. How about how predictable your play calling was?

Sorry *** wannabe OC...Glad Richt didn't keep him around...No wonder Jimbo didn't allow him to call plays at FSU.

We far better off no matter what perspective you look at things. Fact remains we had only one decent coach, Beard. Now we have a real complete coaching staff, recruiters and admin staff. We will be better and that's an undeniable fact. By 2018 we'll be a real force to be reckoned with.

Then there’s the predictability issue on offense, which was apparently more of a problem than most knew. According to a UM offensive player, Clemson and North Carolina players were calling out UM’s plays seconds before they were run. Under Richt, UM presumably will become less predictable in certain formations.
."
Lol Most of us armchair quatebacks on this board could call our offensive plays out from our couch. Without any film study.

Advertisement
It's funny how when the staph was here, UM "beat writers" only pointed out positive stats. Now that they're gone, now they highlight how atrocious this coaching staph were! Those looked like Div II numbers!

I don't know what happened at Texas from 2011 to 2012 in terms of talent level and experience but 101st vs the run is totally unacceptable as is the 70th finish vs the run at Miss St last year. Diaz's defenses were significantly better that Dorito over that five year strech. Dorito averaging being 70th in QB sacks while Diaz averaged being 26th in sacks.

My thoughts on Diaz going forward are that Mark Richt didn't bring him here to produce mediocre defenses. I believe that Richt sees a ton of potential in Diaz and feels he has learned from his experience and is a coach on the rise. I also believe that pairing him with coach Kool and the types of players we bring in to this program will help him take his defense to an elite level. Diaz will be given every opportunity and resources to make it happen which I would define as producing consistent top 10 defenses with the yearly goal of being the best defense in the nation. If Diaz shows he can't achieve that, then Brother Richt will have no problem donning his black cape and sickle and becoming The Grim Richter.

I don't know what happened at Texas from 2011 to 2012 in terms of talent level and experience but 101st vs the run is totally unacceptable as is the 70th finish vs the run at Miss St last year. Diaz's defenses were significantly better that Dorito over that five year strech especially in sacks. Dorito averaging 70th in QB sacks while Diaz averaged being 26th in sacks.

My thoughts on Diaz going forward are that Mark Richt didn't bring him here to produce mediocre defenses. I believe that Richt sees a ton of potential in Diaz and feels he has learned from his experience and is a coach on the rise. I also believe that pairing him with coach Kool and the types of players we bring in to this program will help him take his defense to an elite level. Diaz will be given every opportunity and resources to make it happen which I would define as producing consistent top 10 defenses with the yearly goal of being the best defense in the nation. If Diaz shows he can't achieve that, then Brother Richt will have no problem donning his black cape and sickle and becoming The Grim Richter.

Last edited:
I still can't believe there were some people who thought Coley should be retained.

He was Pat Nix level bad as an OC

Advertisement
Not encouraged by those stats from Richt and Diaz

If you are referring to 3rd down conversion rate, remember they lost their best running back early and did not have a reliable QB. I mean he was relying on a Virginia reject as QB. Say what you want about being in that position in the first place, but the fact is both his QB's last year did not belong on the roster.

Not encouraged by those stats from Richt and Diaz

If you are referring to 3rd down conversion rate, remember they lost their best running back early and did not have a reliable QB. I mean he was relying on a Virginia reject as QB. Say what you want about being in that position in the first place, but the fact is both his QB's last year did not belong on the roster.

Regardless that's all on Richt.

I don't know what happened at Texas from 2011 to 2012 in terms of talent level and experience but 101st vs the run is totally unacceptable as is the 70th finish vs the run at Miss St last year. Diaz's defenses were significantly better that Dorito over that five year strech. Dorito averaging being 70th in QB sacks while Diaz averaged being 26th in sacks.

My Texas friends say that the HC forced a change in Diaz's defense to help in recruiting. They went from a "cover" defensive backfield to an "attack" with CBs like most of the Texas HS play. It didn't work and someone had to go other than the HC..............I have not watched the film to verify this, but the guys know football................

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back