Freshman All-American

1hurricane

Sophomore
Ok guys we've had two Freshman All-Americans 2 years in a row (Richards and Donaldson) and think we will make it 3 in a row. Here is my Top 5:

1. Brevin Jordan
2. Nkosi Perry
3. Delone Scaife
4. Mark Pope
5. Lorezno Lingard

Who you got????

Advertisement
I’d say Brevin has the best chance because of the depth at TE. Just as long as we have a QB who can get him the ball in space so he can YAC it up.

I will say Lingard. He just seems to have everything a back needs to make a splash in year one. And not much pressure since Homer is the clear number one.
I expect him to put up better numbers than Duke did his first year.

Advertisement
Jordan or Scaife due to depth as posted above

Any of those 5 have the talent for it though

Whichever freshman QB wins the job. Lingard and Jordan. Perhaps Scaife, with Silvera getting enough time to have a chance as well. We have some real difference makers coming in to a team trending upwards, which means they will get a lot of attention.

Advertisement
I think we play a lot of young guys on offense next season, so multiple possible on offense.
Perry/Williams
Jordan
Mallory
Lo
Scaife and possibly Reed
I think it will be hard for a receiver to earn it because we have talent at receiver already on the roster, but my guess for freshman AA would be Hightower. Came away extremely impressed by him from his performance at the AAA game. Love Pope too though.

Defense
Nesta
Hall
Campbell

Advertisement
If we are to have an ACC championship season we are going to need at least 1. Definitely need the QB to win (Perry or Williams) and probably will need one of the TE, most likely Jordan. I could also possibly see one or two of: Nesta, Scaife, Lo, Hall, or Pope.

Brevin is going to have the best chance cause he will be the day one starter....all the others will be splitting time except for Perry who maybe if Brevin makes it he will too because of it..

Advertisement
Brevin Jordan is the perfect mashup of talent and opportunity. We need a tight end to step up, and we're happy to feed the position. He's a crazy all-around talent. Richt has all but announced him the starter in interviews. Not always the best spot to put a freshman in, but it feels like it will be a disappointment if he doesn't have a productive year.

If Perry wins the job, it stands to reason he will produce. If we win the Atlantic again with him at QB, he'll be an AA. Of course, this award could also just go to a guy in a high-volume offense. Corral at Ole Miss?

Lingard certainly has the talent, but Homer is no bum, and it's fair to wonder how many carries they each get.

Same can be said of Hightower and Pope. Will they achieve a volume of targets necessary in a position group with Richards, Thomas, Cager, and Harley? I think not.

Scaife has a ton of talent too, but for a freshman to start in the trenches they either need to be a generational talent, or move into a talent vacuum. We have, with the addition of Boulware, 5 players capable of playing in the interior. I don't think he's a starter this year.

The same might apply to Nesta, but I think he has a clearer path to PT given all the DT question marks. Dude has looked like the best tackle in the land this season, and we don't know much of anything for sure about our depth chart. He's a real possibility.

If we land Campbell, his talent alone will force him on the field and may make him a candidate. Of the currently committed DBs, Gurvan Hall has, I think, the best opportunity this year. He's a chip off the Earl Thomas block, and the biggest thing our safety room lacks is range. If he gets to wear the turnover chain 5 or 6 times next year, he'll make some AA teams.

Brevin, Nesta, Gurvan, and N'Kosi seem to me the likeliest candidates.

I've seen Brevin Jordan play live many times. I live near the school he plays at and while I have no personal interest in their school, they play a lot of top high school teams so I like to check those games out. He's a lock for the freshman all america team and possibly 2nd team all american for all players. Dude is a baller. He's going to break a lot of tackles and punish defensive backs as he has good speed, shifty feet, and plays angry and will plow defenders over. He will win a lot of 50/50 balls and most importantly, he will help whoever is our qb to convert 3rd downs. I haven't seen much of Mallory, but I'm sure with 2 good TEs, our offense should move the chains better and put more points on the board.

Don't sleep on one of the current CB signees. Great opportunity for them and think they have immediate impact talent.

Advertisement
Back